Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Great article by Brooks, agree with this 100%.
This is a pretty sober take from Brooks, all things considered. But I think he ends up there with some odd logic. We shouldn't worry about the cap hit because the Rangers have historically relied disproportionately on goaltending to compete.

3 of 11 banners in the franchise's history are goalies. Guess how many cups that trio won.

On his other point: the two teams who won with inordinate goalie cap hits recently (Tampa and Florida) have another important commonality that Brooks often brings up: they're both Floridian, ie. "no-tax" teams. Forsling, a guy who was in Conn Smythe contention, just signed for less than 6mil a year in Florida for christ's sake.

Obviously the Rangers will sign Igor and to a cap hit over 10.5 a year, but it will very likely be a mistake. Everything about the history of the league and this franchise in particular tells us that.

Reactions: Riche16

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seems like there's some Othmann hate on here since last season. Not sure why? He seems to be developing nicely. What I like is he seems to be a player that has some bite to his game. He can score goals. Can he do it at the NHL level is yet to be seen but seems like he is a very solid prospect for the Rangers that is closer then most (from a Forward perspective) to getting his chance. He's thrown the body real well in 2 preseason games. Dropped the mitts.

Berard has the label of being a real pest. A tough to play against type of forward. I think showed that n the World Jr games. Got small icetime last night. Just about 10 mins. No hits, no shots on goal. Coughed up the puck 3 times last night. Didn't stand out much. Hoping for a better showing in the next game if they let him play.

Big props to Edstrom. Starting with the rookie series, and into last night. Goal and an assist, with 4 hits on the night. He's noticeable. Keeps getting mentioned. I like the team with him suited up.

Reactions: AirGut

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Does Lindgren have a concussion or is it the shoulder again?

idk but i was just watching the replay on msg and after the fight he picked up mayfields right glove, put it on his hand and went off the ice with it so maybe he was a bit woozy

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Seems like there's some Othmann hate on here since last season. Not sure why? He seems to be developing nicely. What I like is he seems to be a player that has some bite to his game. He can score goals. Can he do it at the NHL level is yet to be seen but seems like he is a very solid prospect for the Rangers that is closer then most (from a Forward perspective) to getting his chance. He's thrown the body real well in 2 preseason games. Dropped the mitts.

Berard has the label of being a real pest. A tough to play against type of forward. I think showed that n the World Jr games. Got small icetime last night. Just about 10 mins. No hits, no shots on goal. Coughed up the puck 3 times last night. Didn't stand out much. Hoping for a better showing in the next game if they let him play.

Big props to Edstrom. Starting with the rookie series, and into last night. Goal and an assist, with 4 hits on the night. He's noticeable. Keeps getting mentioned. I like the team with him suited up.
It’s not Othmann hate.
It’s that he’s a year younger than Laf, but doesn’t look ready for the nhl and there’s a concern he might not be.
Neither he or berard showed me enough last night to pencil them in a top 9 role.
Vesey is slotted for the empty Panarin spot today, and that’s horrifying.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
no but Rempe's value is sky high. he'd bring back the most.

and they do have the same role? 4th line wing.

Literally stop trying to make 'Mantis' happen it's not a thing
Rempe would probably bring back the most.

They kind of play the same position, one is a LW one is a RW, they do NOT have the same role. Or bring the same thing to the line.

I don't know what "Mantis" means, but I'm not trying to make ANYTHING happen. In any case don't tell me what to do! Hahaha. I merely give my opinions which are no more, nor LESS, valid than your own...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

MOVE JACOB TO LD BRING IN MY PAISANO VITTORIO
yes on mancini
no on jt to ld
he's having enuf issues as is, swtching to off handedness not gonna help
jt to 4RW
Eds - Rem - Trou

They don't have the same role though...
Of course none of KK, Rempe or Ed is untouchable, it all depends on what is coming back.
no one is fully untouchable, no one, there are no sacred cows
that said, barring an unexpected crazy offer, KK has most value growing here as we wait for bread and his 11+m to exit
and there is no reason to trade 'RempEd'
It makes way more sense to keep RempEd together and see if the correct W w/scoring ability can make that enuf of a line it can elevate the whole line up from 4th to 3rd to start

no but Rempe's value is sky high. he'd bring back the most.

and they do have the same role? 4th line wing.

Literally stop trying to make 'Mantis' happen it's not a thing
Why do you want to trade a guy who, result of him being in lineup, = winning most of those games?

There are guys better keeping and others better selling.
Remp
Ed
are keepers

STOP W/FOOOLISH WIN NOW

Even optimistic views of Rempe have him topping out as a 4th liner. Nobody is trading any # defenseman for him.
Rempe is not yet good enuf to be dominant factor in elevating higher in lineup, but he has way more upside than being given credit for, and we see already real chem w/Eds.
Keep together, find ideal W for them

Usually trades cost, gotta be careful

What peeps overlooking is Mancini MADE ROBERTON LOOK GOOD ENUF AS PARTNER
THAT can be yr 3rd pair def

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
yes on mancini
no on jt to ld
he's having enuf issues as is, swtching to off handedness not gonna help
jt to 4RW
Eds - Rem - Trou

no one is fully untouchable, no one, there are no sacred cows
that said, barring an unexpected crazy offer, KK has most value growing here as we wait for bread and his 11+m to exit
and there is no reason to trade 'RempEd'
It makes way more sense to keep RempEd together and see if the correct W w/scoring ability can make that enuf of a line it can elevate the whole line up from 4th to 3rd to start

Why do you want to trade a guy who, result of him being in lineup, = winning most of those games?

There are guys better keeping and others better selling.
Remp
Ed
are keepers

STOP W/FOOOLISH WIN NOW

Rempe is not yet good enuf to be dominant factor in elevating higher in lineup, but he has way more upside than being given credit for, and we see already real chem w/Eds.
Keep together, find ideal W for them

Usually trades cost, gotta be careful
I don't WANT to trade any of those guys. I'm merely open to it if the deal favors this team.

It’s not Othmann hate.
It’s that he’s a year younger than Laf, but doesn’t look ready for the nhl and there’s a concern he might not be.
Neither he or berard showed me enough last night to pencil them in a top 9 role.
Vesey is slotted for the empty Panarin spot today, and that’s horrifying.
Othmann is 21 and has had one season in the minors. The fact that he isn't NHL ready yet does not really concern me. Plenty of players aren't ready until they are 23-24 and still contribute just fine.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
- im absolutely dying with the random STOP WITH THE FOOLISH WIN NOW as I scroll with the best defenseman in the league and best goalie in the league after a Presidents Trophy season

- I don't think its possible to properly gauge Rempe's value. Could be anywhere from a mid-round pick to a legit unicorn in the league and actually untouchable.

He has a path to being a 20 goal scorer just by being as big and fast as he is.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
This is a pretty sober take from Brooks, all things considered. But I think he ends up there with some odd logic. We shouldn't worry about the cap hit because the Rangers have historically relied disproportionately on goaltending to compete.

3 of 11 banners in the franchise's history are goalies. Guess how many cups that trio won.

On his other point: the two teams who won with inordinate goalie cap hits recently (Tampa and Florida) have another important commonality that Brooks often brings up: they're both Floridian, ie. "no-tax" teams. Forsling, a guy who was in Conn Smythe contention, just signed for less than 6mil a year in Florida for christ's sake.

Obviously the Rangers will sign Igor and to a cap hit over 10.5 a year, but it will very likely be a mistake. Everything about the history of the league and this franchise in particular tells us that.
vasi also won his first Cup before the $9.5 mil contract i believe. And won his second in yr one of that contract. It was also before TB had to start giving out their big contracts to key players some of which are now gone bc of cap problems.

If shesty gets $12 it will be a disaster. Guaranteed no cup those years.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Hopefully it's just trying things and whatnot on D. Otherwise, I'd have to believe that the team is actively trolling it's fans.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Chad playing LD is interesting. I can see him being in the opening night lineup

iu

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Othmann for a TDL rental would be a terrible idea.
If we deal Othmann, it'd be more like a McGroaty / Yager deal or an upgrade for an established roster player.

The Rangers can't afford a roster player with term after this season. Othmann isnt getting traded unless it's an offer the Rangers can't refuse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad