Rumor: Jonathan Huberdeau is open to waiving his NMC to go to a contender

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s got $73.5 million left on his deal. The idea that Calgary would retain $30-35+ million in dead space just to have him off the team or to get a pick back is just wildly untenable and unreasonable. There’s also no way I can see an ownership or management swallowing that much….pride (let alone resource allocation)…to admit such a colossal mistake.

Hope he can turn it around for the next few years and then look at trying to deal him for another team’s cap problem down the road.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
His best chance is to go the EK65 route. Have a great rebound season to improve his value so Calgary can move him with some retention. I don’t see Calgary wanting to retain 50% for that long

Reactions: bleachdrinker

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
To Edmonton:
Huberdeau (30% retained) - 7.350 x 7yrs

To Calgary:
Nurse - 9.250 x 6yrs

Won't happen but Edmonton does this IMO. To be fair - I think what you meant was to received positive value (Nurse is obviously negative). In that case, I think they need to eat at least 40% of his deal, bringing him to down to 6.300. Even then, I don't think they'd get anything substantial. That's more of the 'free - pickup only' number.

Calgary would be paying a worse player more money essentially. Not a chance.

Additionally - I have zero doubts that Huberdeau would be a 90 point player in Edmonton. He's a good player who hasn't found his fit on a team seriously lacking the high skill for him to compliment.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Look at how much difficulty the Sharks had finding a trade partner for Karlsson. Now consider that Karlsson had one of the greatest offensive defenseman seasons of all time prior to being traded. Also consider the amount of cap dumps that San Jose had to facilitate Pittsburgh moving, and San Jose still had to retain.

The return at the time was a projected late 1st swapped for a projected very high 3rd. San Jose did get lucky with Pittsburgh taking a step back and the 1st being in the top 16 of the draft, but that wasn't anticipated at the time of the trade.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Man oh man. Talk about an impossible no-win situation. Whichever GM gave him that contract blew up their own career, no team would ever be that desperate or colossally stupid to put that guy in charge of anything hockey-related ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: Suntouchable13

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He could be a PPG and it would be a tough bet. There's no chance anyone is taking the contract w/o a substantial retention and assets going the other way. And that isn't in the interest of a rebuilding team that has no need to free up cap space.

Anyways, the entire point is mute. Huberdeau has a contractual obligation to our team and he ain't moveable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
even Florida fans thought that too. let's not pretend this was just a HFBoard. the entire hockey world viewed CGY winning that.
and it still was a good trade value wise at the time. got a 115point winger and a top 4 Dman.

however things just didn't work out

Not me, and I took shit for it even on the Oilers board.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
At this point, Huberdeau's trade restrictions are redundant.

His performance, salary and term already make him untradeable.

Reactions: super6646

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Uh some teams would. 5M isnt much these days.
This is true. The cap is $88,000,000.

If you divide the cap by the 20 roster spots, then you get an average of $4,400,000. Obviously, there's additional fill-in players but they should be making near minimum. Huberdeau, even at his worst, is better than the average NHLer.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Teams would shuffle things around to acquire a top line forward for ~$5M. The term wouldn’t be a concern at that point at all.

I agree with the second part though; no team in the league is going to retain that much money for that long, so moot indeed.
Who’s the top line player?

Surely you’re not talking about Huberdeau anymore ?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Might go down as single worst trade in NHL history.
If you are refering to the Tkachuk trade, no it won't. That trade was more than fine for the Flames. What they will end up regretting is re-signing Huberdeau instead of flipping him for more assets.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad