Value of: Jordan Binnington

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Joel Hofer has come in and has literally stole the show.

If he continues to prove to be a true number 1, what value does JB have around the NHL?

Curios on you all as outsiders take on this!

Thanks, have a great weekend!

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Binnington has negative value right now. Teams aren't lining up for a $6M sub-.900 goalie for 4 more years. Especially one that is a headcase way too often.

Blues did the right thing by bridging him after the Cup win only to f*** up and give him a big extension anyway after playing pretty underwhelming during his bridge

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's not much value in a mediocre goalie that's just had two straight poor seasons and is signed for 4 more years at $6 million.

You can argue it's not his fault all you want, but Blues goaltenders in the last two years not named Binnington have performed MUCH better than Binnington has. The only argument against it is that the sample size of non-Binnington games isn't as large as the sample size of Binnington played games, but it's still pretty significant. I don't actually Thomas Greiss would perform better than Binnington if he played as many games, but only because Thomas Greiss is old and washed up.

Binnington's last 2 seasons = .896% in 89 games

Blues non-Binnington goalies in the last 2 seasons = .913% in 73 games. Still a pretty significant sample size. Feel free to correct me on those non-Binnington Blues goalies numbers. I ran those numbers on my own. I didn't think it would be quite that high, but a lot of that is Husso having what might go down as a career year last season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably not very good, there's a finite amount of teams that are looking for a #1 goalie and not all of those could handle a 4 x 6 mil AAV. Ballpark depth charts:

ANA: Gibson | Dostal?
CGY: Markstrom | Vladar
EDM: Campbell | Skinner
LAK: tbd | Petersen
SEA: Grubauer | Driedger
SJS: tbd | Kahkonen
VAN: Demko | Martin
VGK: Lehner* | Thompson

ARZ: Vejmelka | Ingram | Prosvetov
CHI: Mrazek | tbd
COL: Georgiev | Francouz
DAL: Oettinger | Wedgewood
MIN: Fleury | Gustavsson
NSH: Saros | Lankinen
STL: Binnington | Hofer?
WPG: Hellebucyk | Rittich

BOS: Ullmark | Swayman
BUF: Comrie | Luukkonen?
DET: Husso | tbd
FLO: Bobrovsky | Knight
MON: Price* | Allen | Montembeault
OTT: tbd | Forsberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy | tbd
TOR: Murray | Samsonov

CAR: tbd | Kochetkov
CLB: Merzlikins | Tarasov
NJD: Vanecek | Blackwood | Schmid
NYI: Sorokin | tbd
NYR: Shesterkin | tbd
PHI: Hart | Ersson | Sandstrom
PIT: tbd | DeSmith
WSH: Kuemper | Lindgren

UFA: Jarry|Andersen|Korpisalo|Raanta|Hill|Varlamov|Stolarz|Talbot|Jones|Quick|Reimer|Greiss|Halak|Nedeljkovic|Hellberg|Delia|Broissoit|Elliott|Stalock|Khudobin|Anderson|Bernier

Imagine most of the highlighted teams would opt for free agency before looking at Binnington. Blues might have to take back a bad contract for a team to be interested.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well lets see, over the last 3 season there have been 60 goalies to play at least 50 games. Among those Binnington ranks:

GAA - 46th
SV% - 51st
GSAA - 57th
HDGAA - 51st
HDSV% - 55th
HDGSAA - 52nd

He's also owed $2 million more in real money than his actual cap hit. Throw in his immature antics and I can't see anyone giving up anything of value for him.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd say right now the Blues won't do something that foolish, but I'll play the game as it would be painful to get rid of him at this stage.

Binnington, a 2024 1st, and Snuggerud

for

Cap Dump with similar term, a 4th, and a B prospect

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Honestly, his antics will hurt his value in any trade or free agency once he gets there. Many teams do not want to deal with a clown show like that

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
He's not tradeable at this point unless the Blues are sending value with him. Stats are too bad, his backups look better for the most part, too high of a cap hit, too many years left on his contract, and his antics don't make him an attractive trade target. At this point the Blues' best option is to got forward with Hofer on a low paying contract and Binnington for the next couple of seasons and hope Binner rehabs his value. If Hofer is legit then you're still getting a starter and a backup for under 10 million. I love Binner for 2019 - he's the reason both my parents finally got to see this team win a cup - but this is the reality of his value right now.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
It’s weird how Blues fans are generally happy with him and it’s all fans of other teams coming in to tell us how terrible he is. Weird how that works. You’d think this guy took his skate off and tried cutting someone with how much hate he gets.

Reactions: blueswede22

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
As a player or a person? He's a clown in both settings...guy REALLY believes his own hype.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I hate using the term negative value because there's always basement teams looking for goaltending, or contenders who feel goaltending is their biggest weak-link, but Binnington has been awful and is signed for way too long. His rookie season was impressive but since then he been very inconsistent and his numbers are just too poor for anything of real value coming back. On top of that he's got a bit of a reputation now.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Already covered this in the Hofer signing thread but to reiterate dealing Binnington at this juncture would be unwise. I'd be happy keeping him in a tandem with Hofer where they split games somewhat evenly. Part of Binners subpar numbers are a result of treating him like some league leading starter in games played when he isn't capable of that workload.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The closest thing I could think of recently would be Mrazek, who has equal awful numbers. He was dealt by Toronto along with a 1st for a 2nd rounder. Toronto basically moved back 13 spots in the draft to dump Mrazek. The difference here though is Mrazek had 2yrs left at $3.8 million, while Binnington is 4 more years at $6 million.

To get any value out of Binnington, STL likely needs to retain some money and take back another bad contract.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I hope the sharks trade for him next year so I can witness him blow up 82 games a year when the defense stands around watching him give up 5-7 a night.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
They let Husso walk last year...there's no way they're replacing Binnington with Hofer. Although now that they've gutted the team, maybe they'll finally try to move Binnington.

Binnington plays best under high pressure situations, and I doubt the Blues will be having any of those any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad