Player Discussion Justin Barron

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agreed. There were a couple of plays that I saw that indicate it's still an issue. To me, it looked like hesitation. Is it lack of confidence or a lack of hockey sense? We can only find that out by him playing him a lot with a regular partner.
He should be the one getting a second look tonight, not Logan Mailloux.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I really wish this is the year he figures it out. He's got so many good tools and I love his skating. If he could just eliminate the brain farts he's be incredible.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He was fairly good yesterday, no one else beside Hutson really had a better showing.
he had 2-3 good event joining the rush, may of had 2 or 3 event where he didn’t look as good, decision, hesitant but everyone had similar issue. We know his qualities we need to know he is able to take care of is own zone the fact that he wasn’t too noticeable is a good thing for him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He did , the kid was solid and looked very confident on the defensive side of the puck . Early days I know but I saw encouraging signs in his game last night .
Probably better Reinbacher and Mailloux getting ice time in Laval then. Barron, Guhle, Savard on right D. At least until a injury.

Matheson, Hutson, Wifi on left D. Struble the 7th guy.

Reactions: BLONG7

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
Watching him in the dzone there's definitely hesitation in his decision making but I'm not sure if it's a "confidence" thing, a "decision making under pressure" thing, a "hockey sense scanning options quickly and making the most efficient play" or a combination of all 3. He has a tendency to soft lob passes to the opposite open corner without looking to see where his d partner is.

Dmen do tend to take longer to put it all together and his offensive instincts/tool set is strong but he's still looking like too much of a defensive liability to make the NHL roster permanently. I hope he takes a step this year because his runway with the team is closing due to competition. I'm getting the feeling that our system (or lack of) might not be structured enough defensively for him to progress.....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mailloux need to be better then Barron to win a spot what he wasn’t yesterday
How much does playing on a back to back effect dmen?

Not that I'm going to make any kind of judgement based on the first two preseason games. I'll be more interested to see how they look in the last few preseason games and when there are less AHL players in the lineups.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Not that I'm going to make any kind of judgement based on the first two preseason games. I'll be more interested to see how they look in the last few preseason games and when there are less AHL players in the lineups.
I think Barron is, already what we hope to get from DR and LM.
48 games last year, and he produced some decent numbers for a Dman, and helps jumping in with the offense. His D is where he needs to focus, and so do the other 4 guys on the ice at that time.....

I think our future in DR and LM need a little more AHL time yet. Barron should stay at this point, and then as the year progresses, we have to figure out is is Savard going? Barron going??

Reactions: 26Mats

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think Barron is, already what we hope to get from DR and LM.
48 games last year, and he produced some decent numbers for a Dman, and helps jumping in with the offense. His D is where he needs to focus, and so do the other 4 guys on the ice at that time.....

I think our future in DR and LM need a little more AHL time yet. Barron should stay at this point, and then as the year progresses, we have to figure out is is Savard going? Barron going??
I disagree. For age and contract reasons, Barron will stay, but DR is already as good as Barron is defensively and has barely played in NA at this point. We can hope for DR to become a lot more than what Barron is.

Same for Mailloux. Him and Barron have very similar tools, and both have questionable toolboxes at this point, but he LM's potential is definitely a lot higher than what JB is today. No question. Just like JB's potential is much higher than what he is today. (Not that I'm confident he'll reach it).

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
None of Mailloux, Reinbacher or Struble delivered well enough to steal his spot in the camp up to now. All played somehow well, in that case the least painful option is to keep him and decide if he is #7 (Struble 3rd pair RD) or #6.

The preseason is still young, nothing is forcing HuGo hand and no obvious hole in other position requires to trade him out.

All going back to " you need to force management to take difficult decision".

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think its more that Barron looked better than Mailloux in the Flyers game.

Pre-season largely doesn't matter even after cuts. But guys who haven't been in the NHL need to force the issue with their performance. The only D that's done so thus far is Hutson, which is why he's skating with Savard and looks like a lock on the opening roster barring injury.

At the end of the day, its not hard to call guys up from Laval, so the only really impactful decision roster-wise is if Kapanen makes the team or goes back to the SHL. Because if he's going to the SHL then they're not going to add him to the roster in two weeks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I disagree. For age and contract reasons, Barron will stay, but DR is already as good as Barron is defensively and has barely played in NA at this point. We can hope for DR to become a lot more than what Barron is.

Same for Mailloux. Him and Barron have very similar tools, and both have questionable toolboxes at this point, but he LM's potential is definitely a lot higher than what JB is today. No question. Just like JB's potential is much higher than what he is today. (Not that I'm confident he'll reach it).
Both of those kids have more upside yes absolutely but neither are where Barron already is
Agree to disagree

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Both of those kids have more upside yes absolutely but neither are where Barron already is
Agree to disagree
Based on the very limited sample size, I believe Reinbacher was more solid than Barron, and Barron better than Mailloux, who was even with Engstrom. Oeville has been the best at breaking up plays and sending the team back up ice with possession.

Hutson has more peaks and more valleys than the other four.

Struble is ahead of all the rookies and ahead of Barron too, but behind Xhekaj.

I don't think a rookie should be the consistent 7th D. Personally, I would have Reinbacher in the top 6 and Barron 7th, with Hutson going to Laval to improve his defence, along with Mailloux and Engstrom.

Most fans might flip Reinbacher and Hutson, and I would keep my mind open for that over the next four games and balance of training camp.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad