Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Lekkerimäk & EP 2

Wow!...D-Petey looks solid in those photos.....another year in the SHL and I can see him being a leading blueliner in Abbotsford, and a step away from the NHL.

Getting 'Alex Edler' vibes from this third round pick. Every once and awhile, like every decade, the Canucks seem to hit a home run by drafting a d-man from Sweden.

Reactions: Coffees

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Wow!...D-Petey looks solid in those photos.....another year in the SHL and I can see him being a leading blueliner in Abbotsford, and a step away from the NHL.

Getting 'Alex Edler' vibes from this third round pick. Every once and awhile, like every decade, the Canucks seem to hit a home run by drafting a d-man from Sweden.
He *looks* good, but I am not sure he has proven he is a home run yet by any stretch.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Same here and i am from sweden maybe it is because his last name is to complicated to remember.
I genuinely think this is it.
In every draft there are some names that roll off the tongue and are super memorable. Lekkerimaki just doesn't have a great hockey name. His name is a mouthful. Fans and advertisers are going to have a tough time.
There's something about his name that just... fades into obscurity, like you just scrolled through an AHL roster from 2009 (I'm not projecting him as an AHLer, but rather critiquing my own markedly unfair personal sentiment to his name)
Compare with names like Bobby Brink, Logan Cooley, and Lekkerimaki is at a HUGE disadvantage on name alone! :)

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I genuinely think this is it.
In every draft there are some names that roll off the tongue and are super memorable. Lekkerimaki just doesn't have a great hockey name. His name is a mouthful. Fans and advertisers are going to have a tough time.
There's something about his name that just... fades into obscurity, like you just scrolled through an AHL roster from 2009 (I'm not projecting him as an AHLer, but rather critiquing my own markedly unfair personal sentiment to his name)
Compare with names like Bobby Brink, Logan Cooley, and Lekkerimaki is at a HUGE disadvantage on name alone! :)
You are right on point and only way his name is going to be a good hockey name is if he become a 40 goal scorer in the league then his name is very good suddenly only time will tell

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I still think Red Savage is one of the better names in hockey. I’m curious if he ever makes it with the Wings or whoever, whether some folks will want him to change it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You are right on point and only way his name is going to be a good hockey name is if he become a 40 goal scorer in the league then his name is very good suddenly only time will tell
Yeah I hope he plays so hard that it becomes a name of his own.
Something something about forcing it down our throats... uhh... yeah!

Reactions: yzerman

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
A #4 defencemen from where he was selected and in the draft he was selected in is a home run.

A #4 defender from a 3rd round pick is a massive home run. That would be one top 5 best picks of the entire draft outside of the first round.

That would be a 2 Run Home run

I said we'll be very lucky if he ended up as a #4 defenseman for us.

The original poster in question said he was "on track to be a home run". I don't think that's true at all at this point. He's played well since drafted but it's not like he dominated his competition and is a top 50 NHL prospect or something.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

The original poster in question said he was "on track to be a home run". I don't think that's true at all at this point. He's played well since drafted but it's not like he dominated his competition and is a top 50 NHL prospect or something.

He is absolutely trending like a home run for where he was picked.

Which is what everyone else is saying.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

How many 3rd round picks from the 2022 draft are 'dominating the competition'?

He's had a great trajectory since being drafted - grown significantly, excellent numbers against junior players (especially for a big defensive D), played regularly in the SHL in his draft+1, will be a core guy for the Swedish WJC team this year. He's one of the biggest upward movers in that draft at this point and would probably be a late 1st in a re-draft.

He isn't a top-50 prospect but he's probably approaching a top-100 prospect right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Obviously as a kid drafted in the top-half of the first round, the expectation is that he'll be an NHL player. Anything less would be a 'disappointment'.

But when does he arrive? How much time will he need in Abbotsford? My guess is at least a couple of years in the AHL, where he can get physically stronger and adjust to the smaller NA ice.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
half of you are talking about a guy, and half of you are talking about a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad