NESN Judd Sirott named new voice of the Bruins

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sirott is the safe choice. I like his tone and intensity. He has a knack for making dull games/plays seem a little more important than they are. Hopefully he leaves the goal call behind him, but otherwise I enjoy his call

Reactions: Gordoff

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The phrases thing was an Emrick device that a lot of announcers have adopted. Doc thought it was boring to say "pass" or "shoot" or things like that.

I grew up in the Cusick/Wilson school. Those guys were amazing
That phrasing is much in the Emrick school - the number of different words he had for "pass" was mind-boggling. But very few broadcasters have the command of the language Doc has - he has a Ph.D in communications, after all.

But in a game like hockey, where the same things happen hundreds of times in a game, you don't want the broadcast to become monotonous, so you try to find some different ways to describe the routine things that happen in a game. We all develop our own styles as a result.

I've enjoyed listening to Judd over the years, both on Cubs radio and with the Bruins. Looking forward to tuning in and listening on the TV side (and I'll just say I'm a very interested observer on what happens on the radio side).

Last edited:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Very much in the Emrick school - the number of different words he had for "pass" was mind-boggling. But very few broadcasters have the command of the language Doc has - he has a Ph.D in communications, after all.

But in a game like hockey, where the same things happen hundreds of times in a game, you don't want the broadcast to become monotonous, so you try to find some different ways to describe the routine things that happen in a game. We all develop our own styles as a result.

I've enjoyed listening to Judd over the years, both on Cubs radio and with the Bruins. Looking forward to tuning in and listening on the TV side (and I'll just say I'm a very interested observer on what happens on the radio side).
Yeah, but Emerick started saying "The shot.....would not go!" which is an extremely lazy call. Tell us why it would not go.......did it miss the net, did he fan, was it saved by the goalie, blocked , deflected.......talk to us dammit!

.......end of rant.......

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yeah, but Emerick started saying "The shot.....would not go!" which is an extremely lazy call. Tell us why it would not go.......did it miss the net, did he fan, was it saved by the goalie, blocked , deflected.......talk to us dammit!

I actually used to like Emrick and was a little sad when he retired.

"Threw one in front OH IT WOULDNT GO THOMAS WITH THE INCREDIBLE SAVE"

That Tampa series in 2011 was awesome with Emrick I thought.

(Anyway sorry for going half off topic I'll shut up lol)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I actually used to like Emrick and was a little sad when he retired.

"Threw one in front OH IT WOULDNT GO THOMAS WITH THE INCREDIBLE SAVE"

That Tampa series in 2011 was awesome with Emrick I thought.

(Anyway sorry for going half off topic I'll shut up lol)
no one had any idea in New England way back when that Doc would always reference Portland no matter who was listening, nor that you were hearing a broadcaster that would ever identify this sport and in essence put this state on to the national scene, never mind locally/regionally....

this market has had a lot to live up to since then... we were spoiled back in the late 1970s..... I also doubt you would've had the genesis of what is now NBC Sports Boston when that network was created

Reactions: GabeTravels

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
no one had any idea in New England way back when that Doc would always reference Portland no matter who was listening, nor that you were hearing a broadcaster that would ever identify this sport and in essence put this state on to the national scene, never mind locally/regionally....

this market has had a lot to live up to since then... we were spoiled back in the late 1970s..... I also doubt you would've had the genesis of what is now NBC Sports Boston when that network was created
:huh:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

It's television, so you can let the pictures do the talking a little bit.

"It would not go" can be one of two things. First, there's a LOT happening and you need an economy of words to stay on top of the play and not get behind (and again, it's TV, so you're providing the captions to the pictures as opposed to painting the picture). The second is, the puck sometimes gets lost in a maze of bodies in front and you miss whether it was saved or hit the post or possibly hit a body in front, so that's a way of describing the play when you're not 100% sure what happens. As a PXP broadcaster, I've occasionally relied on a generic call along the lines of "it did not go," such as "it stays out" if I can't get a clear angle on what actually happened because I was screened by a player or the puck was pinballing around in a maze of bodies in front. In either case, it's a means of being professional and *not* giving your viewers/listeners incorrect info.

I'll say this about Doc, who I've met and corresponded with a few times. There is nothing about him that's lazy. He's extremely meticulous and chooses his words carefully, and his preparation for a broadcast is legendary.

But back to the original point, Judd has his own style. We all have our own influences, and a *lot* of broadcasters are influenced - either directly or indirectly - by Doc. We often borrow something from those influences - either consciously or not - but I've always enjoyed Judd's way of calling a game. It's easy to listen to and he works very well with Bob Beers. Andy Brickley is excellent, and with TV being more of an analyst's medium, they'll develop really good chemistry.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Compared to Jackie Boy, he's awfully vanilla, but maybe that's what they want now.

Jim McCabe, I don't think that HFBoards is the proper route to apply. And if you only got the receptionist when you called, then it was probably time to move on.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad