Player Discussion: Joshua Bailey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What should we do with Bailey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Whatever you're linking isn't working.
Dont know what to tell you. shows for me and works fine. Baileys comments on "packup day". He was pretty candid

Capture.JPG

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
He is MIA 99% of the time and is shocked he isnt playing. On a personal note, he isnt a bad person. He would do good as a captain or Assistant captain on a young Anaheim squad or Phoenix and even Chicago. Let him teach the kids and go from there. Maybe a career in coaching, who knows but I am sure he can squeeze another 2 years on top of next somewhere else for league minimum.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
He is MIA 99% of the time and is shocked he isnt playing. On a personal note, he isnt a bad person. He would do good as a captain or Assistant captain on a young Anaheim squad or Phoenix and even Chicago. Let him teach the kids and go from there. Maybe a career in coaching, who knows but I am sure he can squeeze another 2 years on top of next somewhere else for league minimum.

That's what he says-- but I'll doubt that he doesn't know that his play is barely AHL level effort.

And how do you know he isn't a bad person? Did he help you move? Take you to the airport?

(yes, Seinfeld references)

Reactions: The Real JT

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
That's what he says-- but I'll doubt that he doesn't know that his play is barely AHL level effort.

And how do you know he isn't a bad person? Did he help you move? Take you to the airport?

(yes, Seinfeld references)

When we were introduced to Bailey at the 2008 draft, I believe all of us were thinking "Who the hell is Bailey?" I seem to remember Garth and Nolan selling Bailey as a character guy: something happened on his junior team, which Ted Nolan's son was on.

Perhaps, Bailey's character might be partly responsible for a culture shift that occurred after the Yashin years. Jason Blake was allegedly a problem in the locker room. July 1, 2007 is a day of infamy in Islanders' history: I remember one Ranger's fan quoting the creepy midget chick from Poltergeist saying "This house is clean" when all the rats jumped ship. Now, all these impending UFAs who resign here say how much they like it here. I'm not saying Bailey is even 10% responsible for the culture change, but there hasn't been any drama around him.

I, of course, don't know Bailey. But, I prefer to see the good in people more than the bad in them.

For me, his departure will feel like an old neighbor being sent to a nursing home: it's where he belongs, but a lot changed in my life from 2008 to 2023, and Bailey as an Islander was a tiny consistency during those years.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
When we were introduced to Bailey at the 2008 draft, I believe all of us were thinking "Who the hell is Bailey?" I seem to remember Garth and Nolan selling Bailey as a character guy: something happened on his junior team, which Ted Nolan's son was on.

Perhaps, Bailey's character might be partly responsible for a culture shift that occurred after the Yashin years. Jason Blake was allegedly a problem in the locker room. July 1, 2007 is a day of infamy in Islanders' history: I remember one Ranger's fan quoting the creepy midget chick from Poltergeist saying "This house is clean" when all the rats jumped ship. Now, all these impending UFAs who resign here say how much they like it here. I'm not saying Bailey is even 10% responsible for the culture change, but there hasn't been any drama around him.

I, of course, don't know Bailey. But, I prefer to see the good in people more than the bad in them.

For me, his departure will feel like an old neighbor being sent to a nursing home: it's where he belongs, but a lot changed in my life from 2008 to 2023, and Bailey as an Islander was a tiny consistency during those years.
Windsor Spitfire’s Captain, Mickey Renaud died suddenly of a heart condition. Bailey was a focal point of rallying the team. That team went on to win the memorial cup the following year. Bailey’s development was stunted by being in the NHL to make the SnoWanglanders cap compliant.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I actually think he would be a good bottom sixer for Buffalo. Don't see where he fits here.

Lee
Palms
Nelson
Horvat
Barzal
JGP
Czikas
Clutterbuck
Martin
Wahlstrom
Holmstrom
Fasching
Johnston
Parise?

That's 14. Prefer Parise to him. Don't think JGP had a particularly good year but don't think he is a trade target for anyone. Martin will obviously be back. Clutter? Johnston who I always have like may be a goner.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
hopefully theres a few options to trade him to at the draft or before the draft.

isles dont have 2023 or 2024 3rd round pick which would seem like an ideal cost of doing business to unload him .

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011

I think you’re absolutely right in your analysis, there definitely seemed to be a culture shift at that time and a lot of our draft picks that made it were high character guys. In that ’08 draft we also took Hamonic and Martin. ‘09 had Tavares, de Haan, Cizikas, and Lee, ‘10 had Nelson, ‘11 had Strome and Mayfield, ‘12 was Pelech, ‘13 was Pulock. Even in ‘14 we took Dal Colle who was by all accounts a great kid who just never panned out. So I do think you hit the nail on the head with Bailey, he was the first in a long stretch of picks where there was a high focus on character and team, and him being here as long as he has been is a testament to how the team believes they were correct about their assumptions with him.

Reactions: attilatheislander

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I actually think he would be a good bottom sixer for Buffalo. Don't see where he fits here.

Lee
Palms
Nelson
Horvat
Barzal
JGP
Czikas
Clutterbuck
Martin
Wahlstrom
Holmstrom
Fasching
Johnston
Parise?

That's 14. Prefer Parise to him. Don't think JGP had a particularly good year but don't think he is a trade target for anyone. Martin will obviously be back. Clutter? Johnston who I always have like may be a goner.
If Bailey costs $2,333,333 this year and $1,166,667 in 2024 as a buyout, and Buffalo would be interested, maybe we send them Bailey at $2.000,000 retained for the LA Kings 3rd round pick that Buffalo owns.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hello everyone.

I view Bailey as a potential target for Hawks as a cap dump/asset gain type move. Does he play both wings or is he exclusive to one?
Define “ play “ if you would be so kind this way I can put Bailey into your answer . Thanks

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know it's insane and we'd regret it big time in a couple of years (if not sooner, right?!?!), but I keep thinking maybe we include Bailey as a salary dump in a deal with SJ for Karlsson. Solve the 2 biggest offseason priorities in one deal.

Reactions: miscs75

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know it's insane and we'd regret it big time in a couple of years (if not sooner, right?!?!), but I keep thinking maybe we include Bailey as a salary dump in a deal with SJ for Karlsson. Solve the 2 biggest offseason priorities in one deal.
Take the long view and you’d never make that trade.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Take the long view and you’d never make that trade.
Yeah, keep Bailey and let him play out his contract. Trade any good players for picks. Hire Capuano as coach. Draft top 5 several consecutive years. Awesome.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, keep Bailey and let him play out his contract. Trade any good players for picks. Hire Capuano as coach. Draft top 5 several consecutive years. Awesome.
Why does it have to be eitherthe Gordon/Cappy days or keep mucking along the way we’ve been?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Why does it have to be eitherthe Gordon/Cappy days or keep mucking along the way we’ve been?
If you're going to do a rebuild, then you may as well go all in and suck as much as possible so you have high end draft picks. Cappy is the perfect coach for that. You should be totally on board with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad