GDT: July 1 - Free Agent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yeah, it's gotta be 1 or 2 years max. If we intend to deal one of Bozak or JVR upon his signing, then you can bloat the dollar value a little to try and off-set the lack of term. But no way should we consider 3 years at this point for anyone we don't consider a core player moving forward.

You can front load the 3 year contract so it's not a cap issue in year 3.

The leafs are expected to be cup contenders sooner rather than later so it's a worthwhile gamble. Marleau can still score 30 goals.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
We filled a lot of our holes today. We are still in the hunt for Marleau, have just left ourselves the top 4 D-man on the must do list. Although trading JVR and Bozak are on my wishlist. I think if we get Marleau, JVR will be traded.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
According to John Shannon of Rogers Sportsnet, Patrick Marleau wants a 3-year contract.

Should the Toronto Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau to a 3-year contract?

In my opinion, if Patrick Marleau is asking for a 3-year contract, the Toronto Maple Leafs would be wise to move on from him and try to sign another player who is asking for more reasonable terms and dollars.
no too much term.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We filled a lot of our holes today. We are still in the hunt for Marleau, have just left ourselves the top 4 D-man on the must do list. Although trading JVR and Bozak are on my wishlist. I think if we get Marleau, JVR will be traded.
I'm all for trading JVR, but I think the kids should be given a chance at replacing him, at worst you can trade for help after you know for sure the kids can't effectively filled the void.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
no too much term.

Honestly, if AAV was around 5-5.5, I would do it for 3 years. Given the style Marleau plays, I think he will still be worth it in his 3rd year. If we need to dump him after 2 years, I don't think the price would be more than a 2nd to get rid of him.

In FA you rarely get what you want, but to me, it seems Marleau is a great fit both money and position wise. I would be willing to bite the bullet on the extra year.

If he clicks with Matthews, I'm quite sure we can actually get +ve value out of Marleau if we wanted to trade him after 2 years.

Who knows, if he returns to PPG form, and we are contending, we might even ship out someone else. 3 years on Marleau, at ~5-5.5 is a risk I would be willing to take.

Having said that, I would understand if Lou passes. The intriguing case is next off season, if JT becomes available ;)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Looks good. We have a team.

still think we need to trade 1 or 2 forwards. We have 4 wingers for 1 spot currently,
-Kapanen deserves a spot and should be given a chance higher up the lineup
-Leivo hope he gets a chance and needs waivers
-Rychel needs waivers
-Sosh needs waivers

even if its a trade of 1 or 2 of those 4 someone needs to be moved. i hope its JVR

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
If JT becomes available next off season, and he's willing to come here for 10M-11M x 7, would you guys do it? Probably means we have to ship out one of Marner or Nylander for a D, but also means we get a top 10 center in his prime to make multiple runs over the next 7 years.

I think I would do it, and seeing how Lou is handing out only 1 and 2 year deals, I think that is definitely in the back of his head. I really don't think JT is re-signing in NYI.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If JT becomes available next off season, and he's willing to come here for 10M-11M x 7, would you guys do it? Probably means we have to ship out one of Marner or Nylander for a D, but also means we get a top 10 center in his prime to make multiple runs over the next 7 years.

I think I would do it, and seeing how Lou is handing out only 1 and 2 year deals, I think that is definitely in the back of his head. I really don't think JT is re-signing in NYI.

no. if Nylander can transition to C we have a similar C 5 years younger to make multiple cup runs. Taveres is also a very one dimensional player

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
still think we need to trade 1 or 2 forwards. We have 4 wingers for 1 spot currently,
-Kapanen deserves a spot and should be given a chance higher up the lineup
-Leivo hope he gets a chance and needs waivers
-Rychel needs waivers
-Sosh needs waivers

even if its a trade of 1 or 2 of those 4 someone needs to be moved. i hope its JVR

Sosh is waiver exempt next year until he plays 3 games

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/nikita-soshnikov

Mich fricken marner

Jul 1, 2017
Leafs

not I huge fan of getting marleau given his age but if it's for 2 years it would be okay I guess but they will have cap issues soon so they have to be smart about it.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

No as tempting as it is, this core doesn't need another alpha centre. Any big additions have to be on the back end,

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ok i doubt they send him down though and he probably leads the pack for that 4RW spot as is, but maybe kapanen impressed enough to take it. Someone needs to go still far too many forwards

If they got Marleau they could trade JVR and Bozak
That would solve a lot of problems with to may forwards and cap space

Hyman Mathews Marner
Marleau Nylander Kapanen
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Moore Soshnikov

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If they got Marleau they could trade JVR and Bozak
That would solve a lot of problems with to may forwards and cap space

Hyman Mathews Marner
Marleau Nylander Kapanen
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Moore Soshnikov

cant see them signing marleau. JVR should be moved in any case, we cant afford to resign him, I like your lineup though probably the best possible lineup i can think of.

Kapanen needs to get a shot in a scoring position,

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
cant see them signing marleau. JVR should be moved in any case, we cant afford to resign him, I like your lineup though probably the best possible lineup i can think of.

Kapanen needs to get a shot in a scoring position,

You can offer him 8M a year over 2 years and the cap hit is similar
That may help Marleau make his mind up

We still win because we get the assets from the trades for those two and I believe that team with Marleau is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad