Prospect Info: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Really really hope he bounces back from an awful season. Botched picks are the single most reason a team isn’t competitive. Way more than a bad trade or bad development.

Nathan Smith over Justin Williams
RJ Umberger over Jason Pommenville
Grabner over Claude Giroux
Patrick white over Jamie Benn
Cody Hodgson over Jordan Eberle
Schroeder over Ryan O Reilly
Nik Jensen over Kucherov
Jake Virtanen over Dave Pasternak
Olli Juolevi over Matt Tkachuk

Look at the names on that list that we could have had. Every scout hired by the Canucks for the last 15 years has been stealing money.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Really really hope he bounces back from an awful season. Botched picks are the single most reason a team isn’t competitive. Way more than a bad trade or bad development.

Nik Jensen over Kucherov

Look at the names on that list that we could have had. Every scout hired by the Canucks for the last 15 years has been stealing money.
To be fair you could put together a similar list for every team in the league.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Nik Jensen over Kucherov

You're not wrong on scouting misses but also this isn't unique to the Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know what it is, but so many of these skinny Swedish teenagers bulk up a lot as they get older. Remember being at the draft in Vancouver in 2006 when the Canucks took Grabner. I was near to a absolute beanpole of a kid named Patrik Bergland. He was just so thin you couldn't image him playing pro hockey. However, by his mid 20's he was 6'3" and weighted well over 200 hundred pounds. Could say the same with Pettersson (whose starting get increasingly stronger) and many of the Swedish kids. No doubt, other groups so the same, but Swedish kids, in particular, get drafted as very light players but then mature into big men.

Might be the Canadian system doesn't allow for smaller, lighter players to given much of chance. The need to win now, especially in Junior hockey, means that you want the early maturing kid. In Sweden, with the bigger ice sheets and less emphasis on winning at the minor league, skilled, smaller players seemingly are allowed more chance to develop.

The hope would be that Lekkerimaki is on such a path. However, at his weight, I think it would be a mistake to bring him over too soon and put against men Abby or into the Junior hockey meat grinder. Let him stay in Europe and play in all the international tournaments.

Would also say, there have been some holier than thou comments concerning Lekkerimaki. People claiming that others said Lekkerimaki was a bust after his poor start to the season. I didn't see much of that anywhere. Instead, people were providing an honest assessment of Lekkerimaki's play at the time. He had very bad start. Also, people recognized the factors interfering with his progress - the mono, injuries and such. It is a little juvenile to come on here and say others "wrote off" Lekkerimaki, when all they were doing is commenting on how he was playing at that time. In fact, it is a little silly to say that we now know Lekkerimaki will be a NHL star based on this one playoff series. There will be ups and downs in his development and along the way people will comment on these changes. Such comments are rarely written in stone but only reflect his present progression.

Agree with your points but wanted to comment about Patrik Berglund. Sure he needed to put on weight but he wasn't skinny with narrow shoulders like Petey. He had a projectable frame and was listed as 6'3" 187lbs at the time of the draft. Hardly a bean pole. Nobody would think of him as a skinny guy who needs to eat more and hit the weight room if he was the captain of a high school senior team.

1683512108230.png

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
The nice thing about being perpetually shitting on everything Canucks is that odds are you would be right more often that you would be wrong... especially over the last decade.

But Johnny, in this case you are reaching. Your list of missed picks is pretty low effort. Literally every team can be made to look as bad using your metrics. And Lekk didn't have an "awful year", he had a year where part of it was pretty awful, but some of it was quite good. And fortunately, he ended on the high note.

If you want to shoot some fish in the barrel, the J.T. Miller thread could probably use some of your incisive critiques.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I should be ready for this, but it never ceases to surprise me how utterly incompetent sports reporters are at framing questions. Don't ask yes or no, either/or questions. Don't ask questions when you know the answer already. Have a bit of professionalism. Read one @#$#@ book about how to interview.

Lekkerimaki is a serious kid, like lots of young Swedes, operating in a second language, so he kept things minimal. But it was nice to see his face light up when asked about possibly playing with Elias Pettersson.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Nik Jensen over Kucherov

The ones that seemed obvious to me at the time were Nathan Smith and Patrick White largely because IIRC they were so off-board that we should have been picking SOMEONE else, Virtanen there were several options likely better (Ehlers and Nylander I remember many here particularly keen on, though how bad the Virtanen pick ended up being was probably a shock to all) and of course there was the blindingly obvious Juolevi debacle.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The ones that seemed obvious to me at the time were Nathan Smith and Patrick White largely because IIRC they were so off-board that we should have been picking SOMEONE else, Virtanen there were several options likely better (Ehlers and Nylander I remember many here particularly keen on, though how bad the Virtanen pick ended up being was probably a shock to all) and of course there was the blindingly obvious Juolevi debacle.

Smith wasn't that far off the board, was he? He was 13th on Central Scouting's NA skaters list, for example. Ahead of Stoll, Vermette, and Justin Williams.

Similarly, White was ranked in the later 1st/early second range IIRC.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Smith wasn't that far off the board, was he? He was 13th on Central Scouting's NA skaters list, for example. Ahead of Stoll, Vermette, and Justin Williams.

Hmm, quite possibly, I just remember those in particular being ones that I distinctly thought were obviously bad, the others I either didn't have a strong negative opinion (Grabner, Schroeder), was legitimately excited by (Hodgson, Umberger), or had a bad feeling about but didn't think were necessarily obvious bad calls (Jensen).

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I hated the Smith pick from the second it was made - the guy couldn't skate, had no production - but my biggest gripe with it was that Brian Sutherby (8 NA by CSS) played the same position in the same division of the WHL as Smith and was bigger/faster/meaner/more skilled/better defensively and just an all-around very obviously superior prospect. It's one thing when you make a mistake on a guy playing CHL vs. Euro jr. or whatever but to so obviously blow the evaluation of two similar players playing head-to-head in the same province was just ... barf. We basically picked Smith because Brian Burke went to watch the Top Prospects Game and Smith scored 2 goals in that one game.

Not that Sutherby ended up being a world-beater or anything, but he did hang around the NHL as a useful depth C for nearly a decade.

Reactions: MarkMM

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Nathan Smith was 13th among NA Skaters for CSB in 2000.

Patrick White was 23rd among NA skaters for CSB in 2007.

In 2007, the 1st round was all over the map versus the CSB rankings. Some teams went deep down the list. San Jose made a pretty genius move nabbing Logan Couture.

11ChicagoPatrick KaneRRanked: #2 NA
12PhiladelphiaJames Van RiemsdykLRanked: #3 NA
13PhoenixKyle TurrisCRanked: #1 NA
14Los AngelesThomas HickeyDRanked: #26 NA
15WashingtonKarl AlznerDRanked: #5 NA
16EdmontonSam GagnerCRanked: #6 NA
17ColumbusJakub VoracekRRanked: #7 NA
18BostonZach HamillCRanked: #9 NA
19San JoseLogan CoutureCRanked: #19 NA
110FloridaKeaton EllerbyDRanked: #4 NA
111CarolinaBrandon SutterCRanked: #28 NA
112MontrealRyan McDonaghDRanked: #11 NA
113St. LouisLars EllerCRanked: #3 European
114ColoradoKevin ShattenkirkDRanked: #34 NA
115EdmontonAlex PlanteDRanked: #72 NA
116MinnesotaColton GilliesLRanked: #30 NA
117NY RangersAlexei CherepanovRRanked: #1 European
118St. LouisIan ColeDRanked: #81 NA
119AnaheimLogan MacMillanLRanked: #42 NA
120PittsburghAngelo EspositoCRanked: #8 NA
121EdmontonRiley NashCRanked: #64 NA
122MontrealMax PaciorettyLRanked: #16 NA
123NashvilleJonathon BlumDRanked: #17 NA
124CalgaryMikael BacklundCRanked: #2 European
125VancouverPatrick WhiteCRanked: #23 NA
126St. LouisDavid PerronLRanked: #10 NA
127DetroitBrendan SmithDRanked: #68 NA
128San JoseNick PetreckiDRanked: #21 NA
129OttawaJim O'BrienCRanked: #38 NA
130PhoenixNick RossDRanked: #18 NA

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I hated the Smith pick from the second it was made - the guy couldn't skate, had no production - but my biggest gripe with it was that Brian Sutherby (8 NA by CSS) played the same position in the same division of the WHL as Smith and was bigger/faster/meaner/more skilled/better defensively and just an all-around very obviously superior prospect. It's one thing when you make a mistake on a guy playing CHL vs. Euro jr. or whatever but to so obviously blow the evaluation of two similar players playing head-to-head in the same province was just ... barf. We basically picked Smith because Brian Burke went to watch the Top Prospects Game and Smith scored 2 goals in that one game.

Not that Sutherby ended up being a world-beater or anything, but he did hang around the NHL as a useful depth C for nearly a decade.

Oh, I'm not saying Smith (or White) was a good pick or anything - just that he wasn't necessarily an out-of-left-field guy to get drafted in the late first round.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If memory serves Smith was in the 40s in Bob McKenzie’s THN rankings which are generally a better barometer than CSS.

You could be right. I certainly don't remember. It's a shame that there's no archive of those lists online.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
According to Aftonbladet (biggest tabloid in Sweden) Jonathan are close to completing the negotiations with Örebro for next season. They claim that Allvin have had a big say in where he plays next season and that his good contacts with, among others, new coach Johan Hedberg, has played a signficant role in his next choice of club.

The newspaper also claim he will get a role in one of the top-lines (not so sure about this myself) and an important role as a rightie on the PP.

Link (it is in Swedish though) if anyone wanna check and google translate it :)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
According to Aftonbladet (biggest tabloid in Sweden) Jonathan are close to completing the negotiations with Örebro for next season. They claim that Allvin have had a big say in where he plays next season and that his good contacts with, among others, new coach Johan Hedberg, has played a signficant role in his next choice of club.

The newspaper also claim he will get a role in one of the top-lines (not so sure about this myself) and an important role as a rightie on the PP.

The translation:
Lekkerimäki's NHL club Vancouver Canucks, with Swedish general manager Patrik Allvin, has a lot to say about current club selection. The fact that he has good contact with Örebro's sporting director Niklas Eriksson and coach Johan Hedberg has not been a disadvantage in the negotiations. Örebro can also offer a tailored role high up in the hierarchy and as a right-handed shooter in the powerplay.

Jonathan Lekkerimäki had a messy regular season with JVM games, illness and injuries. But in the playoffs it really loosened up and the young right-handed shooter delivered 15 points in as many games and had only Linus Klasen and Marcus Krüger ahead of him in the scoring league.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

The Moose is loose! Legitimately silly how often former back-up goalies having an impact on organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad