Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Im envisioning a reclamation project for reclamation project sort of trade if it happens - taking back someone else's ~$900K AHLer.
That’s the only way a trade for him works out. Contract for contract.

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
Once you request a trade, it means he no longer wants to be an Islander. I’m done. (I think). Send him to the ECHL. Is that even possible?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Once you request a trade, it means he no longer wants to be an Islander. I’m done. (I think). Send him to the ECHL. Is that even possible?

He'd be paid a lot of money to be in the ECHL. That's not going to happen.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
oh he definitely wanted to be an Islander, the powers that be are the ones who did not want him on the Islanders

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If a trade can't be worked out and JHS doesn't want to report to Bridgeport, can he just walk away from his contract and go to Europe/KHL? If so, I'm thinking his agent is starting to make a few calls to see what's out there, just in case.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
I have never been a big fan.

He is a liability on the ice, his shifts are too long and while very talented, he has trouble holding the puck. He looses it when the nearest defender burps in his direction. This is not a player I am particular concerned with. Time to move on!

Incidentally — the NY Islanders don't have Mike Milbury as coach. Jack Capuano and Doug Weight are gone, and so is Garth Snow. In their place is arguable the best coach in the NHL — oh gee, no wait, he IS the best coach in the NHL. The Jack Adams winner — twice, along with a Stanley Cup. His staff is among the best as well. And the guy in the GMs office is no dummy either.

Point is — they KNOW how to evaluate talent. I find it hard to believe that they "missed it" on this player.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
oh he definitely wanted to be an Islander, the powers that be are the ones who did not want him on the Islanders

I do enjoy that this is the hill you picked to die on. Where's the other guy who said he wouldn't pass through waivers?

The powers that be? Holy crap. :laugh:

Go cheer for whatever team he gets traded to, and enjoy watching him get knocked off the puck, fall down, and play zero defense.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

He asked for a trade, and Lou told him to stay home. I guess not reporting isn't a character flaw anymore.. or instead asking for a trade is a character flaw. Or like whatever happens whatever will be a character flaw.

Its possible Lou simply wont admit he's a malcontent refusing to report like a professional. It'd kill whatever pittance of trade value jsh has for anymore than an echl goon

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Its possible Lou simply wont admit he's a malcontent refusing to report like a professional. It'd kill whatever pittance of trade value jsh has for anymore than an echl goon

I don't think so because if a trade can't be worked out and then Ho-Sang doesn't report, what will Lamoriello say then? I guess he could just say he won't report now. Not sure how that'd look.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Have any of you ever played sports? Possibly at a level where you began to fail with regularity? How can you be so certain that it's a character flaw as opposed to a lack of ability?

Also, nobody got all pissy off Schremp went to Europe. If it's "just like Schremp" why not act like it's "just like Schremp"? Because Garth Snow wasted a 1st round pick? It wasn't the first one he wasted (O'Marra) and it wasn't the last (Bellows).
O'Marra was picked by Milbury BTW. The first 1st rd pick by Snow was in 2008 (Josh Bailey).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Vancouver has been unhappy with Virtanen and they also need some breathing room in terms of Cap.

Ho-Sang passing via waivers allows the acquiring team to stuff him on the AHL team.

Canucks can ship Virtanen to NYI for JHS and then call up Baertschi.

I wouldn’t mind Virtanen - he is childhood friends with Maty... might be a fit

Reactions: MarsTBOW and mm11

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Vancouver has been unhappy with Virtanen and they also need some breathing room in terms of Cap.

Ho-Sang passing via waivers allows the acquiring team to stuff him on the AHL team.

Canucks can ship Virtanen to NYI for JHS and then call up Baertschi.

I wouldn’t mind Virtanen - he is childhood friends with Maty... might be a fit

Would Vancouver even do a Virtanen for Ho-Sang swap? From the little I know of JV, great tools with no toolbox. He can at least crash and bang though.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sometimes the slipper doesn't fit.

I have no problem with him as a human being, I actually like a player who speaks his mind. It's no secret that this sport has traditionally been populated by players who came up in a system where they left home early, were put up in Billets, where they had to be on their best behavior, and had to comply with a Darwinian style climb up a ladder that was not very accommodating to personality.

But that is NO SECRET.

At some point you have to conform, UNTIL you prove the cost of the distraction is less than the benefit of the performance. Denis Potvin is a perfect example of this. In his first few years he ticked off the vets and the organization with his words. I remember how he told an interviewer he couldn't understand why all the players DIDN'T want to live in NYC, instead of Long Island, because of all the city had to offer. He was passed over for captain for a couple of years until he a) made amends with his teammates and b) put in an on-ice performance that was at a high level.

At this point Josh should be traded but if he doesn't understand it's NOT LL and BT, but HIS willingness to accept that he DOES NOT control the situation or the environment, will determine if he'll ever make the NHL his permanent home. He could have a great time in Germany or Austria or something similar and just play his way and maybe he would be a LOT happier that way. But if he wants to continue to bang his head against the wall and not adapt to the reality of a league that is driven more conservatively than the other major sports then I fear he'll be writing some angry autobiography one day that few of us will want to read. He's an intelligent young man, but sometimes you can be too smart for your own good, as many of us have experienced in certain situations.

I wish you well Josh.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think the "personality" stuff might be overrated with JHS and LL/BT. For current management, it's all about getting 100% buy-in from the TEAM to the system. Note that most forwards gave up offense to fit in the defensive system last year. So I don't know that LL/BT dislike JHS or have any issue with him beyond that he's not up to their standards yet when it comes to playing the system. And maybe part of the reason JHS requested a trade is that he'd rather play in some other system rather than conform to this one. So maybe it's just time to part ways for the benefit of all....

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think the "personality" stuff might be overrated with JHS and LL/BT. For current management, it's all about getting 100% buy-in from the TEAM to the system. Note that most forwards gave up offense to fit in the defensive system last year. So I don't know that LL/BT dislike JHS or have any issue with him beyond that he's not up to their standards yet when it comes to playing the system. And maybe part of the reason JHS requested a trade is that he'd rather play in some other system rather than conform to this one. So maybe it's just time to part ways for the benefit of all....

I think this is all it is. Everything is on the ice. He hasn't been good enough and hasn't played up to Trotz' standards. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: CupHolders

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I don't think so because if a trade can't be worked out and then Ho-Sang doesn't report, what will Lamoriello say then? I guess he could just say he won't report now. Not sure how that'd look.
If you can't work out a trade then it doesn't matter but it doesn't make sense to kill his value potentially before even trying to work out a trade

Reactions: PK Cronin

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'm fine with the comments to the media about when being on the big club that they were 9-1 and how he feels he's been slighted.

BUT, show up to work and do your job. I mean come on dude. Get rid of him.

Reactions: periferal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If that were the case Lou would release him from his contract.

Reactions: PK Cronin

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Good for Ho Sang. He has been dicked around for years by this team in favor of talentless stiffs over and over again.
The Islanders bent over backwards waiting for Ho-Sang to develop. Even QO’d him this summer instead of telling him to take a hike. Gave him a carrot on a stick contract of $70,000 in the AHL and $864,000 to make it to the show and he still couldn’t bring his A game every night. Ho-Sang dicked himself.

You got some view of things bruh.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The Islanders bent over backwards waiting for Ho-Sang to develop. Even QO’d him this summer instead of telling him to take a hike. Gave him a carrot on a stick contract of $70,000 in the AHL and $864,000 to make it to the show and he still couldn’t bring his A game every night. Ho-Sang dicked himself.

You got some view of things bruh.

Imagine if your average working stiff had that kind of incentive at their job. Perform at a high level and you will receive a 1,100% raise. LOL. I'd be pretty motivated...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad