Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can someone point me in the direction of the Jonathan Lekkerimaki thread please.
SophisticatedCautiousIndianrhinoceros-max-1mb.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is Lekkerimaki that least talked about 1st round pick in recent memory? I think there were more discussion about Pods than Lekkerimaki.

Reactions: Nick Lang and bh53

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Is Lekkerimaki that least talked about 1st round pick in recent memory? I think there were more discussion about Pods than Lekkerimaki.
Possibly. There isn't much to talk about. He had a bad regular season with a good playoffs, and the debate whether or not he'll be a disappointment has been had. When he plays games again it will pick up. I think he's going to have a much better season this year going off how he finished off the year playing highly engaged hockey in all zones and with how freakish his release is, but he's still a few years out from being with the big club because he is so slight.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m hoping Samuelsson takes Lekker under his wings and makes a pro out of him. While I certainly wasn’t a fan of this pick (really wanted Bischel or Pickering), I can certainly see the logic behind it.

I do think D Petey was the bigger catch though in that draft. Everything about him just screams future top 4 defenseman.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Who goes 1st overall in a redraft? Cooley?

would think so, yea

followed by nemec and jiricek?

feels like slafovsky is barely even talked about as the 1st overall - between his sub-par season and non-stop bedard/upcoming draft talk, he was barely on the radar compared to what would be typically expected of a habs drafted 1st overall.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
would think so, yea

feels like slafovsky is barely even talked about as the 1st overall - between his sub-par season and non-stop bedard/upcoming draft talk, he was barely on the radar compared to what would be typically expected of a habs drafted 1st overall.
Definitely Cooley. Still a crapshoot over who goes next and in what order. Bystedt and Kulich climb. It was a weird draft then and it's still a weird draft.
I was thinking that Mintyukov would go top 5 for sure (88 points in 69 games in the OHL is pretty impressive). Not sure where though.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It was a really really bad draft.

1. It was a really bad draft.
2. Our guy hasn't done that well which always limits discussion to some extent.
3. He played in a harder-to-follow Euro league last season.

Who goes 1st overall in a redraft? Cooley?

would think so, yea

Definitely Cooley. Still a crapshoot over who goes next and in what order. Bystedt and Kulich climb. It was a weird draft then and it's still a weird draft.

I was commenting a few months back about how incredibly flat the 2022 top-10 is.

Cooley might have eked into #1 and Savoie is probably #10 but for the most part you could just throw those 10 guys on a wall in any order and it wouldn't be terribly out-of-line. I can't remember a top-10 ever quite like this.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I was commenting a few months back about how incredibly flat the 2022 top-10 is.

Cooley might have eked into #1 and Savoie is probably #10 but for the most part you could just throw those 10 guys on a wall in any order and it wouldn't be terribly out-of-line. I can't remember a top-10 ever quite like this.

Rutger McGroarty and Cutter Gauthier are the same person. Pretty much every player is interchangable with someone else. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple players from the later rounds randomly become Hall of Famers.

Reactions: MS

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

It’s looking pretty flat after the top 10 to the end of the first round as well. If anything the best D+1 years in that range are in the 20s( Snuggerud, Bystedt, Kulich). It’s looking San Jose made an excellent decision trading back and getting a couple of second rounders.

Reactions: Vector and MS

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It’s looking pretty flat after the top 10 to the end of the first round as well. If anything the best D+1 years in that range are in the 20s( Snuggerud, Bystedt, Kulich). It’s looking San Jose made an excellent decision trading back and getting a couple of second rounders.

saying this a bit in hindsight, because it wasn't a "prediction", but i did think at the time that moving back from the 1st would make sense - the 2022 draft had kids that missed huge portions of their two most important development years. getting multiple shots at a group of players with a lot of question marks (but probably similar collective upside to any other year) is looking like it was a good play. at the time i was arguing from a pick value perspective that it seemed like the right move to diversify, and while the argument could go either way depending on the draft, in hindsight, this would've been a good year for it.

feels like it makes also sense that the draft would be wacky for an age group where scouts were going off of limited in-person viewings (if at all) and smaller sample sizes of games across the board.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Possibly. There isn't much to talk about. He had a bad regular season with a good playoffs, and the debate whether or not he'll be a disappointment has been had. When he plays games again it will pick up. I think he's going to have a much better season this year going off how he finished off the year playing highly engaged hockey in all zones and with how freakish his release is, but he's still a few years out from being with the big club because he is so slight.

He's also just kind of the least interesting type of prospect to talk about.

Like with the Podkolzin example, there's plenty to talk about around his size, is he going to be a power forward? Will he develop the scoring touch in the NHL? Does he bring enough to find a home in the show if the offence doesn't pan out? etc.

With basically any type of a defenseman, there's all sorts of stuff to talk about: Will the offensive game translate? Is he good enough in his own end to make it? Does he exhibit the puck skills to keep moving up levels? Do we really want to have the "he's a great #5/6 in the WHL so he'll be a great #5/6 in the NHL" argument again (yes. The answer is always yes, we want to have that argument again. What did we do to deserve this? I don't know, but I know the answer will be yes.)? And on, and on.

With an undersized scoring winger it's basically just he either does the thing or he doesn't do the thing. If he's doing the thing, then it's "okay, good. He's doing the thing. Hopefully the thing keeps being done as he moves up. I can't wait for him to do the thing in the NHL." If he's not doing the thing, it's "okay darn, he's not doing the thing. I hope he's able to start doing the thing again soon."

This isn't any type of a slight on Lekkerimaki, but just that as a type of player he's kind of the most straightforward, conversation-wise.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Kulich probably goes top 10

But yeah, just an overall terrible draft year from top to bottom

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Idk about terrible....lacked top line players in the lottery selections and a lot of small skilled 2nd line type wingers but looks normal after the 1st round and surely will have some surprises. 2017 started out that way yet has delivered a fair amount of studs

Jiricek would have been my top pick. My bold prediction before the draft was Mintyukov and Kulich would end up as top5 players. How the F Kulich fell to almost the 2nd round was astonishing.

Lekkerimaki needs to add a lot of muscle over the next 3-4 yrs

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
He's also just kind of the least interesting type of prospect to talk about.

Like with the Podkolzin example, there's plenty to talk about around his size, is he going to be a power forward? Will he develop the scoring touch in the NHL? Does he bring enough to find a home in the show if the offence doesn't pan out? etc.

With basically any type of a defenseman, there's all sorts of stuff to talk about: Will the offensive game translate? Is he good enough in his own end to make it? Does he exhibit the puck skills to keep moving up levels? Do we really want to have the "he's a great #5/6 in the WHL so he'll be a great #5/6 in the NHL" argument again (yes. The answer is always yes, we want to have that argument again. What did we do to deserve this? I don't know, but I know the answer will be yes.)? And on, and on.

With an undersized scoring winger it's basically just he either does the thing or he doesn't do the thing. If he's doing the thing, then it's "okay, good. He's doing the thing. Hopefully the thing keeps being done as he moves up. I can't wait for him to do the thing in the NHL." If he's not doing the thing, it's "okay darn, he's not doing the thing. I hope he's able to start doing the thing again soon."

This isn't any type of a slight on Lekkerimaki, but just that as a type of player he's kind of the most straightforward, conversation-wise.
This is pretty fair tbh lol. I mean, we could TRY to make it interesting. I am actually pretty high on Lekkerimaki, his release is pretty unreal, and if he rounds out his game and eventually cracks the roster--for the sake of making it interesting--I will be bold and say it will be between him and Pettersson for who has the best shot on the team.

Anyone have a good comparable for Lekk's release? I don't think we have a shooter on the Canucks right now who has as deceptive and as quick a release as does Lekk. Pettersson obviously has an elite shot with otherworldly accuracy and power, along with a very whippy release he can pull to change angles on, but I do think Lekk's release is more deceptive. Petey's release is very fluid through his whole body, and his body mechanics are like an instructional video of how to shoot with a whippy stick; it is beautiful to watch. Although his shot is too fast for it to really matter, the fluidity also telegraphs the timing of his release, and the puck leaves his stick more or less when you think it should. Lekk's release relies on quieter body mechanics, and he seems to be able to get it off despite being mid stride, off balance, or in more awkward postures. It often seems to leave his stick half a beat early. He is able to get his one-timer off from less than ideal passes, whereas Petey needs a damn near perfect pass, and he often won't shoot if the timing is a little off or if it isn't perfectly in his wheelhouse. Miller by contrast is very good at making the most out of mediocre passes in getting his one-timer off, and I believe Lekk will be similar to Miller in this regard. For my player comparison, I think Lekk shoots a bit like Jack Eichel, where he gets a lot of power and accuracy into it with a short wind-up and short follow-through while keeping a quiet and upright upper body posture.

Reactions: Raistlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad