Player Discussion Joshua Roy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The root cause in the end , as you mentioned in bold is what the coach also said - the coach who BTW had to scratch & claw his way to the NHL for an opportunity before a HOF career, Roy should’ve been more aware of the coach who was going to evaluate him…
So why is this same coach not holding Anderson/Dvorak accountable for their dog shit play for multiple seasons? If you want consistency, those guys should be waived because there's no way you can tell me they showed more than Roy this camp since we are choosing to ignore how Roy drove our 2nd line before injury last season.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Like Slaf did? Did he earned that shot on the first line? He was going nowhere.

Did Dach earn that 1st line shot?
Did Caufield?

The only one that earned his "spot" was Suzuki.
all the guys you mentioned worked their tail off and earned their spot on the team. From there they took advantage of the opportunites they got.

Roy sucked this camp, and got beat out by three guys. No he doesn’t deserve a shot on second line, he should first earn a spot on the team, lol.

He sucked and is where he belongs. It is his fault he is in Laval, next time put some effort into it, his spot on the team was all teed up for him, ffs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So why is this same coach not holding Anderson/Dvorak accountable for their dog shit play for multiple seasons? If you want consistency, those guys should be waived because there's no way you can tell me they showed more than Roy this camp since we are choosing to ignore how Roy drove our 2nd line before injury last season.
In the case of the leftover bergevins, MSL and his GM have had their hands tied to a bunch of junk that no one wanted..................that's how that has gone down.

Reactions: viceroy and Habs13

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Proven track record and pedigree - Anderson has been consistently on pace for 22-24G in 6-of-8 NHL seasons, and Dvorak always plays a solid D / PK game and sound on faceoffs

As my parents used to say, if we want your opinion we’ll give it to you, and when you’ve earned your rights you can speak

Reactions: Habby4Life

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
In the case of the leftover bergevins, MSL and his GM have had their hands tied to a bunch of junk that no one wanted..................that's how that has gone down.
MSL has no hesitation in putting Anderson on the PP, that's 100% his decision. The guy is dogging it as a supposed power forward. Anderson could have also been waived but they chose not to do that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Proven track record and pedigree - Anderson has been consistently on pace for 22-24G in 6-of-8 NHL seasons, and Dvorak always plays a solid D game and sound on faceoffs

As my parents used to say, if we want your opinion we’ll give it to you, and when you’ve earned your rights you can speak
It's the contracts. They're not going anywhere right now.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
IC some folks not dealing with it well, lol.

Guy had it all teed up for him, he swung and missed. Enjoy the bus.

Reactions: viceroy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Did Caufield?

Be honest now, the kid can learn more from Laval with tons of TOI and PP time.
He will be back...........most like this player, but he did not earn a spot, and he may never compare to the players here you mention....he is a tweener, and hence he was taken in the 5th round.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Proper attitude & work ethic was always there - Slaf also had the size factor in his favor that he could literally lean on ..

Roy has never been known for a work ethic type player
Sure, I can agree on work ethic and attitude.

We have to assume Roy doesn't have those, and seeing his progression, things don't line up. He took every single weaknesses and turn them in strengths.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Did Caufield?

He should definitely be played with better players. Unfortunately for him, Laine came in and that made things harder for him. I totally agree we should play him with skilled players if we want him to improve. If it's not going to be here then maybe he can do better in Laval.

But you can't have a bad camp and expect to make the club. Yes, the whole team was poor and he was no exception but you've got to do better if you want to make the team. I think this is a teachable moment for him. They're sending him a message that he needs to do more and he's not guaranteed a spot. It's the same thing we see every year with young prospects.

I have little doubt that he'll be back. And when he comes back, I hope they give him a chance with some better players. As you said, we've seen it with previous players... put them with better guys and they'll produce. Kirby Dach would help him a lot.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
all the guys you mentioned worked their tail off and earned their spot on the team. From there they took advantage of the opportunites they got.

Roy sucked this camp, and got beat out by three guys. No he doesn’t deserve a shot on second line, he should first earn a spot on the team, lol.

He sucked and is where he belongs. It is his fault he is in Laval, next time put some effort into it, his spot on the team was all teed up for him, ffs.
Funny you could have said the same thing about Slaf before he got promoted. Instead they leaned in on him and he took off.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MSL has no hesitation in putting Anderson on the PP, that's 100% his decision. The guy is dogging it as a supposed power forward. Anderson could have also been waived but they chose not to do that.
It's possible that is being done to placate a GM who is trying to trade him? Value wise?
Roy is a 5th rounder who needs work it's that simple.............and his development is better served down in the AHL.
Anderson was a mistake..............Dvorak was a mistake............Bergevin, was a mistake..............the list goes on and on...................
Roy will be back with the club, but when is on him.

If Bergevin wasn't a donkey and contracts weren't guaranteed, then this is a different conversation.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He will be back...........most like this player, but he did not earn a spot, and he may never compare to the players here you mention....he is a tweener, and hence he was taken in the 5th round.
He can, it's not the end of the world.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Proven track record and pedigree - Anderson has been consistently on pace for 22-24G in 6-of-8 NHL seasons, and Dvorak always plays a solid D game and sound on faceoffs
So we go back to 8 seasons and count production for Anderson but completely ignore Roy's QMJHL/AHL/NHL (on the 2nd line) production. You're contradicting yourself. Either acknowledge production/offensive talent which Roy has them both beat or acknowledge that effort is the main factor which Anderson/Dvorak have not shown whatsoever in the past 2 seasons despite on pace goal totals and faceoff percentages.

Even if you're contradictory statement is true, explain why we waived Armia last year. He also had a proven track record and pedigree no? At some point, they need to be held accountable like how Armia was last year.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
IC some folks not dealing with it well, lol.

Guy had it all teed up for him and he swung and missed. Enjoy the bus.
I don't see how anyone thinks that Roy outplayed Kap, ABB or Hein. Even Beck looked better in the couple of games he played. I don't pay attention to the off ice stuff because it's all speculation. The sad truth is that he showed absolutely nothing in camp or the preseason.

Reactions: viceroy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Proper attitude & work ethic was always there - Slaf also had the size factor in his favor that he could literally lean on ..

Roy has never been known for a work ethic type player
This is flat out false.

That was the knock on him and he worked really hard to improve. And since then he's improved signficantly. He's a solid, cerebral two way player who has won scoring titles at the minor league level and got heaps of praise and used on the top line for Team Canada. He's done a lot to improve his game.

Bad camp? Okay. I have no issue sending him down. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care or that he hasn't worked hard.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's possible that is being done to placate a GM who is trying to trade him? Value wise?
Roy is a 5th rounder who needs work it's that simple.............and his development is better served down in the AHL.
Anderson was a mistake..............Dvorak was a mistake............Bergevin, was a mistake..............the list goes on and on...................
Roy will be back with the club, but when is on him.

If Bergevin wasn't a donkey and contracts weren't guaranteed, then this is a different conversation.
That's all great and all, but we waived a MB signing last year because he was dogging it but aren't doing the same with Dvorak/Anderson. Even if you think they don't deserve to be waived, they are not held accountable whatsoever. Kapanen is not a regular whereas those two clowns are not dealing with any consequences for their crap play.

I don't think it's the end of the world that Roy got sent down, he will likely be called up sooner than later, but the double standard that his work ethic was unacceptable when Anderson/Dvorak are arguably putting in even less effort needs to be pointed out.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
A hungry person always hunts better than a satisfied person.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He should definitely be played with better players. Unfortunately for him, Laine came in and that made things harder for him. I totally agree we should play him with skilled players if we want him to improve. If it's not going to be here then maybe he can do better in Laval.

But you can't have a bad camp and expect to make the club. Yes, the whole team was poor and he was no exception but you've got to do better if you want to make the team. I think this is a teachable moment for him. They're sending him a message that he needs to do more and he's not guaranteed a spot. It's the same thing we see every year with young prospects.

I have little doubt that he'll be back. And when he comes back, I hope they give him a chance with some better players. As you said, we've seen it with previous players... put them with better guys and they'll produce. Kirby Dach would help him a lot.
But Slaf did have a bad camp.

I find the double standards are... eh. Wtv.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny you could have said the same thing about Slaf before he got promoted. Instead they leaned in on him and he took off.
Yep.

And right before they did there was talk of sending him down. I remember saying they should play him with better players. As soon as they put him with Caufield his play improved. His numbers were stuck but that was because CC couldn't score anymore. Those two had great chemistry though and then when they joined Suzuki he took off even more.

Ad

Ad

Ad