Value of: Johnny Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Gaudreau @ 23 goes 30-48-78 in 79
Eberle @ 22 goes 34-42-76 in 78

But Gaudreau is ~ Patrick Kane while Eberle is borderline useless.
Because... "6th OVERALL IN SCORING LAST YEAR, YOU GUYS!!!!"

That about where we're at.. ?
Since that year Eberle hasn't been close to touching the PPG mark...

But let's use Eberle's one outlier to compare... because, well, you need a handpicked argument to even suggest Eberle is close to the same tier as Gaudreau.

But then again, this is coming from the same fan base that thought Eberle would get them a top 2 defenceman straight up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Eberle has fizzled out since then. If Gaudreau were to see a decrease in his production for 4 years straight, then obviously his value would drop. That hasn't happened. In fact Gaudreau looks to still be improving.

No to mention, as others have stated Eberle hit that stat in a higher scoring league.

So it's basically an issue of where the players have gone/are going since their big years. Eberle has declined. Gaudreau still has the potential to be even better. Also, stats don't tell the whole story. You need to watch Johnny play to see how special of a player he is.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Eberle has fizzled out since then. If Gaudreau were to see a decrease in his production for 4 years straight, then obviously his value would drop. That hasn't happened. In fact Gaudreau looks to still be improving.

No to mention, as others have stated Eberle hit that stat in a higher scoring league.

So it's basically an issue of where the players have gone/are going since their big years. Eberle has declined. Gaudreau still has the potential to be even better. Also, stats don't tell the whole story. You need to watch Johnny play to see how special of a player he is.

But Gaudreau has done it once, and I'm not even sure what "it" is? A 30 goal season and nearly a PPG..? Not that that isn't incredibly tough to do in the NHL, but people are talking like it was a 50 goal coming out party...or that he's had those stats for 5 years straight...or that he's 18 rather than 23 years old.

Panarin had the same stats and people tend to take him with a grain-of-salt. An "okay, now do it again.." kind of an attitude. Gaudreau is being compared to Kane and Datsyuk already..?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

But let's use Eberle's one outlier to compare... because, well, you need a handpicked argument to even suggest Eberle is close to the same tier as Gaudreau.

But then again, this is coming from the same fan base that thought Eberle would get them a top 2 defenceman straight up.

Gaudreau is getting a top 2 dman either. That's Hall territory.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
But Gaudreau has done it once, and I'm not even sure what "it" is? A 30 goal season and nearly a PPG..? Not that that isn't incredibly tough to do in the NHL, but people are talking like it was a 50 goal coming out party...or that he's had those stats for 5 years straight...or that he's 18 rather than 23 years old.

Panarin had the same stats and people tend to take him with a grain-of-salt. An "okay, now do it again.." kind of an attitude. Gaudreau is being compared to Kane and Datsyuk already..?

Gaudreau has been at his pace for 1.5 seasons plus a 2 week playoff run. No one is treating Gaudreau like a 50 goal scorer. They are treating him like a young player who was tied for 6th overall in scoring. Once again, it's not just the stats with Gaudreau. If you watch him play, it's the way he generates his offence, which creates the buzz.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Why?

He's as skilled a player as their is. His hands and vision are special. And he didn't even choose the name. He was lighting up college the same time Johnny 'Football' Manziel was play for Texas A & M. People started calling him Johnny Hockey as a mockery to Johnny Football and it stuck.

edit: just read why he trademarked

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Gaudreau was 22 last year, and didn't have to shoot at 18.9% to reach those levels in a lower scoring league. His rookie season was also much better.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

78 points in 2016 is harder to get than 76 was in 2012. Eberle's career year was based on an inflated shooting percentage (everyone who wasn't an a completely biased Eberle fanboy was aware of this fact immediately).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

No, as far as we know Gaudreau is still peaking up.

Eberle has gone downhill since...that's why he is much lessor player

have to be blind or ignorance not to see that.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Okay, but it's the same thing from your end? Gaudreau's other season was 64 points, which is about Eberle's usual pace... I'm not disagreeing that Gaudreau is way better and more valuable, but the argument makes no sense.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Does Huberdeau's deal affect Gaudreau's asking price? Both the same age, same position, but JG is the far superior player. If Huberdeau is getting 5.9 per, I don't see how JG's agent doesn't figure he's worth at least 1.5per more.

6 years, 7.5 per? How would Flames fans feel about that?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Does Huberdeau's deal affect Gaudreau's asking price? Both the same age, same position, but JG is the far superior player. If Huberdeau is getting 5.9 per, I don't see how JG's agent doesn't figure he's worth at least 1.5per more.

6 years, 7.5 per? How would Flames fans feel about that?

Huberdeau's contract was 2 years RFA, 4 years UFA.

A 6 year Gaudreau contract would be 5 year RFA, 1 year UFA. If you notice, the RFA years have been valued at significantly lower than UFA years. Like getting into half price for RFA years compared to UFA years.

If you look at Hub's contract as 4, 4, 7, 7, 7, 7, I'd be more than happy giving Gaudreau 1.5M for each RFA year and even 3M for each UFA year more than Hub's but that contract is still 5.5M, 5.5M, 5.5M, 5.5M, 5.5M, 10M for 6.25M/year. That's no where close to 7.5M.

The only way Gaudreau should see 7.5M is if it's an 8 year contract.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
1 years - 5M/year
2 years - 5.25M/year

3 years - 5.5M/year
4 years - 5.75M/year
5 years - 6M/year
6 years - 6.7M/year
7 years - 7.1M/year
8 years - 7.5M/year

This is what Gaudreau's AAV should be, in my opinion (with the room for it having significant signing bonuses or being frontloaded and the like to vary it a bit), The bolded is the term the Flames should look at. Having Gaudreau leave as a UFA after 5 years is worst case scenario, having him hit up arbitration and then walk as a UFA isn't much better. So either bridge or max term is my hope.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Gaudreau was 22 for the entirety of last year. He also is the one who creates the offense on his line. Eberle is entirely useless away from other star players who drive the play and create the offense. Gaudreau was also dragging a 4th liner around on his other wing. Ferland is a physical player and good defensively, but not a guy who is going to produce points. He's essentially Matt Hendricks. A little different than Taylor Hall I'd say.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
1 years - 5M/year
2 years - 5.25M/year

3 years - 5.5M/year
4 years - 5.75M/year
5 years - 6M/year
6 years - 6.7M/year
7 years - 7.1M/year
8 years - 7.5M/year

This is what Gaudreau's AAV should be, in my opinion (with the room for it having significant signing bonuses or being frontloaded and the like to vary it a bit), The bolded is the term the Flames should look at. Having Gaudreau leave as a UFA after 5 years is worst case scenario, having him hit up arbitration and then walk as a UFA isn't much better. So either bridge or max term is my hope.

Why would he sign that?

You have to think he's in Tarasenko territory at least, and with the amount of Flames fans that think Gaudreau is trending up, perhaps he believes that as well.

If thats the case he should be holding out for Tarasenko dollars at the least.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Why would he sign that?

You have to think he's in Tarasenko territory at least, and with the amount of Flames fans that think Gaudreau is trending up, perhaps he believes that as well.

If thats the case he should be holding out for Tarasenko dollars at the least.

You know Tarasenko signed 7.5M at 8 years, right?

The offer for 7.5M for 8 years is on that chart...

Oh, those are AAV. 8 different contracts depending on the term he wants. If he signs 8 years, 7.5M, per. If he signs 7 years, 7.1M per year. That's not an 8 year contract....

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You know Tarasenko signed 7.5M at 8 years, right?

The offer for 7.5M for 8 years is on that chart...

Oh, those are AAV. 8 different contracts depending on the term he wants. If he signs 8 years, 7.5M, per. If he signs 7 years, 7.1M per year. That's not an 8 year contract....

Gotcha.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I never said he gave it to himself or he was cocky, I stated its the most annoying name in the NHL. Thus where I hear it, I want to see a massive highlight of the night hit on him each time. Just n/c it's so annoying. :laugh:

See the little water bug get crushed with a huge clean hit.

So you admit he didn't give himself the nickname and that he isn't cocky, yet you still want to see him laid out because an announcer calls him Johnny Hockey? Wow. That's odd.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Who gets more goals this upcoming season?

I think Eberle.
It's been 6 years since he scored 30, I have 2 friends that are Oiler fans who bet with their heart every year and I end up with a free golf membership because of it. Think about it pal, Eberle is trending down and Gaudreau is trending up! yeah you could get lucky but I would take that bet all day long and give double odds on sundays.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's been 6 years since he scored 30, I have 2 friends that are Oiler fans who bet with their heart every year and I end up with a free golf membership because of it. Think about it pal, Eberle is trending down and Gaudreau is trending up! yeah you could get lucky but I would take that bet all day long and give double odds on sundays.
If he manages to play a full season on mcdavids line I could see him breaking 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad