Player Discussion Joshua Roy

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The top 6 is congestionated.

Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Demidov, Dach, Laine.

Assuming we don't re-sign any of Armia, Dvorak and Evans.

That would open the bottom six to players like Newhook, Kapanen, Heineman, Roy, Anderson, Tuch, Beck, Hage, etc.

Problem i have with Roy is that when you are a role players, you have to bring something to the table. Like Newhook speed, or Kapanen being a RHC, or Tuch physicality.

Players like Roy, smallish, low paced winger, not physical, if they are only 40-50 points producer holds at best marginal value in the league. He's not bad tho, he has good IQ, is a menace offensively, good hands, can patiently wait and profit from opening, very good positioning. I just see nothing really special here.

It can't be overstated how big of a year it is for him, to establish himself as a worthy NHLer. I would bet his future is with another team tho.
This is a big year for more than just Roy.

With Beck, Kapanen, Tuch, and Heineman already pressing for roster positions; Demidov, Hage, Florian, Davidson, Sawyer and Thorpe on the horizon and with Hughes having 3 first and 4 second draft choices in his pocket over the next two years, competition for those available forward spots (other than the current top line) will be fierce. We can expect a whole 'new look' team by 2027.

I just wouldn't be buying too many current fringe players' jerseys unless you are really into obscure nostalgia.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You have to laugh at the people who want to send him down in the A.

Roy will always look like a ghost because he isn’t a play driver. He lives in the open space and often one touch the puck to a teammate.

He also rarely turns the puck over and is sneakily pretty good at creating turnovers in the neutral zone.

Its easy to see what a Lane Hutson or a Kirby Dach is doing on the ice, less so with a Roy or a Toffoli.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You have to laugh at the people who want to send him down in the A.

Roy will always look like a ghost because he isn’t a play driver. He lives in the open space and often one touch the puck to a teammate.

He also rarely turns the puck over and is sneakily pretty good at creating turnovers in the neutral zone.

Its easy to see what a Lane Hutson or a Kirby Dach is doing on the ice, less so with a Roy or a Toffoli.
Laugh at people who think that he might not be ready? Yeah ok

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Roy is at 57% 5v5 on-ice expected goals last year easily best on the Habs (although small sample), sending him down over 2-3 so-so preseason game is a terrible take.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I try not to laugh at anyone except my friend who is a Leafs fan since the late 1950s . Anyone who can be so steadfastly a fan of continuing failure (1967) deserves our derision. Or pity. And yes, he’s also a lawyer and an infrequent poster here. I will await his shape retort.

Reactions: montreal

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
This is a big year for more than just Roy.

With Beck, Kapanen, Tuch, and Heineman already pressing for roster positions; Demidov, Hage, Florian, Davidson, Sawyer and Thorpe on the horizon and with Hughes having 3 first and 4 second draft choices in his pocket over the next two years, competition for those available forward spots (other than the current top line) will be fierce. We can expect a whole 'new look' team by 2027.

I just wouldn't be buying too many current fringe players' jerseys unless you are really into obscure nostalgia.
Could Kent try to move some of his pick for the 2026 or 2027 draft? We do have lot of young players around the same age.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
At this point anyone who isn't waiver eligible is susceptible to being sent down.
Roy is at 57% 5v5 on-ice expected goals last year easily best on the Habs (although small sample), sending him down over 2-3 so-so preseason game is a terrible take.
I think it's obvious he'll get his chance but so will others and his hold on his seat isn't guaranteed by any stretch.
I'm curious to see what he looks like when the team still has everything to play for.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd really like him to play with more volume and presence, but that's just not his game. We'll need to give him a chance on a legit offense oriented line if we really want to know what he can bring. He's kinda cursed to be in the top 6 or bust.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
At this point anyone who isn't waiver eligible is susceptible to being sent down.

I think it's obvious he'll get his chance but so will others and his hold on his seat isn't guaranteed by any stretch.
I'm curious to see what he looks like when the team still has everything to play for.

No he’s not guaranteed long term but he has to fumble it real hard in the first 20 games and sending him down before the start is certainly not an option IMO

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No he’s not guaranteed long term but he has to fumble it real hard in the first 20 games and sending him down before the start is certainly not an option IMO
This team still believes it can rank much higher this season. I expect a much shorter rope for everyone.
I'd be surprised if they wait even 10 games to make changes if things aren't going well.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Could Kent try to move some of his pick for the 2026 or 2027 draft? We do have lot of young players around the same age.
With an expected increased salary cap and a number of expiring contracts, I would expect that Hughes will be aggressive both on the trade and free agency markets. This intuitive General Manager has a wealth of assets at his disposal. He will be active. The marketplace knows it. And most importantly, those fringe roster players know it. If that isn’t a motivator, those players won’t be in the team’s longterm plans. Nor should they be.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He needs to keep those picks to make the team better right now, not to have an influx of talent in 5 years.

They aren't and never were targeting this year.

But if Rasmus Andersson is moving and he's open to extending next year; those types of players could be acquired a bit earlier than their timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad