Player Discussion Joshua Roy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So we go back to 8 seasons and count production for Anderson but completely ignore Roy's QMJHL/AHL/NHL (on the 2nd line) production. You're contradicting yourself. Either acknowledge production/offensive talent which Roy has them both beat or acknowledge that effort is the main factor which Anderson/Dvorak have not shown whatsoever in the past 2 seasons despite on pace goal totals and faceoff percentages.

Even if your contradictory statement is true, explain why we waived Armia last year. He also had a proven track record and pedigree no? At some point, they need to be held accountable like how Armia was last year.
Moral of the story: Roy thought he could pull a fast one but forgot his “boss” has climbed up the pro hockey ladder from gutter to HOF.

you may not like them but Dvorak and Anderson are valued by the org for non offense related traits they can bring to a game, such is not the case with 21 yr old Roy. Despite being a vet, Anderson spent the entire summer in Mtl working w Adam Nicholas, that wasn’t lost on the org. As for Dvo I’m sure HuGo would like to leverage him for a strong return and have Newhook / Beck slot in as regulars.

I would also point out Anderson was called up in 2014-2015 end of season and played really well, and had a strong pre season camp prior to 2015-2016 season but was sent down to AHL and called up for good after spending some 30GP+

It’s standard hockey practice…

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Posters can compare with other players all they want, but they had something Roy hasn't shown at all while fighting for a spot: compete. He's in the AHl and deservedly so.

Holding every single player to the same standard.

Should we ask Caufield, Laine and Michael Ryder to compete like Pezzeta? How do we gauge this?

Roy is never going to "compete" when the comparisons are grinders.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Should we ask Caufield, Laine and Michael Ryder to compete like Pezzeta? How do we gauge this?

No, just compete to the standard of a rookie player trying to take a spot. Your examples don't really make sense. Caufield earned his spot through very high compete ending in a cup finals. Laine was a monster. Ryder easily, easily earned his spot his rookie year. He was cutting to the net, making plays. Nobody can find a good part of Roy's game this preseason.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

He wasn't competiting with grinders. He was competiting with Heineman and Kapanen, both who looked far better in the pre-season and earned their spots on the roster.

He wasn't competing with Pezzetta or Boulet, who will very likely get limited minutes.

If Roy had another year or two in the league, he could have had this showing and not had to worry. But he doesn't. Newhook didn't have a great pre-season, but he's established and clearly wasn't going anywhere. Roy isn't established.

So now he gets to work hard in the AHL and prove he deserves to be here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nothing he said was wrong. He didn't make the team because he didn't take the pre-season seriously like he did in previous years.
This man has made like 200 posts in the past three days to harp on Roy

No, just compete to the standard of a rookie player trying to take a spot. Your examples don't really make sense. Caufield earned his spot through very high compete ending in a cup finals. Laine was a monster. Ryder easily, easily earned his spot his rookie year. He was cutting to the net, making plays. Nobody can find a good part of Roy's game this preseason.
I agree about the rookie part but I still think not every player is held to the same standard, and it makes sense on that.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Natey

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Roy is a 5th round pick who played like he was a top 5 pick guaranteed a spot in the lineup. Considering Kapanen and Heinemen are both older (Kap only by an actual week), it's not like he doesn't have time to improve or things to learn in the AHL.

If you're playing like that at 21 in pre-season of course the coaching staff and management are going to come down on you.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

I agree about the rookie part but I still think not every player is held to the same standard, and it makes sense on that.
Fair, I didn't see his other posts. Seems like someone may have a vendetta lol

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Oh, definitely. I noticed my posts didn't really take that too much into account. There are situations where you expect veterans to show a little something at camp. Anderson is part of that group after the season he just had. For good or bad, I think they know he's been brutal but are trying to salvage whatever they can. Some posters said he had value two years ago and should have been traded. I still liked him, he had some characteristics that are valuable. I was dead wrong. At least he helped get good picks three years in a row. The frustration about the situation is warranted for sure.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Roy is a 5th round pick who played like he was a top 5 pick guaranteed a spot in the lineup. Considering Kapanen and Heinemen are both older (Kap only by an actual week), it's not like he doesn't have time to improve or things to learn in the AHL.

If you're playing like that at 21 in pre-season of course the coaching staff and management are going to come down on you.
And I think we should not forget that Roy before figuring out in junior was known to coast , and in fact it contributed to him dropping to the 5th round .
Then he got his eating habits better and played harder .
I am confident he will figure it out again , but surely deserve the demotion.

And please before deciding he is finished , just remember max pac . It is more than fine to be sent down after making the team .
As long as thé player work on what need to be worked on and does not pout

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny reply coming from Guy Lafleur.
I guess that was the mindset behind pre breakout Guy Lafleur years.
I wasn't there i don't know what i'm talking about when i speak of Lafleur.
Guy Lafleur has nothing to do with anything. Neither does Roy’s draft slot.

What matters is what happens after you’re drafted. Roy has consistently improved and overperformed. So no, nobody cares about him being drafted late.

And by the same token, Roy’s previous performance doesn’t matter either if he has a bad camp. That’s why he got cut.

Ad

Ad

Ad