Player Discussion Justin Barron

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Barron is in the Petry and Matheson mold of a D with size, skating, offensive ability, but needs time and the right environment/opportunity to put it together. Petry broke out at 30, Matheson at 28ish, we can hope for better but the realistically we should expect 5-6 years of ups and downs with Barron.

So the real question is can we deal with those 5+ years of learning/growth in order to see him reach his potential as a #2-3 type of D? I do expect that he will have a pretty good NHL career when all is said and done, but whether it's with us or some other team is probably dependent on how quickly Mailloux and Reinbacher can start having an impact.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Barron is in the Petry and Matheson mold of a D with size, skating, offensive ability, but needs time and the right environment/opportunity to put it together. Petry broke out at 30, Matheson at 28ish, we can hope for better but the realistically we should expect 5-6 years of ups and downs with Barron.

So the real question is can we deal with those 5+ years of learning/growth in order to see him reach his potential as a #2-3 type of D? I do expect that he will have a pretty good NHL career when all is said and done, but whether it's with us or some other team is probably dependent on how quickly Mailloux and Reinbacher can start having an impact.
No, we shouldn’t wait 5-6 years to develop a mid/lower pairing d-man if we can find better elsewhere sooner.

Last edited:

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

I totally agree with Matheson comparison and all the rest. Barron will be a very good NHLer, but I do not think it will be with Habs. Both Mailloux and Reinbacher have more upside plus we still have Guhle or Engstrom who can both play right side. It looks like Savard is finished, he is 34 and not in a good shape. I would really prefer to have some vet presence on right side as well. Trade Barron + for Erik Cernak might be an interesting option for both sides. Cernak would bring Stanley cup champ experience and he would fit perfectly next to Hutson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad