Waived: Justin Holl

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I guess that's where the disconnect lies. People want half our defense waived yet they should be performing much better as a unit. Make it make sense.
Fair point. To clarify a couple things, at least in my opinion:

1) I'm underwhelmed by a few of Detroit's defensemen. But I personally am not advocating to waive half the defense. (Understood that thoughts on this vary significantly.)

2) I should say that TEAM defense should be better with existing personnel. I think the forwards get too much of a free pass, especially with Yzerman not keeping guys like Sprong and Fabbri. I like the potential of our prospects to eventually improve this area, but current forwards should help out the defense a bit more, and some of that can also come down to coaching strategy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think there's room for a middle ground. The defense should not be quite this bad with existing personnel, whether that means an update to the system they play and/or an update to the assignments/combinations.

Nobody can play a perfect game, but I expect more from both the players and the coaches. And to @Oddbob 's point, I still see a great deal of, "let the players sort it out themselves" from Lalonde, and I think he needs to adjust to be more hands on.

That's kind of where I'm at. In the recent postgame presser from NYR there were some comments from the team about some players not putting in the work defensively. I still don't think Patrick Kane is the right fit for this team short or long term and he's a player that definitely falls into that category of not really caring about defense.

Last edited:

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
That's kind of where I'm at. In the recent postgame presser from NYR there were some comments from the team about some players not putting in the work defensively. I still don't think Patrick Kane is the right fit for this team short or long term and he's a player that definitely falls into that category of not really caring about defense.
Patrick Kane cared about defense a couple times, dude; when he was accused of sexual assault, and when he stood up for a guy who turned a blind eye to rape, and enabled future rapes.

Too soon?

Go Wings!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad