Waived: Justin Holl

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank god we finally got rid of him. No idea why yzerman feels the need to give out bad contracts to mediocre to bad players just to do it. Guys like holl shouldn’t be getting 3 year contracts from us, ever. Hopefully this is a lesson for Stevie.
Unfortunately he was a better option for a bottom pair Dman than what we had at the time in GR…Sad, but true.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Holl treated like complete crap by the organization, never really got a chance

Not a big deal but I feel bad for him besides the money he’s getting
I was one that didn’t hate the signing since at the time he was a reasonable bottom pairing option…I don’t seem to recall anything good or bad about him :dunno:

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
In a league with 34 or 36 teams players with the quality of him would still have a roster spot on one NHL team.

In the end he was needed to fill the roster as RD last year and at the time Petry was not available.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
leafs fans hated holl n had a chuckle when he got the deal he did

It was only his mistakes at the 2023 playoffs, which did create ultimate hate from Leafs fans. That fansbase is 100x more crazy finding for scapegoats, so it was understandable.

His regular season was pretty good and no one cared before that. Was playing only for 2M.

Holl did work pretty good for us with Chiarot, but after Chiarot was moved back with Seider, then Holl didn't work with anyone anymore.

No one will claim him from waivers, so Holl will still be there as our 8th defenceman. Used at an injury logjam, if something like that happens.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
As the team improves he should be able to attract better free agents. As they’re crawling out of the basement you’re gonna a lot of get cast offs and reclamation projects.

Now that the wings barely missed the playoffs and the kids are improving hopefully the days of Holl Petry signings are behind us.
Holl was a swing and a miss. Petry is on his farewell tour this year and brings leadership and experience.

ALL NHL GM's take their best shot, and some signings don't work out as planned. Yzerman is one of the best GM's in the league, but he's not God.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Holl was a swing and a miss. Petry is on his farewell tour this year and brings leadership and experience.

ALL NHL GM's take their best shot, and some signings don't work out as planned. Yzerman is one of the best GM's in the league, but he's not God.
Agreed. I think yzermans feelings about Holl were revealed in part when he went out and got Petry.

Reactions: sepster

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How do you have this kind of disconnect between your pro scouts and GM?
There is no disconnect. Pro scouts don't offer contracts. And it's not like July and early August does anything to change the opinion of a player. Holl was acquired to be a RD stop gap. Petry was unceremoniously dropped in our lap a month and a half later because Pittsburgh wanted to try the Karlsson experience. We did Hughes/Petry a favor. We weren't banging down Pitt/Montreal's door trying to acquire Petry.

It's retcon nonsense trying to argue we shopped for Petry because we didn't want Holl. And it was the infatuation with Ghost that kept Holl out of the lineup. Not Petry.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What makes it a disconnect, as opposed to just a failure on the part of the pro scouts?
Pro scouts suggesting signing someone and then not using him at all and signing someone else very similar right afterwards.

Whole thing played out very oddly, IMO

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
How do you have this kind of disconnect between your pro scouts and GM?
I don’t know that it was some huge disconnect. I don’t remember the free agent market that well then but my guess is Holl was one of the few scraps left for right handed D. They signed him as such then Petry became available who they likely felt was an upgrade or at least hedging their bets.

I didn’t watch a lot of Holl in Toronto but hoped that playing significantly fewer minutes he’d look better. Maybe they were thinking the same? He played almost 5 mins less TOI but Petry was stilll better.

It’s definitely not one of Yzermans shining moments but I’m glad they’re freeing up the roster spot by waiving him.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Pro scouts suggesting signing someone and then not using him at all and signing someone else very similar right afterwards.

Whole thing played out very oddly, IMO
In terms of how it played out in relation to Petry... he fell into our lap after the Holl signing, no?

I think it went something like:

- Red Wings had a need for a 2nd/3rd-pair right-side defenseman who can play defense (as opposed to, say, Ghost)
- Red Wings pro scouts scan the market and identify Holl as the best candidate they can realistically get their hands on
- Red Wings sign Holl
- Petry, whom the Wings consider to be in a higher tier than Holl, falls into their lap
- Holl now becomes redundant and relegated to mostly unneeded depth
- Holl ultimately gets waived because there's just no real role for him to play, and his roster spot was better utilized for something more valuable (looks like Watson for now)

In this scenario, I can't really blame Yzerman or the pro scouts too much, although I still do think Holl wasn't worth that contract, even if Petry never showed up and Holl got a bigger role. Maybe that's more on Yzerman, but we don't know how hard the pro scouts were selling Holl to Yzerman. In the end though, it's a pretty minor "error" in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: sepster

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In terms of how it played out in relation to Petry... he fell into our lap after the Holl signing, no?

I think it went something like:

- Red Wings had a need for a 2nd/3rd-pair right-side defenseman who can play defense (as opposed to, say, Ghost)
- Red Wings pro scouts scan the market and identify Holl as the best candidate they can realistically get their hands on
- Red Wings sign Holl
- Petry, whom the Wings consider to be in a higher tier than Holl, falls into their lap
- Holl now becomes redundant and relegated to mostly unneeded depth
- Holl ultimately gets waived because there's just no real role for him to play, and his roster spot was better utilized for something more valuable (looks like Watson for now)

In this scenario, I can't really blame Yzerman or the pro scouts too much, although I still do think Holl wasn't worth that contract, even if Petry never showed up and Holl got a bigger role. Maybe that's more on Yzerman, but we don't know how hard the pro scouts were selling Holl to Yzerman. In the end though, it's a pretty minor "error" in the grand scheme of things.
If you like Holl why do you care that Petry is available?

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
If you like Holl why do you care that Petry is available?
I think just because you like Petry more and didn't know he was going to become available.

But I do think, based on Holl's contract, it wouldn't seem like they like Petry that much more, at least at first. However, the way their respective deployments played out would suggest that they do. Which is where I think the door is open for the pro scouts to have made a mistake in their valuation of Holl.

It is indeed a little bit of a weird situation either way.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Petry and holl both suck, and I feel that Johansson could have provided the same thing as them for a fraction of the cost and would have had the luxury of getting a potential piece valuable experience on the roster instead of delaying it. Petry I at least get because he was like 1 million in cap space and is better than holl, but we are actively paying holl to NOT play for us. 3.4 for 2 years still wasted for actually no reason for a role a rookie could have done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad