Player Discussion Joshua Roy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not sure what Evans has to do with Joshua Roy but he can go get his big payday elsewhere.
He's not a four as his history clearly shows and eventually he won't be good enough for a three.
Our PK has sucked on his watch and his one redeeming quality is he's a righty so we don't have to use Suzuki all the friggin' time.
Prove me wrong Jake.

We can do better for less C'mon down Owen Beck and Oliver Kapanen.
What is with the low bar people?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I like Evans and would be happy to keep him until he gets bumped one day. Problem I see is Evans has just gotten married, is UFA for the 1st time and he should be looking at scoring the biggest contract he can, because given his age he will be leaving his prime in a few years, And we know that bloated bottom 6 contracts is death by a thousand cuts. Hopefully we can work out a decent deal for both.
or move on. Death by a thousand cuts is watching vanilla players on these absolutely horrible special teams.

Reactions: Rapala and MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Byron wasn't a center so he doesn't really fit in this discussion.

Again, look around the league, Jake Evans is someone who a lot of contending teams would love to have on their 4th line. He might be 'soft' but who cares? His face-off percentage is good, especially when he's taking the face-offs generally in big situations against the other teams better face-off guys. He brings speed. He brings an offensive touch that is still a net positive on the 4th line and he's a great penalty killer.

Those are all valuable things to have in a 4th line center. If you can find one who does all of those things and brings an element of toughness, sure, go for it.. but there's very few of those guys in the league on the 4th line and usually when you up the toughness quotient, the offensive ability goes down so you are losing a short handed threat to add more physicality.

The idea would be to improve the 4th line wingers to add bigger, tenacious guys to insulate Evans so his physical game isn't an issue at all.
Evans is as bland as it gets. No offense, no physicality. Would have fit great with that Dackell-Juneau-Sundstrom line back in the day, though.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Evans is as bland as it gets. No offense, no physicality. Would have fit great with that Dackell-Juneau-Sundstrom line back in the day, though.
I have to agree with @WeThreeKings . Evan’s has put up over 20 points a season(nearly 30 in two of the last three-the other being cut in half by injury). playing that role. That’s considered high offence for a fourth liner. Get better wingers .

That said, Beck and Kapanen will be great fits. BUT there’s absolutely no telling if they will do better than Jake at this point in time.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There is no way to know how much offense he has until he gets decent wingers.

Jul 6, 2016
Evans had already proven a lot at NHL level for a 7th round pick. I am not expecting more from him. Good on faceoffs and could be a touch better on PK.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I gotta agree with most here. Although I'm not a huge fan, he's pretty f***ing decent 4th line center. And you need these kind of guys who can sub for injured centers, replace them higher in the line-up as a band-aid solution. It's just that is ice time of last year was correlated to the injury to Dach so I in my mind I associated Evans to that situation I guess, that made me appreciate him less than he deserves.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
At one point you need to bring the success by yourself. Suzuki on the fourth line make it really dangerous with Nate Thompson and another scrub. I mean. Jake Evans is not more than a 3rd line player, 4th line on a contender. And this is clearly a success for a 7th round pick

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Did I dream Roy can / has pk? Pair him with a guy known for face-offs like Beck (not a luke warm 50% like JE) and we’re starting to talk. Add a big Florian X and that’s an interesting bottom 6 line you can match up and fill pk’s with. Guys who can read the play 200ft and score (going by hype for the 2 junior kids…)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'm saying this since 2 years for any young player paired with Dvo and Evans. Gally, Anderson Armia and Pezz doesn't help developp Roy, Ylonen, Heineman or any other. Having bad teamates who doesn't bring effort or are washed up is just a shut down developpment for youngsters They better developp in Laval or in almost any other league. Or what, they play in nhl but in a losing context where they damage their confidence and they have very limited ice, they are cut from the line-up if they make a mistake, that's sucks! I like if the Habs have better 3rd and 4th centers, at least one center per line who makes good play and the wingers developp to read the play. Monahan was fantastic for that. But it's like asking for the moon (moon, moonahan, lol)
Suzuki started on line 4. Roy can too. They have to showcase Anderson dvo and armia now. That will be the third line.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Did I dream Roy can / has pk? Pair him with a guy known for face-offs like Beck (not a luke warm 50% like JE) and we’re starting to talk. Add a big Florian X and that’s an interesting bottom 6 line you can match up and fill pk’s with. Guys who can read the play 200ft and score (going by hype for the 2 junior kids…)
Evans' 52% is pretty good when you consider he gets some of the hardest matchups on the team.

Beck may be known for his faceoffs in junior, but he's almost certainly going to take a step back to start given that the people he will be facing in the NHL, or AHL are stronger and way more experience in the dot than he's use to.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Evans had already proven a lot at NHL level for a 7th round pick. I am not expecting more from him. Good on faceoffs and could be a touch better on PK.
Stylistically for some reason I see Nick Cousins being a comparable with Evan’s being a rat. Not can skate, reliable on the dot and have some offensive touch. I’ll take that any day

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Agreed but what we think doesn’t matter. It’s asset management. They’re going to try and showcase him in the hope that someone will take him. Granted, if he’s an epic fail, then I totally agree that he doesn’t belong on the second line. My point was that I bet he’ll start the season there.

To start the season? No. They gave Anderson the opportunity. I’d be shocked if they were content to bury that contract on the 3rd line to start the year.
It will be Andy dvo and armia 3rd line. Roy has proven nothing and can move up from line 4 when possible.

• Haha
Reactions: rickthegoon

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Anderson got the chance in the top 6 to start the year (where Roy wasn't even on the team), not afterward. He was tried on the top line before Slaf, and since Slaf took over, Anderson wasn't really tried in the top 6. They could have put him back there instead of giving Roy a shot, but they didn't. Roy played some games with Monahan and frankly, they looked great together. Roy-Newhook-Armia was the second line before Roy got injured, leading to the 2nd line completely falling apart. Roy was the priority over Anderson to be in the top 6 after he played a couple of games in the bottom 6.

If we had the players, then sure you can ease Roy into a top 6 role. But we don't. Anderson/Gallagher/Armia should be closer to getting healthy scratched than being a key and consistent part of the top 6.
Oh come on are you serious?

Well in actual games he showed he knew what to do with the puck
Shoot it in the net? Not so much.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Evans is a good player on the 4th line. Drafted 207th overall he is the only Hab drafted in 2014 that developed into an NHL player.
The 7th round of 2014 produced 5 players who have played over 225 games. Excellent scouting by several teams.

If that was the only hab player from that draft that played in the nhl, I would say this was purely chance as opposed to great scouting. One of them had to hit.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If that was the only hab player from that draft that played in the nhl, I would say this was purely chance as opposed to great scouting. One of them had to hit.
5 players from the 2014 draft from the 7th round played 225 + games. My post was about 5 teams finding some good players in the last round.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have to agree with @WeThreeKings . Evan’s has put up over 20 points a season(nearly 30 in two of the last three-the other being cut in half by injury). playing that role. That’s considered high offence for a fourth liner. Get better wingers .

That said, Beck and Kapanen will be great fits. BUT there’s absolutely no telling if they will do better than Jake at this point in time.
He didn't do it on a fourth line. I'm not sure how that gets lost on people.

51.2% smokin' good.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He PKd in the WJC and in Sherby. The guy can do it all.

He's not gonna be playing bottom 6 though, he's firmly in the top 6 to me, we need a guy like him there.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Why has Jake Evans of all people taken over the Joshua Roy thread?

I wonder if they will move someone else to the top 6 so Newhook and Roy play together on the 3rd line.
LOL I clicked on a random thread and thought very quickly I was on an Evans thread. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad