Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I think Willander signing and immediately coming to Vancouver should make the RHD thing a little less pressing. Maybe he ends up in Abby but I doubt he stays at BU another year.

Guessing he has a monster year with way more overtime.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Willander signing and immediately coming to Vancouver should make the RHD thing a little less pressing. Maybe he ends up in Abby but I doubt he stays at BU another year.

Wilander already has NHL wheels.....the only issue is whether or not he can handle the physicality of the NHL. But my bet is he signs this spring when Boston University is eliminated from the NCAA playoffs.

And I agree.....he might spend some time in Abbotsford. But given the 'black hole' on the right side of the Canucks blueline, it won't be long.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
So they've offered Lankinen a sub-$1M AAV contract and Raanta a PTO. There will be a goalie add coming up here, will be interesting to see who they get.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Dhaliwal said yesterday they don't want to spend much, and want to stay out of Poolman's LTIR.

i don't get why they won't use ltir. they don't have enough headroom to generate more caproom than they'd gain by using LTIR. it doesn't make sense unless they are planning on moving poolman in which case it doesn't matter if they use his space now

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So they've offered Lankinen a sub-$1M AAV contract and Raanta a PTO. There will be a goalie add coming up here, will be interesting to see who they get.
Back-up Bob incoming for $39.99 AAV and a case of Coors Light.

1725993365623.png

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
i don't get why they won't use ltir. they don't have enough headroom to generate more caproom than they'd gain by using LTIR. it doesn't make sense unless they are planning on moving poolman in which case it doesn't matter if they use his space now

I think if they stay under the cap, they accumulate cap space daily which can be an advantage come the deadline. But if they exceed the cap and use that LTIR exemption, they do not.

Not a cap expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think if they stay under the cap, they accumulate cap space daily which can be an advantage come the deadline. But if they exceed the cap and use that LTIR exemption, they do not.

They need to start the season with at least 1m to accrue enough to be relevant at the deadline. With a full roster right now, they wouldn't accrue enough to add anyone. The other advantage is that while you accrue capspace contracts also get cheaper while on LTIR they stay static throughout the year.

They could also go with a 22/23 roster which would push them slightly over 1m and allow them to accrue enough to be relevant. I'll be shocked if they don't find a way to move Poolman before the season starts. They've eventually paid a price every training camp to move a player and I don't see this season as any different.

• Love
Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

This. We couldn't make deals last TDL because we didn't have cap, if we have cap, the prices for trading for players will be lower because we don't need to ask for as much retention and with that we can have more assets to use for trade or we can actually use the picks at the draft.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can the public access a calculator for how much cap space can be accrued?

Like how much are we really adding by not going into LTIR w/ Poolman?

How much more can we accrue by the TDL if we do dump Poolman's contract?

Etc.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They need to start the season with at least 1m to accrue enough to be relevant at the deadline. With a full roster right now, they wouldn't accrue enough to add anyone. The other advantage is that while you accrue capspace contracts also get cheaper while on LTIR they stay static throughout the year.

They could also go with a 22/23 roster which would push them slightly over 1m and allow them to accrue enough to be relevant. I'll be shocked if they don't find a way to move Poolman before the season starts. They've eventually paid a price every training camp to move a player and I don't see this season as any different.
they are going to trade Poolman's contract at some point when the prices come down mid season but even then, the more we can accrue before the better. You can't really have too much cap around TDL.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

with 190k in cap space they'll barely accrue enough to add a minimum salary player. it just doesn't seem worth it

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
with 190k in cap space they'll barely accrue enough to add a minimum salary player. it just doesn't seem worth it

If everything goes perfect with the capspace they have now they'll have 0.861m at the deadline. So...yeah not going to work unless they can move Poolman or manage a 22/23 roster.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Can the public access a calculator for how much cap space can be accrued?

Like how much are we really adding by not going into LTIR w/ Poolman?

How much more can we accrue by the TDL if we do dump Poolman's contract?

Etc.

this is all rough because i'm not sure if league shutdowns (like for christmas and the four nations) count as days for salary cap purposes but the relevant dates are:

oct 8 (or oct 4, if the roster deadline is before the europe games)
march 6 (trade deadline)
april 17 (final day of regular season)

that translates to 149 days from the season opener to the trade deadline (or 153 if the roster deadline is when the euro games are played or 141 if the four nations break doesn't count or 145 if both are true but i'm just gonna use 149) and 43 days from the trade deadline to the end of season

the cap is 88 million but you divide that per day so 88000000 / (149 + 43) for $458,333.33 per day

for every dollar each day you don't spend you get to bank it to exceed the cap later in the season. each dollar you are under the cap "banks" 0.776 dollars at the deadline ($1 multiplied by 149 days pre deadline divided by 192 total days)

the canucks are at $87809167 in cap spending which equates to $457339.41 per day. that means they'll bank just under $994 per day until the deadline

assuming no roster changes that means $148106 to spend on deadline acquisitions which doesn't sound like much but you get a 77.6% discount on added players contracts (because you only need to pay them for 22.4% of the season) so that means they can add $661187.50 in player salaries at the deadline (plus the cap space they already have, so about 850k)

i'm not sure if you can retain past the league min on a contract (but i doubt it) but that means the canucks probably can't do much with their banked cap space because you can't combine it with LTIR space

tl;dr: for every dollar you don't spend pre-deadline you can spend about $3.50 at the deadline on a player

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If everything goes perfect with the capspace they have now they'll have 0.861m at the deadline. So...yeah not going to work unless they can move Poolman or manage a 22/23 roster.
Well, whatever player they bring in, somebody is going to end up off the roster, so that's min wage there, add the 800ish K accrued and 2.5M worth of cap from Poolman, that adds up to a 4M player. If they can get rid of Poolman earlier, like 1/4 way in, then that will go up to like 5M. Getting a 5M player without retention will save like a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. Stuff like that adds up.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

I highly doubt Willander plays any NHL games this year. We are probably going to be in the middle of playoffs race path at the time, I would be shocked if the Canucks would put him at that point. He probably signs and plays in the AHL, and tries to make the team out of camp next season.

Reactions: arttk and Vector

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I highly doubt Willander plays any NHL games this year. We are probably going to be in the middle of playoffs race path at the time, I would be shocked if the Canucks would put him at that point. He probably signs and plays in the AHL, and tries to make the team out of camp next season.

Depends a lot on a number of things…
His performance this season.
Where we are in the playoff race.
New acquisitions, if any.
And the health of our defence.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Thanks for the intel on this.

I wonder if moving Poolman at the deadline as part of something becomes more feasible as his deal is almost done at that point?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Thanks for the intel on this.

I wonder if moving Poolman at the deadline as part of something becomes more feasible as his deal is almost done at that point?
Poolman's contract should be 80% covered like all standard contracts. So at the halfway point, so only 10% of 3M (I think that is the real cash cost) is left to be paid out and i think teams are usually fine with retaining a couple hundred K of real cash in a cap dump deal. Probably cost like 3rd rounder + minor prospect?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I assume the reasons are two-fold ... maybe they think an opportunity to move him will open up (or the cost will go down) later, and second, they can always put him on LTIR later and use that cap pool for an in-season acquisition. Meanwhile, they will accrue what they can.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
When we look at building the blueline into the future, Hronek and Willander should constitue our top 4 RDs within a few years.

On the left side we do not have the same caliber of prospect as Willander.

As much as Larson or Anderson would be a great get, it would create an immediate cap on Willanders usage, and limit the opportunity to have a top 4 D on an ELC.

Our left side does not have that issue as I think its clear that while Soucy is an excellent 3rd pair guy, he is not a top 4.

It makes a lot more sense to add a top 4 LHD that can slot below Hughes but above Soucy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad