Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Nothing better than getting in depth Habs analysis from leaf blowhards
True, but it's positive and they seem to like it.

I don't look to see what fellow hab fans think of a big deal, or what rival fans say in a public space, but rather what they say in quiet as that's when they're usually more truthful instead of trolling.

Being a hab fan doesn't help as we have a bunch of terrible and annoying fans that get opposing fans riled about and the thread just devolves into a clownshow.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Very good by kent. We did not follow the greedy trio of Maple leaf.

The only player with the possibility of earning more then Suzuki is probably Demidov. With the Salary Cap going up and him having his first NHL season at 19-20.

I don't blame the leaf (once) young players. They threw 11 mil at Tavares and then they
True, but it's positive and they seem to like it.

I don't look to see what fellow hab fans think of a big deal, or what rival fans say in a public space, but rather what they say in quiet as that's when they're usually more truthful instead of trolling.

Being a hab fan doesn't help as we have a bunch of terrible and annoying fans that get opposing fans riled about and the thread just devolves into a clownshow.

True but I've always found that there isn't any shortage of realistic pessimism among Habs fans as Habs have a rich history to base everything off of whereas leaf fans have been living in La la land since 67

I watched the video, they tended to agree with Habs fans sentiment. They liked it for the Habs.

At this point only butthurt sens fans are delusional enough not to acknowledge the Habs positive future so that's a very low bar. But I'm glad they're not too biased to be objective

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
But the crazy thing is, right now he's managing to keep his core guys (Suzuki, Caufield and now Slafkovsky) under 8M/yr.

Guhle is probably up next.

That's huge.

When these guys are in the middle of their deals, they should be a competitive team and have no one the roster making a ton of money and the cap keeps rising.

He's really set himself to have both cost certainty AND cap flexibility in 2-3 years.

Hughes is cooking.

I'm honestly surprised Slaf's agent counseled him to take this deal. I would have told him to keep making the haters hate and get a bigger bag.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm honestly surprised Slaf's agent counseled him to take this deal. I would have told him to keep making the haters hate and get a bigger bag.
Oh 100%…and I kind of expected it, especially with the cap rising.

That's why I think its a good sign, says a lot about him. (not that him doing otherwise implies anything negative either mind you. I'm all for players getting paid.)

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I totally agree but go back and look at all those goals. They were all the same. It was just one timers mostly on the man advantage. Galchenyuk also preferred playing in the snow more than perfecting his practice. I'm much more confident in players who are true gamers. Slafs been living alone since 14 and is a true pro. Sometimes you got to gamble. And on this gamble, the odds are good imo
Agree. I don't mind this risk. I actually like it.
I am simply saying as with every risk, it can backfire. No mater how much of a gamer Slaf is, his progression can always stall.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Seems to me, GMs have the option of either paying a player for what he's done (Gallagher), or paying a player for what he is projected to do (Slaf). Either way, it seems, people will bitch
The ones who b*tch also freak out (after) the bridge deal when the same player then wants $12M/yr after 4 years. A bridge deal basically throws all semblance of a pro system out the window. Hugo knows this (as a former agent) that you need your star players under reasonable contracts in order to compete otherwise you end up like the Leafs.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'd be interested to know which players have Agents that Hughes works with, ones who understand the payment system is what's best for the player to flourish and the team to build correctly.
If a player/agent won't buy in they are dealt.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Curious to know how is Slaf's play lately.. I remember when he first started he got benched and seemed to have trouble.. didn't watch last season so did he improved so much to get this 7.6M deal? That's 400K away from Stamkos!
:eek3: Where were you after the All-Stars?

You missed all the fun of the CC/Suzuki/Slaf being a top 10 1st line in the league (CC was the 3rd wheel) and taking the PP from bottom of the league to top 10 once Slaf was put on it (despite Matheson never passing to him).

Slaf had 34 pts in 39 games at the end of the season (a 71 pts pace), finished with 20 goals and 30 assits after a slow start.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My God what an incredible deal all around.

We have really set the bar with that Suzuki contract. With any luck Demidov plays his way in his first two years to a similar contract. Dach will probably earn that coming out of his current deal. we can have 5 forwards all making around 37 million total.

Hugo is doing shit the right way.

Gonna be a massive steal in as little as 2 years.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My God what an incredible deal all around.

We have really set the bar with that Suzuki contract. With any luck Femidov plays his way in his first two years to a similar contract. Dach will probably earn that coming out of his current deal. we can have 5 forwards all making around 37 million total.

Hugo is doing shit the right way.

Gonna be a massive steal in as little as 2 years.
Ott did the same thing with their guys. Signing your kids out of elc when they are what 22 for most, takes them to like 30. So have to make the most of this second contract.

Still need to develop the young blue line and get a goalie.

Ottawa for example is 4 years into Chabot, 3 years into Tkachuk, 2 years into Norris, a year into Stutzle, and just starting Sanderson this season on their 8 year second contracts.

Caulfield a year in and Suzuki 2 years in. Have time.

Reactions: waitin425

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Curious to know how is Slaf's play lately.. I remember when he first started he got benched and seemed to have trouble.. didn't watch last season so did he improved so much to get this 7.6M deal? That's 400K away from Stamkos!
Stamkos? You mean the guy who is currently 34 years old and regressing? Nashville is paying for the player he was. We are paying Slaf for the player he’s just starting to become.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
This is damn smart cap management. The internal cap has been set and good to see the players are buying in. Won't be like this forever though but it's great to start off with your 3 best forwards making under 8 mill and signed long term.

Love this deal.

Reactions: waitin425

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I would agree with you but progression is not linear.

Imagine giving Galchenyuk that contract after his 30 goals season at age 21.

Not saying this will happen but saying there is not risk is wrong.
There is very little risk. All indications point to Slaf being a student of the game with an insane desire to compete and be the best. There is very little risk here, I mean sure he could become addicted to blow and become an alcoholic, but it would be out of character for him. So you right, the risk isn’t zero, but it’s damn close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad