Player Discussion: Joshua Bailey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What should we do with Bailey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
to quote the great Logan Roy - "you are not serious people" and that is exactly what I would say to the organization if this happens.
Its funny -- IIRC, he had two seasons of 100+ points right?

While we know the hot mess -- the #'s sure do tell a different story

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I have always liked Bailey...past this last season. The enormous drop off is still a bit puzzling. He has however been one hell of an Islander and i would think buying him out and letting him make his own decision and plans where to play next, are deserved.
I agree with your point that treating Bailey well should be a consideration. Does this clearly state the options?

1. Sending him to the AHL saves 1.150 off the cap
Pro:
- No cost to future years or assets.
- NYI retain additional depth.
- Bailey might not want to play in the AHL, and LTI-Retires.
Con:
- Saves the least off the cap.
- Treats a loyal player badly.

2. Buying him out.
Pros:
- Saves 2.46 off the cap in 23/24
- No cost to futures
- Treats loyal player with respect
Cons:
- Costs 1.115 on the cap in 24/25

3. Retaining 50% on give-away trade
Pros:
- Saves 1.75 off the cap in 23/24
- No cost to futures
Cons:
- Possibly treats a loyal player badly.

4. Trade with an asset without retention
Pros:
- Saves 5 off the cap in 23/24
Con:
- The long term pain/lack of flexibility from the lost asset could hurt more.

Bailey is one of those players who plays better with good players. He doesn't work as a bottom 6 forward, he doesn't work with Barzal, so his only fit is on Nelson's RW, which is where Palmieri is. If NYI bury Bailey, he becomes insurance in case of a Palmieri injury. Maybe not a terrible thing because Palmieri does play a risky game.

Management has an advantage because they have to know Bailey's preferences. Personally, I'd delay the decision about buyout/burying until late June. NYI will have 5 days when they can both speak to UFAs, and buy out contracts. Then they can know best how important a 1.31M AAV difference on the 2023 cap is for them (2.46 buyout saves minus 1.15M AAV savings for buried contracts).

to quote the great Logan Roy - "you are not serious people" and that is exactly what I would say to the organization if this happens.
I don't understand why Capuano has never been a college coach. It's strange, because one would think it'd fit his style, and he has so much experience with the US National Program.

Reactions: CaptDenisPotvin

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I agree with your point that treating Bailey well should be a consideration. Does this clearly state the options?

Pro:
Con:

2. Buying him out.
Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
Con:

Bailey is one of those players who plays better with good players. He doesn't work as a bottom 6 forward, he doesn't work with Barzal, so his only fit is on Nelson's RW, which is where Palmieri is. If NYI bury Bailey, he becomes insurance in case of a Palmieri injury. Maybe not a terrible thing because Palmieri does play a risky game.

Management has an advantage because they have to know Bailey's preferences. Personally, I'd delay the decision about buyout/burying until late June. NYI will have 5 days when they can both speak to UFAs, and buy out contracts. Then they can know best how important a 1.31M AAV difference on the 2023 cap is for them (2.46 buyout saves minus 1.15M AAV savings for buried contracts).

I don't understand why Capuano has never been a college coach. It's strange, because one would think it'd fit his style, and he has so much experience with the US National Program.

Capunao was actually offered the University of Maine Hockey operations position but Garth made him turn it down. I agree, he would be a great coach for young kids but he isn't an NHL coach. Maybe an assistant but he was here solely for being a YES MAN. If him or Garth come back at all in any capacity I am done with this franchise.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I think there will be teams that are looking for a good/bad cap hit for lesser dollars owed. Bailey does offer that, and it's only for one year, so the receiving team can readjust after a year. To boot, Josh can definitely be traded and play anywhere for that one year so that's another roster spot taken net of league minimum (whatever that is these days $750K?). For certain teams, this will be a positive, as they try to fail at the lowest cap compliant price possible. We were once there, too. Snow was a master of that stuff - at Wang's behest.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Pro:
Con:

2. Buying him out.
Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
Con:

Another option is to trade Bailey to equalize cap hits in a trade for a player that fills a hole for the Isles. People have mentioned sending him to SJ for that purpose in a deal for Karlsson. Another example, maybe more realistic, would be to trade Bailey and the negotiation rights to Mayfield to NAS for Tyson Barrie (qualifier - I know Barrie has holes in his game and I haven't seen him play in a couple of years). Their new GM might be on board with that, and the Isles put Barrie on the 3rd pair and 1st PP. Aho would also have to go in that case.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Pro:
Con:

2. Buying him out.
Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
- No cost to futures
Cons:

Pros:
Con:

5) He slips in the shower while reaching for the soap and spends the last year of his contract on LTIR

6) He walks into his bedroom and sees a severed horse's head with a note saying "Best Wishes, Lou" and retires on the spot

7) Pajama Boy invites him for a weekend and he forgets to report to camp, voiding his contract

8) He hits on Powerball and takes a one-year cruise, forgetting when training camp starts

He's likely getting bought out

I think there will be teams that are looking for a good/bad cap hit for lesser dollars owed. Bailey does offer that, and it's only for one year, so the receiving team can readjust after a year. To boot, Josh can definitely be traded and play anywhere for that one year so that's another roster spot taken net of league minimum (whatever that is these days $750K?). For certain teams, this will be a positive, as they try to fail at the lowest cap compliant price possible. We were once there, too. Snow was a master of that stuff - at Wang's behest.
Your user name fits . . . :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: MarsTBOW

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Lol… I literally laughed out loud at this.

00468A08-DF4A-4E97-BFE9-D29EF94D20BE.jpeg

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
In that case, I’d say he’s more of a Josh Moat than a Josh Bailey

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Just looking at the cap situation next year he sticks out like a sore thumb. The 5 mill has to be moved off the books, hopefully for some team speed which we sorely lack. I would contemplate buying him out so everyone can move on. I can also see him on a team like Ottawa, Zona or even Buffalo as a veteran leader because its a short term contract that wouldn't hurt teams down the road for signing young players.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just looking at the cap situation next year he sticks out like a sore thumb. The 5 mill has to be moved off the books, hopefully for some team speed which we sorely lack. I would contemplate buying him out so everyone can move on. I can also see him on a team like Ottawa, Zona or even Buffalo as a veteran leader because its a short term contract that wouldn't hurt teams down the road for signing young players.

Whereas it would be nice to find a dance partner, and a buyout doesn't carry too much of a penalty, Lou is the king of Robidas Island.

I think he can make Bailey's contract disappear without there being much fuss about it.

We've said it many times in recent months; it'd be a form of failure to be giving another team draft capital to take on Bailey's contract for us.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Anaheim or Ottawa bound. Arizona or Buffalo less likely, don’t think Chicago is going to want any more veterans.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Anaheim or Ottawa bound. Arizona or Buffalo less likely, don’t think Chicago is going to want any more veterans.
I still think a Bailey for Nemeth swap make sense.

It's the same salary price for both Bailey and Nemeth but they gain 2.5 in cap hit which benefits their needing to hit the floor at lowest possible salary and if we buy out Nemeth after it's 130K this year and 1 million next year.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
"The easy way Josh or the Hard way...."
Your Choice...
But tomorrow starts the Buyout Window till June 30th.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
"The easy way Josh or the Hard way...."
Your Choice...
But tomorrow starts the Buyout Window till June 30th.

If Lou buys out Bailey my guess is that it will be in the first minute of the buyout period, or on June 30th at 4:59pm.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Technically, it could be anytime in between too . . . just saying . . .

Make it so Lou
Technically, true. :)

We've suggested possibly trading Bailey for a player another team is trying to dump. Is it crazy to suggest Bailey for Boeser or Garland? They both have additional years and much less attractive buyouts than Bailey, and word is VAN may need to send them away for nothing or even pay an asset. And if Mayfield doesn't re-sign, how bad is Tyler Myers (for a year as RHD on the 3rd pair)? VAN would probably have to add something in a Bailey for Myers trade. But, Myers could be really bad. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad