Player Discussion Justin Brazeau

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I like this kids determination and skill. However, unless he improves his skating drastically I prefer he remain a 12/13th forward who has the skill to play up occasionally. If he skated as well as JVR he would be a staple in the top 9.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Well I should have known that clip was coming. How did you think he looked on the back check. I hadn’t seen a guy that far behind the play that often since playing Squirt hockey back in the 80’s.
It's amazing you can't bring up a valid point here or criticism without a fan getting offended

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It's amazing you can't bring up a valid point here or criticism without a fan getting offended
You think the post you quoted showed that I was offended? I was continuing the conversation by asking a question in response to the video clip. Can you tell me what I said that implied I took offense? Was it my tone?

Reactions: drkfluff

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
You think the post you quoted showed that I was offended? I was continuing the conversation by asking a question in response to the video clip. Can you tell me what I said that implied I took offense? Was it my tone?
No not at all. I took it as you making a very good point and new topic of discussion then a simple video post of a goal with no comments, kind of dismissing what I thought was a a valid concern and talking point

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
No not at all. I took it as you making a very good point and new topic of discussion then a simple video post of a goal with no comments, kind of dismissing what I thought was a a valid concern and talking point
Okay. My misunderstanding.

However, I think the video post was also valid in the context of the conversation. I do wonder how the poster feels overall about Brazeau’s skating and whether or not it is a limitation?

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well I should have known that clip was coming. How did you think he looked on the back check. I hadn’t seen a guy that far behind the play that often since playing Squirt hockey back in the 80’s.
I thought you were criticizing his skating- but apparently it's his backchecking that's the issue for you. I thought he was better than advertised all around. Made a great impression with the time he had in Boston. Looking forward to more.

Okay. My misunderstanding.

However, I think the video post was also valid in the context of the conversation. I do wonder how the poster feels overall about Brazeau’s skating and whether or not it is a limitation?
The reports were that skating would be an issue. But when he made the jump skating wasn't an issue.

Reactions: PB37

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Perhaps you were watching Maroon instead?

Brazeau skates well enough for the size and was actually close enough to the play to finish hits on the forehead. Heavy hits.

Maroon was the player decades behind the puck.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I thought you were criticizing his skating- but apparently it's his backchecking that's the issue for you. I thought he was better than advertised all around. Made a great impression with the time he had in Boston. Looking forward to more.
I am criticizing his skating. I believe that clip was an outlier in that it showed the best case scenario for Brazeau. Straight line speed is not great but his speed moving laterally is atrocious. Add to that he beat out a defenseman who had been gassed on the shift.

I mean I don’t think his back check is bad due to effort ala Kessel in his Bruin days. I think he gets caught behind because he can’t keep up with nhl pace. It’s the skating.

Reactions: drkfluff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I am criticizing his skating. I believe that clip was an outlier in that it showed the best case scenario for Brazeau. Straight line speed is not great but his speed moving laterally is atrocious. Add to that he beat out a defenseman who had been gassed on the shift.

I mean I don’t think his back check is bad due to effort ala Kessel in his Bruin days. I think he gets caught behind because he can’t keep up with nhl pace. It’s the skating.
Disagree that anything in his game was "atrocious" in Boston last year. For a guy seeing his first NHL action he sure didn't look like he was "struggling to keep up" to me. JVR and Maroon were another story.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Disagree that anything in his game was "atrocious" in Boston last year. For a guy seeing his first NHL action he sure didn't look like he was "struggling to keep up" to me. JVR and Maroon were another story.
I agree. He was impressive; showed great hands; good hockey sense; and decent speed for a guy his size. I'd like to see what he can do on the second line (prefer him to Geekie). I like Geekie on the third line.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
His skating and speed were much better than advertised. He's got a great power stride.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRMAN

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
curious about others' thoughts on brazeau. this is just MO, but seems like he's struggling with the speed of early season hockey. there's a lot of chaos right now, kind of way more frenetic than in say
december/later when the rink gets a bit smaller. he impressed me down the stretch last year and is a RH forward with good hands and a huge body. i'd be patient with him. guys like jones, tufte, etc...they can go if we need room for johnson or a providence guy with talent.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
curious about others' thoughts on brazeau. this is just MO, but seems like he's struggling with the speed of early season hockey. there's a lot of chaos right now, kind of way more frenetic than in say
december/later when the rink gets a bit smaller. he impressed me down the stretch last year and is a RH forward with good hands and a huge body. i'd be patient with him. guys like jones, tufte, etc...they can go if we need room for johnson or a providence guy with talent.
I liked him a lot last year, and I don't think you take this small sample early on too seriously since the entire team has looked bad, but on the other end of it there is a real possibility that last year was a flash in the pan.

I still believe he can be a late bloomer, 20 goal guy with his hands and willingness to park in front of the net

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm still on the Brazeau train. His willingness to park in front of the net is priceless on a team struggling to score & who have a bad tendency to shoot from 15-20 feet away into the goalie's chest, blocker or glove.

Reactions: NDiesel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad