Speculation: Jordan Binnington to Toronto?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Berube got introduced yesterday and he talked about 2 things.

#1 he said he never wants Toronto to get out worked.

#2 when asked about the goaltending he said that, that was a discussion he had to have with Brad and Shanny, not exactly a ringing endorsement to Woll, and why would it be? As talented as he is, and he is, and he is, he's also hurt a lot.

After the Press conference on the Jeff Merak show, Jeff, who is pretty connected came out and linked Jordan Binnington to Toronto, saying he's the guy that Berube won with, so the Leafs could look to bring him to Toronto especially with Joel Hoffer being there now and looking to take over from Binnington just like Binnington took over from Allen.

Binner isn't my first choice, that's Saros, but it makes a lot of sense, The Leafs do need at least 1 goalie, Berube knows Binner, he won with him.

There was talk the deadline that Binnington was available, in fact that's been out there for at least couple years now.

I would be all for it, while I would prefer Saros Binner is a massive upgrade too and given how much this team scores at least during the regular season if Binnington could be average this team would set themselves nicely come playoff time.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Do NOT want Saros. Binner maybe slightly more. Neither excite me.

Leafs are not the winning the cup with 16/91’s cap hits. I hope they address defense and 2C. Give Woll another shot. Can’t fix everything in one year.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd take Binnington over Sarov 100 out of 100 times. a proven winner, who isnt under 6' tall
the only goalie I'd consider from Nashville is Askarov.
however, it will depends on the asking price, and Binnington isnt cheap and wouldnt be easy for the Leafs to fit 'and' get 2 'quality' UFA d-men to play in front of him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Berube got introduced yesterday and he talked about 2 things.

#1 he said he never wants Toronto to get out worked.

#2 when asked about the goaltending he said that, that was a discussion he had to have with Brad and Shanny, not exactly a ringing endorsement to Woll, and why would it be? As talented as he is, and he is, and he is, he's also hurt a lot.

After the Press conference on the Jeff Merak show, Jeff, who is pretty connected came out and linked Jordan Binnington to Toronto, saying he's the guy that Berube won with, so the Leafs could look to bring him to Toronto especially with Joel Hoffer being there now and looking to take over from Binnington just like Binnington took over from Allen.

Binner isn't my first choice, that's Saros, but it makes a lot of sense, The Leafs do need at least 1 goalie, Berube knows Binner, he won with him.

There was talk the deadline that Binnington was available, in fact that's been out there for at least couple years now.

I would be all for it, while I would prefer Saros Binner is a massive upgrade too and given how much this team scores at least during the regular season if Binnington could be average this team would set themselves nicely come playoff time.

Re: #2 that was an idiotic question by the Toronto media, to ask a new coach - no surprise there, it was probably Simmons or Feschuk.

We're talking before free agency had even started and five months before the start of the next season. Berube has no say on who the starter is going to be - like he said it's up to GM Treliving primarily.

Woll's still going to be in the picture, although his inability to stay healthy is more a detriment to his future than anything Berube said yesterday.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Re: #2 that was an idiotic question by the Toronto media, to ask a new coach - no surprise there, it was probably Simmons or Feschuk.

We're talking before free agency had even started and five months before the start of the next season. Berube has no say on who the starter is going to be - like he said it's up to GM Treliving primarily.

Woll's still going to be in the picture, although his inability to stay healthy is more a detriment to his future than anything Berube said yesterday.

It was Simmons.

To say Berube has no say over who the starter is going to be isn't true not when he's got a 4 year contract believed to be 20 million.

At 5 million per year he's got say on the #1 goalie is.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m not sure St Louis is ready to make that kind of move. Hofer was great last year. But not sure he’s ready to be the guy yet. Also think Binner is very close to a franchise record. In a time where we’re outwardly committing to it probably being a down year, that may be something the front office wants to do on to.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leafs should knock on the door about S Knight. Panthers do have cap issues to sort out this summer and looks like they are very happy with Bob.

Knight is on LTIR with the player assistance program and not sure what kind of value he has these days? If the price is right for the Leafs, I can see this as a possibility.

Knight, Woll, and go get another "Jones" type attempt for depth. I never did like Samsonov's potential. Knight could rebound into a starter.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It was Simmons.

To say Berube has no say over who the starter is going to be isn't true not when he's got a 4 year contract believed to be 20 million.

At 5 million per year he's got say on the #1 goalie is.

Sure, I mean once the team is finalized and the regular season kicks off he can make that decision.

But why ask the question now, when Samsonov hasn't even officially left yet? Berube has no idea which options he'll have - again, that's on Treliving to figure out and arrange, and even then it likely won't be until at least the NHL draft, or July 1st.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sure, I mean once the team is finalized and the regular season kicks off he can make that decision.

But why ask the question now, when Samsonov hasn't even officially left yet? Berube has no idea which options he'll have - again, that's on Treliving to figure out and arrange, and even then it likely won't be until at least the NHL draft, or July 1st.

Again I think Berube is going to have Some say, I think if Berube says he wants Binnington, I think Treliving tries to make that happen especially given that's the guy his coach won with.

When you are a coach as high profile as Berube you are going to have say in personnel decisions.

Leafs should knock on the door about S Knight. Panthers do have cap issues to sort out this summer and looks like they are very happy with Bob.

Knight is on LTIR with the player assistance program and not sure what kind of value he has these days? If the price is right for the Leafs, I can see this as a possibility.

Knight, Woll, and go get another "Jones" type attempt for depth. I never did like Samsonov's potential. Knight could rebound into a starter.

Knight is not mentally strong enough for Toronto

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Do NOT want Saros. Binner maybe slightly more. Neither excite me.

Leafs are not the winning the cup with 16/91’s cap hits. I hope they address defense and 2C. Give Woll another shot. Can’t fix everything in one year.

You can't give Woll another shot he's to fragile that's the ENTIRE problem.

It's not talent it's health, and way he he gets injured.

He missed 3 months because he got hurt on MUFFIN shot.

and then he took himself out of game 7 by trying to make a save on a shot he literally didn't need to.

He's to injury prone

Reactions: BM14

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is pretty obvious. Binnington is a playoff nails goalie and Toronto needs one of those. The idea if the Leafs fans being like, well maybe we would take him, lol.

Of course you would take him, he is the difference between you not advancing and advancing. I suspect you want to advance?

He is 6 wins away from being the Blues all time wins leader and the Blues aren't ready to hand things over to Hofer (I personally want Binnington to retire a Blue after another contract). The Blues are also determined to try to compete to make the playoffs and not bottom out. (In fairness to the Blues' thinking on this is that they may have utterly crushed the 2023 draft and will be back involved in playoffs soon.) Trading Binnington would be an immediate end to that, they would plunge. It's just not the ownership's philosophy.

Therefore, the price to make it happen is going to be large. Large enough, number one, where it makes discussing it here not worth it, especially since we couldn't even agree that you need him, and then number two where we wouldn't agree on price and it would just be dissing him as a person and all that.

Toronto objectively needing him is not enough to incentivize a predictably dismal discussion.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
You can't give Woll another shot he's to fragile that's the ENTIRE problem.

It's not talent it's health, and way he he gets injured.

He missed 3 months because he got hurt on MUFFIN shot.

and then he took himself out of game 7 by trying to make a save on a shot he literally didn't need to.

He's to injury prone
You also can’t expect the team to:

Acquire a 2D, 4D, 5D
Acquire a 2C or 3C
Acquire a 1A goalie

All while dealing with potential re-signings in Domi, Bertuzzi and figuring out what to do with Marner and JT.

It’s not all gonna happen, I personally think next year is a mini reset year where they make the playoffs still, but will have holes in the line up.

Then really load up the following year. Just my opinion…

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You also can’t expect the team to:

Acquire a 2D, 4D, 5D
Acquire a 2C or 3C
Acquire a 1A goalie

All while dealing with potential re-signings in Domi, Bertuzzi and figuring out what to do with Marner and JT.

It’s not all gonna happen, I personally think next year is a mini reset year where they make the playoffs still, but will have holes in the line up.

Then really load up the following year. Just my opinion…

You NEED the goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad