Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Can't help but laugh at the Roy fan club saying he's a lock, on the 2nd line. That really demonstrates the lack of hockey acumen. Even funnier now that Roy was cut for being unimpressive at camp is the defending him that he should have had good players to so how impressive he is. Here's a hockey lesson, if you want to make a team, be impressive on your own than relying on others, those good players will make others impressive too.
Same folks saying we didn’t need a depth guy like Laine because we have Roy. That take looks good. Calder, Hahaha!!

Laine goes down, 2nd line turns to shitz

See how he takes this.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Many sure did say he was a lock and you know it. Many expected or wanted him to be on the 2nd line. Even read that some were suggesting that he could win the Calder. ROFL
1728403291054.png

He has a more realistic shot at the other Calder.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy needs to be at the right spot at the right time and quickly exploit offensive seams.

If he can’t produce he loses vs Heineman who’s a better skater and more physical. Heineman can also play a 4th line energy role.
It has nothing to do with his offense IMO.
The word out of camp from day one was we would be concentrating on keeping pucks out of our net.
The entire body of work and focus was obviously on that the entire way if you ignore Lane.
Roy may have already been on the bubble before that game but that bubble burst for very good reasons.
If he wasn't aware of the importance of showing up and playing well in that game it's easy to see it as a character flaw.
Something he can work on in Laval.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Same folks saying we didn’t need a depth guy like Laine because we have Roy. That take looks good. Calder, Hahaha!!

Laine goes down, 2nd line turns to shitz

See how he takes this.

Not sure about that one. Armia is an underrated finisher, Newhook is more of a Middle-6 guy but he has a good shot and some talent. Dach I feel like can carry the line alone some nights, I think this is the year people start to see it. It’s not a good 2nd line by any means, but it may also not be as bad as you’re saying. There was times last year the Monahan line looked really good.

MSL may also opt to break the top line to balance the top 6 while we wait for Laine to come back.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It’s not people on this board, the rumor was from Max Truman of Dans Les Coulisses (DLC) who like it or not do get legit dirt on Habs players … not talking hockey30 or other trash sites here, DLC is surprisingly accurate.

The root cause in the end , as you mentioned in bold is what the coach also said - the coach who BTW had to scratch & claw his way to the NHL for an opportunity before a HOF career, Roy should’ve been more aware of the coach who was going to evaluate him…

The rumours came from Max Lalonde, morning man for BPM Sport who work in the past for the Phoenix of Sherbrooke and spoke with Stephane Julien.

And the off ice issues of Roy is something well known, dosen't mean he’s not working hard on the gym

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The rumours came from Max Lalonde, morning man for BPM Sport who work in the past for the Phoenix of Sherbrooke and spoke with Stephane Julien.

And the off ice issues of Roy is something well known, dosen't mean he’s not working hard on the gym
The interesting thing there is it seems ABB was the player Roy had to beat out and not Heineman.

Reactions: Vachon23

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
6'0" 187 is small?
He came in lighter than he was last year and that was a mistake. He looks weak on the puck and along the boards.
He needed to take a page out of Suzuki's playbook and cultivate some mass.

Getting a little leaner/quicker doesn't actually change anything for him. Like Suzuki, he will never have separation speed, which means priority #1 is being able to play through and spin off of contact, as contact is inevitable.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Basically, if he scores two goals nobody talks about him. His play was sound, except for the last game. Perspective is a hell of a thing.

If he had 82 games of hockey in the NHL nobody would bat an eye either.
Maybe, but I’m just sharing my own opinion here that I don’t see it yet. Habs have a team full of « sound » players and are total crap as a team, so I guess I’m looking for more.

Don’t worry, he’s 21 so we’ll see him again in the nhl some day I’m sure. For now I’m much more impressed with Heinemann who has just as good a shot, but the physical attributes and willingness to press the play and go to tougher areas to go with it. Much more nhl ready.

Reactions: Rapala

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe, but I’m just sharing my own opinion here that I don’t see it yet. Habs have a team full of « sound » players and are total crap as a team, so I guess I’m looking for more.

Don’t worry, he’s 21 so we’ll see him again in the nhl some day I’m sure. For now I’m much more impressed with Heinemann who has just as good a shot, but the physical attributes and willingness to press the play and go to tougher areas to go with it. Much more nhl ready.
The Habs have like 3 sound players, the rest are AHLers or ECHLers in Gallaghers case.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure about that one. Armia is an underrated finisher, Newhook is more of a Middle-6 guy but he has a good shot and some talent. Dach I feel like can carry the line alone some nights, I think this is the year people start to see it. It’s not a good 2nd line by any means, but it may also not be as bad as you’re saying. There was times last year the Monahan line looked really good.

MSL may also opt to break the top line to balance the top 6 while we wait for Laine to come back.
It would be so much better with Roy though. I think he and Dach would work well together.

I agree with your second point, we may see CC with Dach to balance things out.

Bottom line, I don't think this changes much. We'll be somewhere around 85 points, offense as a team will go up and we'll improve overall. Hopefully Roy comes back quickly and gets some more NHL experience this year. It'd be a waste if he spent the whole year in Laval.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thought you were talking Roy.....
Ah... no. :laugh:

Somebody brought up CC and made a wiseass remark about people being foolish to think he might've scored 50 last year. That's what it was about.

Edit: Now that you mention it though, Roy did score 50 in the Q the year he won the scoring title. Paced for over 50 the following year too.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ah... no. :laugh:

Somebody brought up CC and made a wiseass remark about people being foolish to think he might've scored 50 last year. That's what it was about.

Edit: Now that you mention it though, Roy did score 50 in the Q the year he won the scoring title. Paced for over 50 the following year too.
Scoring 50 in the Q doesn't always age well in the NHL though....................lol
Let's hope the kid gets back sooner than later.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

branlumi

Sep 26, 2024
Like i said a few times now... Roy simply didnt do enough, didnt earn it and really showed a lack of urgency.

Habs need "everyday"er's" and its a prvillige to play on the team as long as its earned day in and day out. A loud message was sent to Roy and future prospects who have aspirations to play for our team

Dont come to the rink / gym thinking you will have it made because you are going to be sent on a bus to Laval - pointe finale

They way he played this pre-season was a joke and anyone who thinks otherwise hasnt watched hockey long enough. Getting a couple of points on the scoresheet doesnt mean you get to put on the most prestigious jersey in all of sports on top of it being a french canadien. Just watch how he would skate to the bench after a shift...pay attention...just glide with no sense of urgency or care, slow on the forecheck, perimeter player who never crashed the net or went to the dirty areas. Simply not good enough and im quite disapointed. I was really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but he simply didnt step up and got out played by hungrier, eager to win players.

Roy has a option now to go to Laval, refocus, wake the F%^$k up and either learn from this or play AHL / for maybe another NHL Team....let me tell you though, nobody in the league will take a Roy whodoesnt have that willing attitude to do what it takes to win...the league is getting so much better and faster and he will be left in the dust if he doesnt learn from this

Hats off to the Habs and MSL in the way this was communicated. Once again always professional and excellent in their approach. Love the decision they made to send him down and of course happy they reaffirm my knowledge of the game :naughty:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It would be so much better with Roy though. I think he and Dach would work well together.

I agree with your second point, we may see CC with Dach to balance things out.

Bottom line, I don't think this changes much. We'll be somewhere around 85 points, offense as a team will go up and we'll improve overall. Hopefully Roy comes back quickly and gets some more NHL experience this year. It'd be a waste if he spent the whole year in Laval.

I had Roy on the 2nd line all summer before Laine, and would’ve even preferred him over Newhook after Laine. I’m a part of the Roy fan club, lol.

I’m disappointed in my boy for sure.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Scoring 50 in the Q doesn't always age well in the NHL though....................lol
Let's hope the kid gets back sooner than later.
I'm not expecting him to be a 50 goal guy in the NHL. But I do think he can be a really good top six player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad