Value of: Johnny Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
A lot of Johnny fans here have their blinders on. Reality check.
JG is worth 20-30% less contract than Monahan.
Why?
1. He's a winger
2. He's 5'6"
3. He plays one end of the ice
4. Because of 2. he has limited function.

This is not Theo Fleury 5'6"
He's basically Jordan Eberle...and Jordan aint worth 6million.

This is totally false.
Eberle can score on the road

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A lot of Johnny fans here have their blinders on. Reality check.
JG is worth 20-30% less contract than Monahan.
Why?
1. He's a winger
2. He's 5'6"
3. He plays one end of the ice
4. Because of 2. he has limited function.

This is not Theo Fleury 5'6"
He's basically Jordan Eberle...and Jordan aint worth 6million.

A lot of Johnny critics here have their blinders on. Reality check, JG is worth 20-30% more than Monahan. Why?

1. He's an "ELITE" winger.
2. He is 5'6 and possesses world class lateral movement and edge work, (see Patty Kane).
3. He's a dynamic offsensive player who's also a hound on the puck, very good positionally and above average at takeaways (Datsyuk).
4. Because he's small and shifty, and has elite hockey sense, he's extremely difficult to check and thus it makes him very difficult to defend against.

I have no doubts that Johnny will break 80pts this season and probably finish top 5 league wide in points. This is a rare elite talent were talking about ladies and gentlemen and players like this don't come around very often.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
A lot of Johnny critics here have their blinders on. Reality check, JG is worth 20-30% more than Monahan. Why?

1. He's an "ELITE" winger.
2. He is 5'6 and possesses world class lateral movement and edge work, (see Patty Kane).
3. He's a dynamic offsensive player who's also a hound on the puck, very good positionally and above average at takeaways (Datsyuk).
4. Because he's small and shifty, and has elite hockey sense, he's extremely difficult to check and thus it makes him very difficult to defend against.

I have no doubts that Johnny will break 80pts this season and probably finish top 5 league wide in points. This is a rare elite talent were talking about ladies and gentlemen and players like this don't come around very often.

Maybe this year was an aberration but the fact that he cant score on the road would contradict this. JG is fun to watch and has some good skills. But the fact is he is nothing like Kane or Datsyuk. Both those players excel in all situations. JG has what seem to be some fairly serious limitations to his game that do not let him reach the level of players of that ilk. Or maybe this year was just a one off and he will be great. time will tell.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Maybe this year was an aberration but the fact that he cant score on the road would contradict this. JG is fun to watch and has some good skills. But the fact is he is nothing like Kane or Datsyuk. Both those players excel in all situations. JG has what seem to be some fairly serious limitations to his game that do not let him reach the level of players of that ilk. Or maybe this year was just a one off and he will be great. time will tell.

22 points in 39 road games = not scoring on the road for you?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

It was his 2nd season. How many players in the last 10 years have come along and posted the numbers he has in their first 2 seasons? He will be fine scoring on the road this year and that will likely push him close to 90pts or more.

All young players develop and need to make adjustments to their games, Gaudreau will be no different. He's an elite player.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
22 points in 39 road games = not scoring on the road for you?

It is ok if your name is Sam Gagner. But for someone that is being touted as an ELITE winger... yes that is not scoring on the road. Like I said maybe this year was just a one off. I am not trying to come off as thinking he is not a good player. He is. But those saying he is at the level of the best in the league are going overboard. Comparing him to Kane and Datsyuk is just a joke

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It is ok if your name is Sam Gagner. But for someone that is being touted as an ELITE winger... yes that is not scoring on the road. Like I said maybe this year was just a one off. I am not trying to come off as thinking he is not a good player. He is. But those saying he is at the level of the best in the league are going overboard. Comparing him to Kane and Datsyuk is just a joke

I've been hearing his critics make similar remarks since he was in the NCAA, this is no different.

"Let's see him do that in the NHL".

"Wait until he faces Chara or Weber".

Now it's, "Yeah he's good, but he can't score on the road".

He did face tougher matches on the road and it affected his production this year, but as he develops more this will no longer be a thing.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I've been hearing his critics make similar remarks since he was in the NCAA, this is no different.

"Let's see him do that in the NHL".

"Wait until he faces Chara or Weber".

Now it's, "Yeah he's good, but he can't score on the road".

He did face tougher matches on the road and it affected his production this year, but as he develops more this will no longer be a thing.

Maybe.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Third best points per game for a left winger if you go by the last three seasons (at least 100 games played).

He's elite at his position. You give an elite amount for him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It is ok if your name is Sam Gagner. But for someone that is being touted as an ELITE winger... yes that is not scoring on the road. Like I said maybe this year was just a one off.

maybe?

This was a post I made during the season, but is still relevant:

When you're only shooting 2.65% on the road, a season after shooting 8.94% on the road, it's safe to say that you probably just haven't been very lucky on the road. Likewise, when you're shooting 16.91% at home, a season after shooting 13.39% at home, you've probably been on the slightly pleasant side of lucky.

And +/- is a team stat. Bad goaltending, a young developing defensive center, and some sketchy bottom pairings all contribute.

And when he's so productive at home, it doesn't hurt either. Let's put it like, in the last four seasons, these are the players to have scored 52 home points:

Sidney Crosby - 2013-14 (Art Ross Trophy, Pearson Trophy, Hart Trophy) 56 points in 40 games
Johnny Gaudreau - 2015-16 52 points in 36 games

Oh, and Gaudreau still has four home games left to play (he was scratched for one already otherwise it would be five). Patrick Kane has 47 home points this season.

Last season Gaudreau was 82.857% as productive on the road as he was at home.
If Gaudreau were as proportionally productive on the road relative to home this season as last season, he could have 39 road points and 91 total points in 69 games. That'd be a 59 point pace at home, 48 point pace on the road. 107 point pace on the season.

He doesn't, he's on a mere PPG pace (if he continues his road/home splits he should finish with ~80 points in 81 games). That's what we're judging him on.

It's unfortunate that he's not on a 107 point pace but 107+ points has been done exactly once since 2010-11 by Evgeni Malkin and he had a sweep of the Hart / Pearson / Art Ross that year. If I'm correct Kane is on pace for around 104 points and will run away with the Art Ross this year.

That's how dominant Gaudreau has been at home.

Third best points per game for a left winger if you go by the last three seasons (at least 100 games played).

Also the 3rd-best home points per 60 in the NHL over that same period (Crosby/Malkin are higher).

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hitting is part of the game, a big part of it.....don't like it watch another sport.

I love hitting to knock a guy off the puck , Not to crush him . Makes it sound like you want the kid injured . I agree it is a part of the game but it is a game and people/players are more important then a game . You hear it all the time when players are going thru serious injuries or a family member is facing a serious illness .

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Prorate that to a 42 point season over 82 games.
Kid doesnt do well unless he gets the perfect line match at home

On the other hand, if he fixed that, he'll be the league's MVP....

It's only one year but I am sure the nay sayer will always find some thing to pick on him

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Thinking a player is done improving in their 2nd season is comical to me.

Eberle's 2nd season is better than Gaudreaus. Since then he's gone backwards. NHL history is littered with players whose 2nd year was their best. Also see Paul Kariya, who incidently is another Gaudreau comparable...except he too scored on the road

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
On the other hand, if he fixed that, he'll be the league's MVP....

It's only one year but I am sure the nay sayer will always find some thing to pick on him

Im willing to bet he doesnt reach last years home totals of 56 points in 40 games
Any wagers?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Im willing to bet he doesnt reach last years home totals of 56 points in 40 games
Any wagers?

And I am willing to bet that he will score more on the road...and continue to be top 10 in league scoring....no doubt at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad