Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m as rattled with Connor’s play from the 4-2 goal onward as anything else to be honest. The f***ing giveaway on the tying goal, but everything else just crumbled.

All the bad habits were back. Circling in the d zone looking for a quick break while getting perpetually buried, throwing the puck around to nowhere, not engaging in board battles, etc.

He flat out flailed and I’m stunned by it. He has not played good in any sense these playoffs and it’s a problem.

I mentioned earlier it's the elephant in the room. His overall performance is a concern.

Drai has the same type of immaturities in his game as well but he has shown more ability to elevate in a tight series.

Not really sure what to think anymore tbh.

Reactions: HK97 and K1984

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
*Sigh* This team didn't make the playoffs in in 2018 or 2019, lost in the play in round in 2020 to the Blackhawks 3-1 and now they might get swept by the Jets. Something needs to happen this team is just not deep enough. We need a real scoring winger we need another scoring defenseman and I like Mike SMith but we need a young/semi young decent goalie. Oilers have only had a couple strong goalies in there whole NHL history. I like Nugent Hopkins but I hope they don't resign him and try to get a more offensive player out there. I am so crushed guys covid has made the last few years suck for me and everyone and the Oilers was my one escape from everything and they just can't win.

Reactions: rangersblues

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Other fan bases have suffered from continual playoff losses or not even getting there for years or decades. It's not that unusual. May take a long time to get that cup. A:ready been 31 years and counting. Leaf fans have waited longer. Winnipeg has never won the SC.

Reactions: moon111

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
McDavid literally dragged this steaming pile of shit to the playoffs lol

then he went pointless for two games and came back with a 3 point game. The rest of the team has been able to muster up 1 goal combined. And the verdict is that McDavid needs to do more?

Swap McDavid with MacKinnon and this team will still be down 3-0 because the Jets only have to play defense against one line. We're a one line team, one line teams lose. It's that simple.

Boston was able to beat Washington because by adding Hall they became a two line team. Adding Hall also pushed whoever was there down to the bottom 6, and then their bottom 6 became stronger as a result. DeBrusk Coyle were dominant.

As a Leaf fan, I've seen Tyler Bozak going from a -34 one season to a +6 in another, to winning the Cup with St.Louis. As pathetic as it was, he was 'the show'... and if his line didn't score, nobody was going to score. Bozak wasn't an elite offensive force, but he really was a smart decent two-way hockey player... that had to open his game up constantly. Although McDavid is elite, he's playing like Bozak use to, with knowledge that all the offense is on him. Please don't take this as a McDavid v.s. Matthews thing... but I think Matthews and Tavares have both been able to put more focus on their defensive game because they know that all the offense doesn't have to fall on just their line. The lack of secondary scoring doesn't just hurt offense, it hurts the defensive play of the select few offensive players you do have as well. Best of luck with the rest of the series.

space321

May 11, 2011
And yet lots of Oilers were saying face offs were overrated . I think the suck has set into the fan base to the point they don’t know the little things make a big difference.

One isolated case of a losing faceoff resulting in a goal does not mean faceoffs wins are directly correlated with success.

Obviously, the more draws you win the better, but it's far down the list of priorities.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Winnipeg went total shut down the first two games and relied on their Vezina winning goalie to win those games. In two games they only scored 3 goals. That barely wins you a game in two games.

3 goals may barely win you 2 games but 1 goal in 2 games won us NOTHING. How about allowing 3 goals in 3 min? That’s a sure fire way to lose a game. Instead of talking about how lucky or bad the Jets are we need to focus on what we are doing.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
And what will these players make once their contracts are up? Nichushkin is already making $2.5M. Haula likely returns to his previous contract numbers (if not higher), and Coleman is going to get paid

Jason Spezza is an absolute outlier that is literally only playing because he wanted to be a Leaf and they dictated the terms to him. Maybe we can hold out for Spurgeon to take a hometown deal once he's about to retire.

Come on.

Let's play this game and assume that they can sign a gem to a steal of a contract, how many of them are going to sign a sweetheart deal to play for a bubble team instead of taking that same contract with a proven contender?

Kahun didn't sign here at $1M to be a 4th liner and continue to be paid that amount. He signed here at $1M because he saw an opportunity for a top 6 spot with a childhood friend and an opportunity for a payday.
Nichushkin even at his 2.5 million is more valuable than Adam Larsson's leadereship grit ass. Haula and Coleman might get paid next year but the one or two years they played at that contract is already more value than any of our shit ass intanigbles>skill bottom 6 forward trash offer combined.

Reactions: 29292929

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
One isolated case of a losing faceoff resulting in a goal does not mean faceoffs wins are directly correlated with success.

Obviously, the more draws you win the better, but it's far down the list of priorities.

Well this is a pretty F*^king big example now isn’t it?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Lol Jesus you guys. Next stop bandwagon station.

Winnipeg went total shut down the first two games and relied on their Vezina winning goalie to win those games. In two games they only scored 3 goals. That barely wins you a game in two games.

Now does this loss suck? Frick yes. It was a big game that they lost composure when it mattered. They dominated and made that Vezina goalie look average only to get rattled and lose it. But the Oilers ARE THE BETTER TEAM but they must be the better team. I still have faith.

At the end of the day, good teams find ways to win hockey games. We are not a good team. In fact, we are a lotto team + McDrai

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It’s not about winning a cup it’s about not being down 3-0 to mediocre team we dominated all year.

To b fair we been the better team in pretty much all 3 games. Hellebuyck has been huge. Smith hasn't been bad but he doesn't seem to make that needed key save

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And yet lots of Oilers were saying face offs were overrated . I think the suck has set into the fan base to the point they don’t know the little things make a big difference.

Faceoffs are overrated when you're deciding between a guy who can win faceoffs and a good player.

Unfortunately the Oilers have neither of those.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
As a Leaf fan, I've seen Tyler Bozak going from a -34 one season to a +6 in another, to winning the Cup with St.Louis. As pathetic as it was, he was 'the show'... and if his line didn't score, nobody was going to score. Bozak wasn't an elite offensive force, but he really was a smart decent two-way hockey player... that had to open his game up constantly. Although McDavid is elite, he's playing like Bozak use to, with knowledge that all the offense is on him. Please don't take this as a McDavid v.s. Matthews thing... but I think Matthews and Tavares have both been able to put more focus on their defensive game because they know that all the offense doesn't have to fall on just their line. The lack of secondary scoring doesn't just hurt offense, it hurts the defensive play of the select few offensive players you do have as well. Best of luck with the rest of the series.
lol, cruising through the opponents post game thread as I always do after a big Jets win, and see this guy talking about Auston Mathews? rofl, wtf

Reactions: BLONG7

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I feel nothing.

Oilers, Crypto, Covid, and so on. Everything's normal and good.
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Reactions: Drivesaitl

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I’m so embarrassed for this team I can’t even sleep

something something rent free
As a non oilers/non jets fan, I find Edmonton has no identity. Like it’s all Connor/Leon and the bottom 6 and wingers are just a mish mash of players with no identity. None of those players stand out. Individually, some of them might be good players but it doesn’t come together as a team.

also what’s the plan for next year in goal? Bring Mike smith back I assume but it’s hard to imagine he can do any better/even the same. Is there concern of a drop off in goal for next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00