Player Discussion Justin Barron

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Mailloux played 75 regular season OHL games in his career. He played 72 regular season AHL games last season. Despite his paltry OHL experience, he had a great offensive season in the AHL. People need to relax and stay patient. give him 2 more seasons in the A to learn.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mailloux played 75 regular season OHL games in his career. He played 72 regular season AHL games last season. Despite his paltry OHL experience, he had a great offensive season in the AHL. People need to relax and stay patient. give him 2 more seasons in the A to learn.
Remember how Detroit use to keep their prospects in the AHL for about 200 AHL games? I know young talent helps with the Cap but you simply can't rush kids that aren't ready. I am a huge Mailloux fan but based on what I have seen neither he or Roy should start the year in Montreal. Why not let them develop a bit longer?

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
I think Newhook can be an upgrade on prime Byron. Prime Byron was faster and really dangerous on the counter strike. But Newhook has more skill and may be our 3c, or at least a better option at C in case of injuries.
I hope so. Prime Byron was faster, and once he learned to convert those breakaways, he was a useful and unique threat as well as a great penalty killer. If Newhook could develop unique (to the team) tools that reliably create goals, it would be great.

Reactions: 26Mats

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
Remember how Detroit use to keep their prospects in the AHL for about 200 AHL games? I know young talent helps with the Cap but you simply can't rush kids that aren't ready. I am a huge Mailloux fan but based on what I have seen neither he or Roy should start the year in Montreal. Why not let them develop a bit longer?
I agreee but I think Roy is a little bit further along than you surmise

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm wondering what they are saying about Roy behind closed doors?
He did a fairly decent job when he got called up but I'm also certain they can't be enamored with his effort this camp.
You witnessed the same stretches of zzzzz In Laval I did.
I also hate when a player isn't able to help the farm when they are returned to the AHL.
He was sent down for a purpose not as a punishment.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
I feel like hockey player must be banned from skiing in the off-season with the relatively high chance of knee injuries versus other sports.
If they are, you should wouldn't know it from all the players I've know that have skied during the season.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Im surprised people are surprised. His game is still very raw, despite how good he is at getting pucks to the net and using his shot. His skating has been overrated as well. He has strong strides making his straight ahead speed good, but he's not a very agile player and he makes so many poor decisions defensively. It was insane to read Mailloux was better than Reinbacher when it wasn't at all that close to be frank. Barron had a good enough camp though. He makes the team.
Barron came too far too quick, never had the base. Missed a lot of time. lost half his draft year to illness. The next season lost part to COVID and injury. At 19 he was pro. That's young for a D to be in NHL. By 20 traded to Montreal, up and down between there and Laval. Going to be hard now because former first pick can't get him thru waivers.

Unless defenseman is exceptional, it doesn't hurt nothing to finish their amateur career. Then most should play 2 years of AHL hockey.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He's looked alright so far.

Yep.

Barron hasn't been great at all thus far, but I actually think he's been the more dependable of our two bottom-pairing defensemen to start the year.

He's become one of our main whipping boys on this board though, with every mistake of his magnified while our posters are much more lenient on a guy like Xhekaj.

And unless Barron massively improves in all facets of the game he won't change peoples' minds about him despite his "acceptable" performance in this very early part of the season.

Such is the life of an HfBoards' Montreal Canadiens' whipping boy.

Last edited:

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Yep.

Barron hasn't been great at all thus far, but I actually think he's been the more dependable of our two bottom-pairing defensemen to start the year.

He's become one of our main whipping boys on this board though, with every mistake of his magnified while our posters are much more lenient on a guy like Xhekaj.

And unless Barron massively improves in all facets of the game he won't change peoples' minds about him despite his "acceptable" performance in this very early part of the season.

It's very odd. Xhekaj has not looked great but physical he fights he has a lot of defenders yet Barron who's looked more solid gets whipped.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's looked alright so far.

If you are talking about Barron (this thread has been hi-jacked by Joshua Roy lol) then I disagree as he has made numerous mistakes and frustrates the sh*t out of me.

I have refrained from dumping on him up until now as I don't like giving up on young dmen so early but the kid's IQ is miniscule and he is just too naturally passive and withdrawn for my liking.

His skating is beautiful but even when he is trying to be offensive and rushes the puck he ALWAYS blindly throws the puck into the middle....I seriously say terrible things when he does this as he has consistently done this since we acquired him. Either shoot the puck on net or pull up and find a better option.....or just hold on to the puck a little longer instead of throwing it in the middle like a mindless bag of meat.

You can literally feel his anxiety as he nears his dumping spot and if it doesn't stop I don't think there is much hope.

I am sure Marty has spoke to him about this but he just doesn't feel comfortable in the spotlight and sh*ts the bed on queue without fail.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fans and media swear he's been awful.

But MSL has been using him on the PK.

In reality the worst Dman on the team through 3 games has been Xhekaj…but he's “cool” so he gets a pass I guess.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yep.

Xhekaj has not played well either as he is not moving his feet to create passing lanes and is instead launching missiles at the forwards that are too hot to handle or just off the mark, resulting in icing calls.

He is still better than Barron as at least Xhekaj has been effective at clearing the front of the net and providing an intimidating presence. Barron has just been bad in all three zones and is making it difficult for Hughes to get any value for him.

Barron needs a moment where the switch suddenly turns on as he is a mess imo. Perhaps it is just anxiety/confidence that are the problem and his IQ is better than it appears but whatever the reason, he is not good enough and when Struble returns it will be tough to keep him in the lineup despite the fact that we would have 5 LD's dressed.

I am not entirely giving up on him but I have been around this game long enough to know how this most likely turns out.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

In reality the worst Dman on the team through 3 games has been Xhekaj…but he's “cool” so he gets a pass I guess.

Both have been used on the pk but because of the lack of RHD's Barron has seen more time.

Xhekaj looked better than Barron against Ottawa and I expect that trend to continue.

Reactions: Sagikev

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Xhekaj has not played well either as he is not moving his feet to create passing lanes and is instead launching missiles at the forwards that are too hot to handle or just off the mark, resulting in icing calls.

He is still better than Barron as at least Xhekaj has been effective at clearing the front of the net and providing an intimidating presence. Barron has just been bad in all three zones and is making it difficult for Hughes to get any value for him.

Barron needs a moment where the switch suddenly turns on as he is a mess imo. Perhaps it is just anxiety/confidence that are the problem and his IQ is better than it appears but whatever the reason, he is not good enough and when Struble returns it will be tough to keep him in the lineup despite the fact that we would have 5 LD's dressed.

I am not entirely giving up on him but I have been around this game long enough to know how this most likely turns out.
Exactly. I'm not giving up on Barron either as he's still just 22, but he has to show some real growth this year or he'll get passed by other players real quick. He does some good stuff sometime, but the blind passes or dumps in the middle are annoying. There was an instance vs Ottawa where he cleared the zone 3 times in a row by dumping the puck in a Sens players hand in the middle of the ice, resulting in us getting hemmed in our zone.

He still shows some good, and Xhekaj has also been mid, but at least he's still physical and can clear the crease. JB needs to be a bit meaner. He throws a good hit here and there, but he needs to be tougher in front of the net or in the corner, or at least tie sticks up. I feel like he always needs a second more to make a play which is bad news in a player.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Xhekaj has the x-factor: he can play the body and brings the physical element that is non-negotiable necessary, especially for a team that isn't particularly physical

Barron has the opposite of that: he's afraid of contact which means that unless he's Hutson-level confident with the puck, he will always seem to underwhelm

Their defensive game is as bad as the other's, so that factor is neutral. It's easier to make a d-man look competent in his zone with a tighter scheme than it is to teach a d-man to play the body and not shy away from contact.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Xhekaj has the x-factor: he can play the body and brings the physical element that is non-negotiable necessary, especially for a team that isn't particularly physical

Barron has the opposite of that: he's afraid of contact which means that unless he's Hutson-level confident with the puck, he will always seem to underwhelm

Their defensive game is as bad as the other's, so that factor is neutral. It's easier to make a d-man look competent in his zone with a tighter scheme than it is to teach a d-man to play the body and not shy away from contact.
Don’t forget Xhekaj is back from a big injury . He’s just starting to heat up

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I find that Barron has at least tried to play a bit more physical this season. The things he needed to work on, I find he's been at least solid at this year. He's playing a bit more assertively.

His issue will always be that unless he produces points, people won’t like his game.

I just don't rate that he's a whipping boy and people just wait to magnify mistakes while ignoring solid play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad