Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Needed a couple more saves that’s for sure. At least two of those were on the goalie.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Kastelic was the sweetener but should have gotten another pick.
A fourth liner, even a good one, doesn’t offset taking on that terrible contract. Should have been more like a mid first round pick and B prospect to help even it out.

And then, following this line of thinking, I guess we are saying the 25th pick in a draft where picks 20 to 50 were about equally weighted is fair compensation for an elite in-his-prime recent Vezina winner with a $5M AAV. I would call that massive underpayment.

I didn't find much to blame with Korpi last night. He made some great saves, including breakways shots, and he looked like a solid NHL goaltender. No goalie was going to look good with that shitshow in front of them, not even our 8.25 million dollar man.
Expected goals was 5.37, hr let in six. So he stopped the ones he should, but didn’t steal any away. Fine, but that’s not the type of guy you commit 4 years at $3M to.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
pretty easy buy out numbers next season, not a big deal
Eye of the beholder, I guess, but you are looking at an average (it fluctuates, of course) cap hit at a little over $1M per year through 2031 if you buyout in the next opportunity.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Expected goals was 5.37, hr let in six. So he stopped the ones he should, but didn’t steal any away. Fine, but that’s not the type of guy you commit 4 years at $3M to.
I actually don't give a flip if Korpi gets 3m or 2m, or 1.5m AAV. That has f***all to do with his performance last night. He stopped what he should have. Isn't that pretty much a goaltender's job description? I bet you could take the best goaltender that ever played and find a game where he didn't steal any. I'll even go so far as to say that if you are needing your goalie to steal ones on a nightly basis, then your team has much larger problems than slightly overpaying a backup tender.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He definitely needs to work on rebound control but otherwise I thought he did all right.

I'd give a lot to know what he thinks about the way his teammates didn't respond to Bennett knocking him over. For a minute I thought he had been injured.

Reactions: HustleB

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He definitely needs to work on rebound control but otherwise I thought he did all right.

I'd give a lot to know what he thinks about the way his teammates didn't respond to Bennett knocking him over. For a minute I thought he had been injured.
Agreed. Really tough (and unfair) to accurately assess goaltending when your defensive effort was a complete dumpster fire... I don't think he was any worse than Bobrovsky was, to be honest. He just had a lot more higher danger shots to deal with.
\
Don't get me wrong, there's definitely room for improvement though..

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

His teammates didn't respond? Lohrei speared Bennett and then a whole ruckus set off. What "response" were you looking for?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The rebound control was certainly worrisome. You wonder if that can improve as he learns to read the play in the system better? Not exactly the easiest first assignment and the team made it worse.

Certainly willing to give it at least a few weeks and even half the season before getting out the pitchfork.

But after last night I certainly went to the garage to make sure my pitchfork was in good working order.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I actually don't give a flip if Korpi gets 3m or 2m, or 1.5m AAV. That has f***all to do with his performance last night. He stopped what he should have. Isn't that pretty much a goaltender's job description? I bet you could take the best goaltender that ever played and find a game where he didn't steal any. I'll even go so far as to say that if you are needing your goalie to steal ones on a nightly basis, then your team has much larger problems than slightly overpaying a backup tender.
This is a scientific fact.
The rebound control was certainly worrisome. You wonder if that can improve as he learns to read the play in the system better? Not exactly the easiest first assignment and the team made it worse.

Certainly willing to give it at least a few weeks and even half the season before getting out the pitchfork.

But after last night I certainly went to the garage to make sure my pitchfork was in good working order.
good thing you still have a pitch fork. Pitchforks were completely sold out by noon today.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He's the backup so don't want to pile on too much but man his rebound control was atrocious. And you really can't give up goals 3 and 4 there, they got back in the game and he gave up 2 back breakers

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
The whole team looked bad last night, so hard to put too much stock in that performance from Korpi. The defense will tighten up, and he'll have more time with coach Essenza to work on his game, so I'm still optimistic he can be something here.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He let up a few more than he should have. His rebound control was awful last night and that third goal should have been an easy save.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A fourth liner, even a good one, doesn’t offset taking on that terrible contract. Should have been more like a mid first round pick and B prospect to help even it out.

And then, following this line of thinking, I guess we are saying the 25th pick in a draft where picks 20 to 50 were about equally weighted is fair compensation for an elite in-his-prime recent Vezina winner with a $5M AAV. I would call that massive underpayment.

Just like it should not be committing 7 years at nearly 8mil for a third line center.

• Haha
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Does it though? He hasn't even played a game for them. They gave up a lot in $ on top of what they had to give up in the trade.

The one redeeming aspect of last night for Korpisalo is that the performance in front of him probably felt a lot like last season in Ottawa.
It does. A signed Ullmark is worth more than we got by a fair bit.

It is what it is, but he signed with them before the season even started. The trade is for a signed 2023 Vezina winner, not a UFA 2023 Vezina winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad