Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
He+ Sammy will make a nice tandem next year
This playoffs

1679879340213.png

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been crushing it all year. Stats wise:

Marlies this year:
- Woll: 16-2-1 record, .930 sv%, 2.29 GAA
- Everyone else: 24-17-4 record, .896 sv%, 3.07 GAA

Leafs this year:
- Woll: 3-1-0 record, .934 sv%, 2.03 GAA
- Everyone else: 41-19-9 record, .908 sv%, 2.66 GAA

Obviously the Leafs sample size is small, but he's looked great by the eye test, and his AHL dominance suggests it could be legit, not luck. We've got 9 games left, and we're locked in to a 1st round matchup vs. Tampa, if there's ever a time to "see what we've got", it's now IMO. If I'm Keefe, I give Woll 5 of those 9 starts. If he continues to play great, Sammy/Woll is our playoff tandem, Murray because the 3rd string. If Woll falters, no biggie, go with Sammy/Murray. But I hope we don't go Murray over Woll just because Murray has more experience - if we give Woll a shot and he significantly outperforms Murray, then he gives us a better chance to win in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Marlies this year:

Leafs this year:

Obviously the Leafs sample size is small, but he's looked great by the eye test, and his AHL dominance suggests it could be legit, not luck. We've got 9 games left, and we're locked in to a 1st round matchup vs. Tampa, if there's ever a time to "see what we've got", it's now IMO. If I'm Keefe, I give Woll 5 of those 9 starts. If he continues to play great, Sammy/Woll is our playoff tandem, Murray because the 3rd string. If Woll falters, no biggie, go with Sammy/Murray. But I hope we don't go Murray over Woll just because Murray has more experience - if we give Woll a shot and he significantly outperforms Murray, then he gives us a better chance to win in the playoffs.
I'd think long and hard about this, worth considering IMO.

Maybe the risk is that it's a shot across the bow of Murray and might ruin his confidence. But then again, it might be a risk worth taking. Murray's had all season to prove he's ready and he hasn't proven it yet so ...

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Theres been a lot of goalies in the past that show up late, and continue to do well into the playoffs.

Whos the say it can't be us this time? Not sure why they seem so hesitant to give him more games...

Reactions: ponder

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON

Marlies this year:

Leafs this year:

I almost totally agree with you except for the amount of games for Woll . . . it gets real tricky.

I already have disagreed with how many times they've FORCED Murray into the crease when it wasn't substantiated by performance at all . . . whereas they've played Samsonov very tight to his actual performance. Murray playing 3 out of the last 5 games (and obviously Samsonov's lone game in that stretch wasn't great) is simply too much in my opinion, and should be evenly divided with Woll for the last 9 games.

So, out of the last 9, if all 3 goalies play well, it's 3 games each (highly unlikely);
What's likelier is Samsonov has to get back in soon and hopefully plays decent . . . (starts Wed if healthy)
back to back Sat/Sun goes Woll/Samsonov.
Then you reevaluate, and games are dispersed accordingly . . . maybe Murray next vs Columbus; Put Samsonov in against the Bruins; Woll or Murray in against the Habs (whoever played better last two games); then one of Woll/Murray against Florida, then you have to put in Samsonov against TB for that playoff appetizer; then whoever your backup is going to be between Woll/Murray.

IF the Leafs were to manage that properly, I'd guess it's then
4 games Samsonov
3 games Woll
2 games Murray

Reactions: ITM

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I really can't tell how good his high glove is yet, but I have been very impressed with his low glove saves, and related to that his ability to track the puck with screens. Also his lateral crease movement when tracking the puck his very precise. His movement in the crease reminds me of Freddy Andersen a little bit.

I would love to see the Leafs roll with Sam/Woll tandem next year. Long term I think Woll is poised to be the #1.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I really can't tell how good his high glove is yet, but I have been very impressed with his low glove saves, and related to that his ability to track the puck with screens. Also his lateral crease movement when tracking the puck his very precise. His movement in the crease reminds me of Freddy Andersen a little bit.

I would love to see the Leafs roll with Sam/Woll tandem next year. Long term I think Woll is poised to be the #1.
He's much much more athletic than Andersen. Woll has a very athletic stance and he crouches a lot to make saves allowing him to absorb pucks instead of rebounds.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Gotta give big props to the job Sanford has done with our goalies this year. Especially Woll. Guy has taken a massive step forward in development.

Reactions: saltming

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Guaranteed Murray will be gone next season thanks to Woll he has taken over.

Hopefully he just goes to Robidas island instead of us having to unload 6 million in a trade.

I am very confident going into these playoffs/next season with Sami and Woll in net.

Nice to finally have a good home grown developed goalie in net.

Reactions: Dog and Anthrax442

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad