Value of: Josh Anderson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I would like to keep him, but what are the value of Josh Anderson a real powerforward can put 20-25 goals, 40-50 points per season?

What your team can offer for his service?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I would like to keep him, but what value of Josh Anderson a real powerforward can put 20-25 goals, 40-50 points per season?

What your team can offer for his service?
40-50 points per season…When?
He broke 40 points, once, 3 seasons ago and only broke 30 one other time, in 2017/18. Every other season has been below 30.
5.5m AAV, for 5 more seasons, for 20+ points, is a bit high

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
If he has 1-2 years left, Florida would/could be interested but with that much term, he's not available, his family grew up loving the Habs

Reactions: egelband

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I just can’t see much value for a 35-40 point guy at 5.5 per with that much term left. He’s a guy everyone would want, but contenders just can’t afford to spend that much on him. If Montreal is blowing it up and wanted to retain 1.5 million or so I could definitely see them getting a 1st and a good prospect though

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
No way we trade him. None.

He's doing wonders for our future in Suzuki and Caufield, and is the perfect candidate to be our Captain. He's not crazy expensive, he's a Habs fan, and he appears to be happy here.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You won't get the right value with Anderson on HF boards. Signed through prime years and a type of forward that is not readily available. Most Habs fans including our management are not shopping Anderson. MSL said it himself, he wants the Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson line to stick for a long time.

Anderson is not consistent but he has different levels to this game he has proven to play at. You can clearly see the difference with him playing under MSL and with Suzuki and Caufield in recent games. And this big body that can skate and shoot the puck is a valuable asset in the playoffs.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This thread won't end well. Anderson doesn't post huge numbers, is over 22 and has a long-term contract. Fans here will see him as overpaid and over the hill and suggest the Habs buy him out.
You have to actually watch Habs games to have an idea of how much he contributes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
47 points with Columbus and on pace 43 points this year.
Its pretty obvious he has been a 35 to 45 point player the last 4 seasons when he is healthy. I never understand when people on these boards post stuff like the poster you quoted. It doesnt take much work to actually look at the body of work and also understand the player brings more than just scoring.

Defending Habs in multiple posts has me feeling kinda weird but its true physical players just arent what most HFers like. They cant be quantified in charts.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He has the skill set every team covets but he is a complete ghost production wise in the playoffs. Which is strange because you think a guy like that would be a playoff warrior.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has the skill set every team covets but he is a complete ghost production wise in the playoffs. Which is strange because you think a guy like that would be a playoff warrior.

Yzerman quote when the Blue Jackets upset them... "We had no answers for Anderson". Then you come along and look at his 3 pts in 10 games and say he is a ghost in the playoffs.

Just face it, you don't even watch him in the playoffs. You know what this reminds me of? Patch sucks in the playoffs so his value sucks. Remember those obsessive posters when the Habs were shopping Patch?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I really Like Anderson, hey may not put up 60 to 80 points but there aren't Many forwards left in the league like him. I'd take him on the leafs just depends on cost and salary going back. I'd pay a 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, kral, kerfoot and dermott. The two roster players can be traded next deadline for a few picks as well.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He's in a weird spot for most teams, he might be a little overpaid for what he brings but it's the amount of years left that most teams can't comfortably take on.
No chance he's negative value, just a difficult contract
I think this place underrates certain players values and Anderson is on of those players.
I also think he has more value to Montreal than he'd fetch in a trade

Reactions: HabsQC and Eegs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's in a weird spot for most teams, he might be a little overpaid for what he brings but it's the amount of years left that most teams can't comfortably take on.
No chance he's negative value, just a difficult contract
I think this place underrates certain players values and Anderson is on of those players.
I also think he has more value to Montreal than he'd fetch in a trade

When the cap rises in 2 or 3 years (after the NHLPA pays of their outstanding balance), That Anderson contract will age well when other contracts that are expiring will require hefty raises. Good luck getting a power forward like Anderson in 3/4 years at that cap hit.

A lot of people don't understand that if you sign someone past the flat cap years, the Agent is going to make you pay for those years with a much higher cap hit. This is basically why we gave him $5.5M for 7 years where if we settled for 4 years, it would have been less. But then he's getting more than $5.5M when the cap is $90M+

Remember this... cap was projected to be $84M - $88M (depending on escrow) before Covid came along. And now we have one more team generating revenue with new US TV deals. It's basically why Jones and Nurse got massive long term deals. The agent is not going to play nice in the 3+ years of term.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Chop off the last few years of that contract and we'd gleefully take him back yesterday. But otherwise... well, we ultimately willingly (if reluctantly) gave him away for a reason.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
No way we trade him. None.

He's doing wonders for our future in Suzuki and Caufield, and is the perfect candidate to be our Captain. He's not crazy expensive, he's a Habs fan, and he appears to be happy here.

Was pissed when the Jackets traded him to a rival team as a Rangers fan. Underrated player back with the Bluejackets.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Chop off the last few years of that contract and we'd gleefully take him back yesterday. But otherwise... well, we ultimately willingly (if reluctantly) gave him away for a reason.

It's the other way around. His $5.5M AAV is going to look very good in the back half of that contract when the cap rises significantly in 2/3 years.

Pay attention to the terms that are being awarded recently. NHL GM's who sign guys past 2/3 years are going to pay big time for those UFA years when the cap is north of $90M.

Signed from age 27-32. Prime years and people think this will not age well?

Bookmark it.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It's the other way around. His $5.5M AAV is going to look very good in the back half of that contract when the cap rises significantly in 2/3 years.

Pay attention to the terms that are being awarded recently. NHL GM's who sign guys past 2/3 years are going to pay big time for those UFA years when the cap is north of $90M.

Signed from age 27-32. Prime years and people think this will not age well?

Bookmark it.
Does he still have troubles with the same shoulder?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Was pissed when the Jackets traded him to a rival team as a Rangers fan. Underrated player back with the Bluejackets.

People are stat checking too much. Anderson is rare to acquire and the Habs got lucky with being able to trade Domi and a 3rd for the injured Anderson. I didn't expect Domi to fall off a cliff like that (bet you the Blue Jackets didn't as well) but I knew what we were getting with Anderson and it's much deeper than points.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
One of those players that passes the eye test, he's very noticeable on the ice, he just doesn't translate it into a lot of points. Probably a little overpaid, but a guy most teams would take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad