Post-Game Talk: Josh Archibald has eliminated the Oilers from playoff contention

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The team kept the Jets to 3 goals against in the first two games. Mcdavid and Drai no showed and then Mcdavid gave it away in his own end right after they made it a one goal game essentially putting a huge stain on his one good game this series. Mcdavid had a disaster playoffs. We’re now 1-5 in OT with Mcdavid he has 0 points in those overtimes. He is the opposite of clutch.

It's fair to criticize McDavid (and Draisaitl) for the first 2 games. It's a joke to try and lay the blame on McDavid tonight. It's also a joke to put absolutely everything on the feet of McDrai and just excuse every other player on the roster for failing to produce.

One goal in 3 games without McDavid on the ice.

Oh yeah the team is definitely doing their part.

Give me a f***ing break.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's fair to criticize McDavid (and Draisaitl) for the first 2 games. It's a joke to try and lay the blame on McDavid tonight. It's also a joke to put absolutely everything on the feet of McDrai and just excuse every other player on the roster for failing to produce.

Give me a f***ing break.

The line with that 1 goal allows 2 others while looking like donkeys in the same game. Also take the penalty that sparks the Jets comeback :ha:

Maybe that's above average though. 1 for, create 3 against. That's at least 25% in our favour instead of the usual 0%.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Oilers doing their responsible civic part to eliminate playoff partying on Whyte Avenue during a pandemic.

Winnipeg, with cases soaring, gets no such luck.

tongue in cheek post, not serious..

I feel like I have to say that..
I was thinking what a boon a couple rounds would be for some of my clients. So oilers they can't even make it out of the alberta lockdown still in contention. Just like last year. Hustled to build out patios that got used three times for oil games .

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The Leafs are paying their top 2 players more than the Oilers are paying McDrai. Then they have another 10.5M forward and a 6.9M forward and still have a bottom 6 that absolutely decimates the Oilers' bottom 6.

I know this is going to hurt for some people to hear but it sure helps when you have quality vets from the GTA (probably the biggest pool of hockey players in the league) lining up to sign at a discount and drafted most of the rest that aren't rentals.

The Oilers are finally in a position to start playing some of their drafted talent. The bottom 6 is the perfect place for them to start. Focus on upgrading the positions that eat the most minutes, like top 4D, top 6 forwards, 1G.

Throw out a few lines at guys like Kahun or Barrie looking to parlay their play into a payday next contract but you won't be filling your bottom 6 with these types when there are 31 other teams looking to do the same.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Give me a f***ing break.
The Jets only scored 3 goals in the first two games. The team put Mcdavid in a situation where he could easily push them over the top and he didn’t. He wasn’t good enough and until proven otherwise he is not a big game player.

Reactions: HK97

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Jets only scored 3 goals in the first two games. The team put Mcdavid in a situation where he could easily push them over the top and he didn’t. He wasn’t good enough and until proven otherwise he is not a big game player.

Never seen a hot goalie shut down players before? The sample size is gonna be looking tiny these playoffs unfortunately, but this happens a lot. Sucks we have zero depth on this team to be able to handle any hiccup at all though. We got some scoring from the top line tonight. Gotta watch our below replacement level 4th line let 2 in against the Jets 2nd line and create 1 more against with a crap penalty.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
At any rate, the Oilers only have 3-4 bottom six guys signed going into next season, Neal, Archibald, Turris and Kassian.

Kassian's game tonight probably got him another look next season or a decent offer and gets traded.

Neal is likely bought out which frees up a spot

Archibald likely returns (sorry those that hate to hear that)

Turris might get another kick at the can early on but will get buried when he (inevitably) loses his spot.

Khaira, Kahun and Shore are the only bottom 6 RFAs. Maybe 1 or two of them return (if Shore and Khaira, as extra forwards).

The bottom 6 will get re-shaped to a degree.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Never seen a hot goalie shut down players before? The sample size is gonna be looking tiny these playoffs unfortunately, but this happens a lot. Sucks we have zero depth on this team to be able to handle any hiccup at all though. We got some scoring from the top line tonight. Gotta watch our below replacement level 4th line let 2 in against the Jets 2nd line and create 1 more against with a crap penalty.
It happens but these are the moments where great players define themselves. It’s disappointing that Conor is now defined and justifiably so as a playoff choker.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It happens but these are the moments where great players define themselves. It’s disappointing that Conor is now defined and justifiably so as a playoff choker.

Doubt he will be by any but people trying to desperately create that narrative like you (and leafs fans, welcome to their club). People paying attention will clearly see the situation for what it is. A pitiful 1 line team that has a bunch of bums giving the games away. A GM that sat on his hands and threw the towel in at the deadline as well.

Last edited:

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
Lol Jesus you guys. Next stop bandwagon station.

Winnipeg went total shut down the first two games and relied on their Vezina winning goalie to win those games. In two games they only scored 3 goals. That barely wins you a game in two games.

Now does this loss suck? Frick yes. It was a big game that they lost composure when it mattered. They dominated and made that Vezina goalie look average only to get rattled and lose it. But the Oilers ARE THE BETTER TEAM but they must be the better team. I still have faith.

Reactions: winnipegger

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
the team put him in a position to put them over the top? by scoring 1 goal in the first 2 games?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Lol Jesus you guys. Next stop bandwagon station.

Winnipeg went total shut down the first two games and relied on their Vezina winning goalie to win those games. In two games they only scored 3 goals. That barely wins you a game in two games.

Now does this loss suck? Frick yes. It was a big game that they lost composure when it mattered. They dominated and made that Vezina goalie look average only to get rattled and lose it. But the Oilers ARE THE BETTER TEAM but they must be the better team. I still have faith.
The Oilers are the better team. The problem is they think they should win without putting in the effort. We filled our team with low risk off the ice players thinking it would make them easy to coach. It makes them easy to beat.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've watched thousands of hockey games in my life, likely you have as well. I have seen some unbelievable stupid plays made by players over the years. Any of us that have played hockey or sports knows that is an emotional game, and that sometimes emotions get the better of us. We are human. We understand that we will screw up at somepoint, and that at somepoint one of our teammates will screw up. Unless he's a complete douche, players move on pretty quickly, cause they've all been there before. Tom Wilson regularly puts his team in brutal situations, but he's apparently a beloved guy on the Caps. Archie's grievance will be forgotten by the players by tomorrow morning. That's how hockey players think, it's onto the next game.

Screwing up is fanning on a point shot leading to a breakaway goal against, or diving to get the puck but accidentally tripping a opposing player and giving them a PP. 99% of the things a player screws up which are forgotten about are due to lack of execution. I mean I gave Sheahan a lot of crap last year for his mistake which handed Chicago a game we were leading as well, but even his mistake was due to a lack of execution. It's something his teammates might've gotten angry at for a few days or few weeks but eventually forgotten about because it wasn't intentional. The other big ones in Oilers history, Steve Smith's own goal and MAB running into Roloson - both were accidental things that happened in a fast moving game.

What Archibald did falls into that 1% of things which are willfully and intentionally selfish. It wasn't about trying to generate momentum with a big hit when we were down in the game (like Wilson often does), or standing up for your teammates in a scrum and getting called for a extra roughing penalty (which Wilson also often does). There were 8 minutes left in a game where all Archibald had to do was play safe, clean hockey for 4-5 more shifts and the Oilers would've been back in the series. He didn't. He got tilted by a slash to his stick and went out of his way to take a stupid, selfish penalty that cost his team the series. He had time to think about what he was going to do (but evidently didn't think). It was premeditated, foolish and unnecessary.

There is a stark difference between what Archibald did and 99% of the rest of what you would call screw ups by a player. Multiple former players-turned-analysts have called him out on this play tonight, and they've been in locker rooms before and know what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. Archibald deserves all the evil eyes, cold shoulders and muted responses he's very likely getting tonight and into tomorrow - and probably for a long time to come.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Screwing up is fanning on a point shot leading to a breakaway goal against, or diving to get the puck but accidentally tripping a opposing player and giving them a PP. 99% of the things a player screws up which are forgotten about are due to lack of execution. I mean I gave Sheahan a lot of crap last year for his mistake which handed Chicago a game we were leading as well, but even his mistake was due to a lack of execution. It's something his teammates might've gotten angry at for a few days or few weeks but eventually forgotten about because it wasn't intentional. The other big ones in Oilers history, Steve Smith's own goal and MAB running into Roloson - both were accidental things that happened in a fast moving game.

What Archibald did falls into that 1% of things which are willfully and intentionally selfish. It wasn't about trying to generate momentum with a big hit when we were down in the game (like Wilson often does), or standing up for your teammates in a scrum and getting called for a extra roughing penalty (which Wilson also often does). There was 8 minutes left in a game where all Archibald had to do was play safe, clean hockey for 4-5 more shifts and the Oilers would've been back in the series. He didn't. He got tilted by a slash to his stick and went out of his way to take a stupid, selfish penalty that cost his team the series. He had time to think about what he was going to do (but evidently didn't think). It was premeditated, foolish and unnecessary.

There is a stark difference between what Archibald did and 99% of the rest of what you would call screw ups by a player. Multiple former players-turned-analysts have called him out on this play tonight, and they've been in locker rooms before and know what is and isn't acceptable behaviour. Archibald deserves all the evil eyes, cold shoulders and muted responses he's very likely getting tonight and into tomorrow - and probably for a long time to come.
Theres a difference between a lack of execution, and a selfish play to put your team on the penalty kill.

I hope Archibald doesn't dress tomorrow if hes not suspended.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Theres a difference between a lack of execution, and a selfish play to put your team on the penalty kill.

I hope he's suspended so the coach doesn't have to bench him. Regardless of the stupid play (that I would argue was caused by the refs letting things get out of hand), his head is in the right place for the playoffs. One of very few players.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Expecting our depth to break even is why we'll never win a cup.

Thankfully depth is a lot easier to swap out than star players, particularly when you have some actual cap to do so. Team could look a lot different next year, especially with the UFAs likely being walked away from

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Exactly. The former is far more easily forgotten about and forgivable by teammates, while the latter tends to stick around in your memory banks and can cause resentment amongst his teammates who DID try hard and play well for 52 minutes tonight only to see the whole thing upended by one single selfish play.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I hope he's suspended so the coach doesn't have to bench him. Regardless of the stupid play (that I would argue was caused by the refs letting things get out of hand), his head is in the right place for the playoffs. One of very few players.
Taking multiple strides to low bridge a opponent and take a stupid penalty isn't being in the right headspace for the playoffs. It should be all about the team, not satisfying your own malicious intent for revenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBandJ

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’m as rattled with Connor’s play from the 4-2 goal onward as anything else to be honest. The f***ing giveaway on the tying goal is one thing, but everything else just crumbled.

All the bad habits were back. Circling in the d zone looking for a quick break while getting perpetually buried, throwing the puck around to nowhere, not engaging in board battles, etc.

He flat out flailed and I’m stunned by it. He has not played good in any sense these playoffs and it’s a problem. We can blame the depth all we want, but the top line was getting buried as much if not worse than any line on the team down the stretch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad