Player Discussion Jordan Harris part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree, anything he gives the Habs beyond this point is a gigantic win.
He will most definitely get better defensively. The thing I liked about Arber was his ability to get the puck to the net from just about anywhere. He scored a couple of goals last season that none of our other D would have even tried.

Reactions: Tyson and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He will most definitely get better defensively. The thing I liked about Arber was his ability to get the puck to the net from just about anywhere. He scored a couple of goals last season that none of our other D would have even tried.
Yup, that incredibly valuable and one of the main reason Harris will never amount to anything much, lol.

Reactions: Tyson and Rapala

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Harris is just like Kulak, a vanilla stop gap. You cant have him in the top 4 and expect to come out on top.
You underestimate him. Yes he is in his best as 5 or 6 defender but top 4 is also possible for him

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Will be interesting to watch Harris’ game this season - IMO there is potential Mark Giordano type trajectory, but that would require a significant uptick followed by continued growth

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Will be interesting to watch Harris’ game this season - IMO there is potential Mark Giordano type trajectory, but that would require a significant uptick followed by continued growth
He will also need more ice time and would need PP time to really shine..
Unfortunately don't think he gets these in MTL , the rebuild timing didn't work out great for him sadly

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That would be awesome but that is asking a lot I don't think his ceiling is that high. I don't see that level of goal scoring like at all.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That would be awesome but that is asking a lot I don't think his ceiling is that high. I don't see that level of goal scoring like at all.
Giordano wasn’t drafted, didn’t stand out with size/wasn’t big, didn’t have a particularly hard shot, skated well (not elite) and had elite leadership, work ethic & internal drive qualities which allowed him to progress very rapidly from ages 22.5 (NHL regular spot) - 26 (moving into regular top-4 role), w continued linear progression then became a top pairing Dman / Norris trophy

Probability most likely results in Harris ending up a better skating Gorges 3rd pair type, but there’s still a chance of greater things based on following a similar linear progression path to Giordano

Habs desperately lack a PP QB, IF Harris can somehow show vision & IQ with a man advantage that might end up being the catalyst & open up aperture for greater achievement

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Giordano wasn’t drafted, didn’t stand out with size/wasn’t big, didn’t have a particularly hard shot, skated well (not elite) and had elite leadership, work ethic & internal drive qualities which allowed him to progress very rapidly from ages 22.5 (NHL regular spot) - 26 (moving into top-4 role)
I absolutely get the comparaison except for the shot. Giordano has and started with a much better shot than Harris. It is actually one of the things I've mentionned more than once in this thread I hope Harris works on getting a heavy wrist shot at the very least. His shot was pretty much muffin status last season.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I absolutely get the comparaison except for the shot. Giordano has and started with a much better shot than Harris. It is actually one of the things I've mentionned more than once in this thread I hope Harris works on getting a heavy wrist shot at the very least. His shot was pretty much muffin status last season.
Times have changed, reliance of a PP slap shot is at an all time low, it’s all about puck distribution capability and quick / accurate release. Rarely see anymore setting up a slap shot PP strategy anymore

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Times have changed, reliance of a PP slap shot is at an all time low, it’s all about puck distribution capability and quick / accurate release. Rarely see anymore setting up a slap shot PP strategy anymore
I'm not sure what that has to do with Harris who doesn't play PP? :huh: Any type of decent shot would help him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm not sure what that has to do with Harris who doesn't play PP? :huh: Any type of decent shot would help him.
That’s my point Harris QBd the PP for Northeastern without benefit of a particularly hard shot, it’s an aspect of his game that’s been proven for a number of years albeit at a lower level

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That’s my point Harris QBd the PP for Northeastern without benefit of a particularly hard shot, it’s an aspect of his game that’s been proven for a number of years albeit at a lower level
Sure but Northeastern is not the NHL and to be fair his numbers were not off the charts either. He's no Lane Hutson.

Reactions: salbutera

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The reason for that is that teams are taking away the shooting lane from big shooters. If a PP QB does not have a good shot the opposition will cheat on the passing lanes so it is still important to at least have the threat of a big shot to keep your opponent honest.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Gotta say I think this is the player I expected to take the biggest step forward this year and he's struggled each game he's been given extra ice time. He's not playing as intelligently as he did last year, maybe the team wants him to show more offensively or something.

Barron has quietly taken his spot in the top 4 with Savard out.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Gotta say I think this is the player I expected to take the biggest step forward this year and he's struggled each game he's been given extra ice time. He's not playing as intelligently as he did last year, maybe the team wants him to show more offensively or something.

Harris is still our most intelligent D and he reads the play really well. Some great sequences tonight, his elite skating and IQ stands out in the neutral and defensive zone. I was impressed actually... He can hold his own and defend against some of the best.

The ozone is where is muffin shot and lower level creativity makes him a boring undersized D. I also think that's why he's expendable with our LHD depth.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Harris is still our most intelligent D and he reads the play really well. Some great sequences tonight, his elite skating and IQ stands out in the neutral and defensive zone. I was impressed actually... He can hold his own and defend against some of the best.

The ozone is where is muffin shot and lower level creativity makes him a boring undersized D. I also think that's why he's expendable with our LHD depth.
Guhle is probably higher IQ, but otherwise I agree with you 100%.

He's the opposite of Anderson, great toolbox, limited tools.

Barron always had higher upside, he's just a very slow starter every year, and prone to stupid mistakes defensively. Lots to learn still.

Reactions: Destopcorner

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm really hoping Barron can keep improving. There may always be some warts we'll have to live with. But, the good may far outweigh the bad.

It's as always nice to have dmen that can skate the puck out of danger and up the ice for a counter attack. We may have 4 of them long term: Guhle, Reinbacher, Matheson, and Barron.

Reactions: Ezpz

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Harris has been more noticeable with the puck lately, he's looking more and more comfortable making plays. He'll probably never be an offensive juggernaut, but with his skating he's capable of more than just the meat and potato stuff.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Harris has been more noticeable with the puck lately, he's looking more and more comfortable making plays. He'll probably never be an offensive juggernaut, but with his skating he's capable of more than just the meat and potato stuff.
I think my issue is he has been facing more issues against physical teams this year. I was hoping the summer would give him time to do some strength training or watch how other similarly built players deal with this issue. Harris is undoubtedly smart which is why he's in the NHL, I just hope it doesn't end up like Mete where he peaks in his rookie season. Still a long season to go so I am expecting more.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think my issue is he has been facing more issues against physical teams this year. I was hoping the summer would give him time to do some strength training or watch how other similarly built players deal with this issue. Harris is undoubtedly smart which is why he's in the NHL, I just hope it doesn't end up like Mete where he peaks in his rookie season. Still a long season to go so I am expecting more.
It's a concern, for sure. You won't last long in the league as a small third pairing guy if you don't bring something a bit above average to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad