Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

space321

May 11, 2011
1. You need to realize that winning 4 out of 24 D Zone face offs is not a winning recipe.
2. The reason why we lost OT was because we lost the face off...period
3. Working on face offs is an individual skill and not a team skill and in no way takes away from anything the team needs to work on.
4. Playoff hockey is often not about who plays the best but who makes the least mistakes. If you think that giving the opponents the puck 75% of the time they face off in our zone is not a big deal then thank god you are only an armchair coach.

You need to realize that faceoff win % has little to no correlation with winning games.

We lost OT on a lost faceoff, yes, but it's a very very rare occurrence. Losing 75% of faceoffs does not equate to the opponent having 75% puck possession. I never said they shouldn't work on improving it, I just said it shouldn't be a priority.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
You need to learn more about rare-event statistics dude

Losing faceoff directly leading to goal against happens like a couple times per season, it's not on high on the list of priorities that this team needs to fix right now.
90% of the Jets' pressure last night came off of lost defensive zone draws. The OT winner came off a lost defensive zone draw.

It's one of many priorities the team needs to fix regardless of its correlation to winning or losing games. I'm sure someone can analyze this but it feels like half of the goals against this series have been because of sustained pressure the Jets generate due to our team's inability to win key defensive zone faceoffs.

space321

May 11, 2011
90% of the Jets' pressure last night came off of lost defensive zone draws. The OT winner came off a lost defensive zone draw.

It's one of many priorities the team needs to fix regardless of its correlation to winning or losing games. I'm sure someone can analyze this but it feels like half of the goals against this series have been because of sustained pressure the Jets generate due to our team's inability to win key defensive zone faceoffs.

You think winning/losing faceoffs determines sustained zone pressure? Okay, let's just agree to disagree. I've seen the statistics before and they don't back up what you're saying but whatever, it's late and I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
You need to realize that faceoff win % has little to no correlation with winning games.

You need to realize that I am not talking about face off % throughout an entire game. There are critical face offs that do have impact to a game. Like a D Zone face off in OT in the playoffs. You aren’t going to convince anyone that giving the puck to our opponent in our own zone during Stanley Cup playoff in OT is no big deal or a recipe for success :laugh:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's pretty sad, the radio crew clearly won't have it.

He's having a tough playoffs, get over it.
He did get 3 assists last game. I won’t ever give up or call out McDavid. He’s done his job. Other then the 4th goal. He didn’t cause those goals. Plus, the 4th one was a wrist shot. A WRIST SHOT. How do you not stop that??

Reactions: TB12

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
My absolute FAVOURITE part of an absolutely crushing (likely season ending) loss like last night is fans of other teams coming in here to tell us all the problems with this team.
Not to do exactly what you are annoyed with, but... what is the solution here? What is the problem? I suspect it’s not something that can be fixed overnight or maybe even over the course of a year, but I can’t imagine this team is THAT far off.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Not to do exactly what you are annoyed with, but... what is the solution here? What is the problem? I suspect it’s not something that can be fixed overnight or maybe even over the course of a year, but I can’t imagine this team is THAT far off.
We have like 3 threads going with people suggesting their fixes for this team. Honestly, I really don’t know the answer. But I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that this is the biggest offseason in the modern era for the Oilers. If Holland messes it up with the cap space he has then Connor will never win a Cup here and, in my opinion, will leave as a UFA eventually (hurts just to type that). But I really think if he doesn’t get the pieces this summer that’s it for this core. Regular season success is nothing and they need to get pieces that can push for a Cup.

What and who those pieces are? I honestly don’t know. This requires some big moves and probably some luck.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Khaira standing around scratching his ass on the tying goal and gets beat on the faceoff for the winning goal. Pure garbage player.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Khaira standing around scratching his ass on the tying goal and gets beat on the faceoff for the winning goal. Pure garbage player.

Khaira does not leave me with a lot of confidence when he's on the ice. When he's doing well he's actually decent but you can never tell when he's going to have his head up his a** on any given shift. Sometimes he'll even have a great first 1/3 of a shift and completely sh** the bed in the final 2/3. Not a reliable player.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I feel sorry for Arch. Yes he took a bad penalty at a bad time, changed the momentum of the game and probably ended the series. He has our been hardest working forward. The rush game isn’t working but little Arch is one of few fighting to get to the slot. After talking hundreds of cross checks to shoulders and head most of which go unpenalized they will suspend him for undercutting a player who would have made him eat a stick if he had saw him coming. No chance for redemption in game 4. If we want to win a playoff series we need more Archibalds not less

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
As if we don't know lol...idiots..it's trolling just looking for an excuse to troll.

To be fair, there are quite a few posters who genuinely don't seem to see what's wrong with the team. They are the posters who are uncritically positive and complained about the "negative" posters after the game 1 and 2 losses, when it was pretty obvious that the Oilers were playing the same way they did against Chicago last year, and that there was no way they were going to win this series being so structurally bad. Time and time again, the "chicken littles" end up being right.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Im I the only one of the opinion of Khaira didnt cover his man on the 4 -4 goal?
The tying goal is on McDavid 100%. Completely unforced turnover. Khaira lost his man on the 4-3 goal, puck-watching. He wasn't on the ice for the tying goal.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Would love to see a Broberg-Bouchard pairing tonight. Why not?

That would be wonderful, but the coach is too much of a coward and thinks playing ‘his guys’ will give him a better chance of prolonging his NHL career. Wonder if he ever coaches again after tonight.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure what's more disappointing. The Oilers gassing a 3 goal lead, or some of the posters on here wanted to draw and hang Josh Archibald. Hopefully it was just knee jerk reactions (gee, that NEVER happens around here;)) immediately after a tough one to swallow.
Archibald made a bad decision, even a selfish one. He and Stanley had been going at it all game, and as we all know, Archie doesn't back down from anyone. It's one of the reasons he is one this team, and most of us really like him. Yes it was a bad penalty to take, when we had the game under control. But to hang this on him and him alone is really , really narrow-minded. Both Drai and McDavid have taken selfish penalties in the past to get back at guys that were all over them. Yah, I get that they are big scorers and Archie is not. but the point is, that everyone cracks now and then.
We didn't kill the penalty for starters, when we had 3 guys in the box and none of them cleared the puck - Leon flat out fanned on it.
But even with a Jets score, we had a 2 goal lead. And then Ethan Bear does what Ethan Bear had been doing all game. Getting owned by the Jets in his own end. And the rest of the team collapsed. Even the heretofortold solid and stable Smitty got in the act and gave up a juicy rebound to Wheeler. Jesse Puljujarvi did his part by doing a flyby on Morrison when he should have gone right at him with control. But he panicked as well.
The faceoffs for this team were beyond brutal. I didn't even need a stat sheet to tell me that. We were commenting part way through the game that the Oilers couldn't win a faceoff if their life depended on it, and it was going to cost them. Ironically, the much mailgned Nuge was 4-1, which shows you how bad the rest of the team was.
And then there's Tippett. What to say. Keeps putting Draisatl on the PK when he should be saving him for offence and even the next game with a 4-1 lead. Pairs Bear on the top pairing with Nurse, and keeps him there ALL freaking game. The McLeod line got eaten alive for a good portion of the game as well. He is not making a very good case for himself going forward.
This loss was a TEAM effort, in every way. You can say the penalty was a momentum changer, and while that's true, if your team is really good enough to win in the playoffs, they should be able to hang on to a 3 goal lead with 8 minutes left. Will be interesting to see if they can rise above this and give a good effort in game 4 or go quietly into the night.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I’m as rattled with Connor’s play from the 4-2 goal onward as anything else to be honest. The f***ing giveaway on the tying goal is one thing, but everything else just crumbled.

All the bad habits were back. Circling in the d zone looking for a quick break while getting perpetually buried, throwing the puck around to nowhere, not engaging in board battles, etc.

He flat out flailed and I’m stunned by it. He has not played good in any sense these playoffs and it’s a problem. We can blame the depth all we want, but the top line was getting buried as much if not worse than any line on the team down the stretch.

100%. Even earlier in the game when we were up 2-0 or 2-1 or 3-1 you can tell he got a bit complacent and his line did not have the same drive and urgency. They had a bunch of chances to get dangerous shots on net and tried to make passing plays to pass the puck in the net. All which failed or led to them moving the puck to a less dangerous spot for the shot by over passing.

Example, there was a rush where Connor brought it in and I think he moved it off to Bear who returned the pass to Connor (nice play) who was in position A+++ with time and space to fire a shot on goal.... what does Connor do?... He delays looking for a pass... eventually he moves the puck to Nurse I think in a tighter and a bit more awkward spot (worse angle) with less time in close. Completely unnecessary pass as it wasn't even moving the goalie laterally.

The guy doesn't get it. He almost feel like his self worth is how sexy he can make goals look. That's not a playoff hockey play. It's arrogance thinking he can toy with the Jets while up 2-0 in the game and try to pass the puck in the net. You are not too good to fire a fu**ing puck on net Connor!

Get Drai off Connor's line. I think Drai is maybe able to get it and I don't want him learning Connor's bad habits.

Reactions: MessierII

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

We lost OT on a lost faceoff, yes, but it's a very very rare occurrence. Losing 75% of faceoffs does not equate to the opponent having 75% puck possession. I never said they shouldn't work on improving it, I just said it shouldn't be a priority.
2 goals last night directly from D zone faceoffs, in which the Oilers won 4 of 24 at 17%..better at faceoffs they win this game..it is very important.

Reactions: Messrules11

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He did get 3 assists last game. I won’t ever give up or call out McDavid. He’s done his job. Other then the 4th goal. He didn’t cause those goals. Plus, the 4th one was a wrist shot. A WRIST SHOT. How do you not stop that??
90% of the goals scored in this league are probably from wrist shots.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
My absolute FAVOURITE part of an absolutely crushing (likely season ending) loss like last night is fans of other teams coming in here to tell us all the problems with this team.

And go figure, they are all Leafs fans. Insufferable bunch they are :laugh:

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad