Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
And I think we should not forget that Roy before figuring out in junior was known to coast , and in fact it contributed to him dropping to the 5th round .
Then he got his eating habits better and played harder .
I am confident he will figure it out again , but surely deserve the demotion.

And please before deciding he is finished , just remember max pac . It is more than fine to be sent down after making the team .
As long as thé player work on what need to be worked on and does not pout

This is the way I see it. Players sometimes need to face this kind of adversity to learn what's expected from a pro/NHLer. Better do it at this point in his career. One thing that I wish he would work on are his edges and cutbacks. He would be a much better creator if he added more dimensions to his offensive game.

Reactions: Nedved and tazsub3

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
How do you know what his attitude was? Do you know him or something? Seems like an odd thing to say. He’s a quiet guy and always has been. That makes him not care?
Ok guys , maybe it is a language barrier issue here, but when I talk about attitude I mean work ethic. Like others said, you are a rookie wanting a spot you show more than that.

Attitude didn't mean partying or other f***head things outside hockey.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's all great and all, but we waived a MB signing last year because he was dogging it but aren't doing the same with Dvorak/Anderson. Even if you think they don't deserve to be waived, they are not held accountable whatsoever. Kapanen is not a regular whereas those two clowns are not dealing with any consequences for their crap play.

I don't think it's the end of the world that Roy got sent down, he will likely be called up sooner than later, but the double standard that his work ethic was unacceptable when Anderson/Dvorak are arguably putting in even less effort needs to be pointed out.
Some vets cannot be sent down, it's in their contracts......that said, there is no way of knowing at this moment, that a vet like Armia last year isn't getting sent down......this year.
We all know, that the kids have to excel in camp where as the vets are given the benefit to prep and not get hurt etc be it right or wrong.
I hate the fact that contracts are guaranteed and vets can not produce and still get paid etc

Would be nice to see after every season is over a player can be bought out and not count vs the cap.....that would have rid us of our big problems, Andy and Gally......then the kids would have more room to make it. It certainly sounds like MSL and his bosses are not happy with Roy that's for sure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember when you were talking about our strong 2nd line and had Roy penciled in there. We didn’t need another top 6 winger like Laine because we had Joshua Roy.
Yep. Still feel that way.

I think he’s a top six caliber player and I think he can fill that role. I think he gets 40 points if put on the second line.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Some vets cannot be sent down, it's in their contracts......that said, there is no way of knowing at this moment, that a vet like Armia last year isn't getting sent down......this year.
We all know, that the kids have to excel in camp where as the vets are given the benefit to prep and not get hurt etc be it right or wrong.
I hate the fact that contracts are guaranteed and vets can not produce and still get paid etc

Would be nice to see after every season is over a player can be bought out and not count vs the cap.....that would have rid us of our big problems, Andy and Gally......then the kids would have more room to make it. It certainly sounds like MSL and his bosses are not happy with Roy that's for sure.
Gallagher can’t be sent down but Dvorak/Anderson can. I actually think MSL just wants to kick Roy in the ass to be the player he can be since the other guys are basically hopeless. I think he will be back sooner than later.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Why is this such a big deal is he a fan favorite? Give the kid some time he's still super young lol
It’s not a big deal. I was like 60/40 he’d make the team out of camp. I never thought he was guaranteed a spot. In camp, I don’t think he was even next on the list to make it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gallagher can’t be sent down but Dvorak/Anderson can. I actually think MSL just wants to kick Roy in the ass to be the player he can be since the other guys are basically hopeless. I think he will be back sooner than later.
It’s not a bad move. Bad camp at this stage gets you a bus ticket to Laval.

Reactions: Nedved

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It's true in one sense, but untrue in another. Desperation gives drive, but also creates a higher likelyhood of mistake. If you aren't desperate, you can take your time and make better decisions, leading a to better chance for success.
The word was hungry.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why is any of this shocking? Roy was 1OA in Q draft and was known to just live off his pure talent and not be 100% engaged …. now we get to see if he “gets it”, he doesn’t have NHL level top end speed to just live off his talent and needs to add to his arsenal mainly work ethic & hunger … it’s very doable and has been done by many a young player, but many have also fallen by the wayside.

Let’s see how Roy reacts to this demotion…

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Joshua Roy will be fine.

The AHL is not siberia. He is not condemned. He is giving an opportunity to grow his game some more. They believe in him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Roy’s still super young but I always felt Lehkonen had great wheels and was always around the puck, stood out way more from the start.
They are just very different players. None of what Lekhonen does will make Roy successful, and the opposite is true.

Tyler Toffoli never stood out either, yet he scored goals at a fantastic rate.

Ad

Ad

Ad