Value of: Johnny Gaudreau: UFA this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Fox leaves for NYR
Brodie leaves for Toronto
Bennett breaks out in FLA
Gaudreau leaves for PHI
What would be the reaction if Coronato left for the East?

The reaction would be bad. What are people supposed to say to that? Best player and a top prospect leaving the organization, not something any fan wants to see. What kind of a question is this?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Fox was a different circumstance. He said he'd only sign with the Rags from the get go. That's what he did. Gaudreau has said publicly, multiple times and held press conferences saying he's staying here. Tkachuk is a far bigger concern than Gaudreau. He's never said he's staying here.

Tkachuk, unlike Gaudreau, doesn't have the ability to walk for nothing. Tkachuk could theoretically force a hold out for next year, but that would be really damaging to his career. Especially as he already has a large personality with some on ice discipline issues.

If the Flames lost Tkachuk, but managed to get a pretty good trade out of him, they wouldn't be sunk and could build a very competitive team without Tkachuk. Especially if someone like Toffoli steps up into that 1st line RW position. However, without Gaudreau, the team is done.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tkachuk, unlike Gaudreau, doesn't have the ability to walk for nothing. Tkachuk could theoretically force a hold out for next year, but that would be really damaging to his career. Especially as he already has a large personality with some on ice discipline issues.

If the Flames lost Tkachuk, but managed to get a pretty good trade out of him, they wouldn't be sunk and could build a very competitive team without Tkachuk. Especially if someone like Toffoli steps up into that 1st line RW position. However, without Gaudreau, the team is done.
Agreed on all points. Just saying that I think it's a possibility that Tkachuk doesn't want to be here long term. I don't believe that's the case with Johnny. If he wanted out or was even thinking about it, it's super easy to say nothing or we'll consider it in the offseason. He's done everything he can to say he wants to be here. He's bought in to the system and is leading the NHL in +/-. I think there's zero chance he's leaving unless the team ultra lowballs him and I think there's zero chance that happens.

I actually don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to move Tkachuk assuming a good return.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Like Conroy, Suter, Reinhart and Otto eh? Johnny said he would sign with the Flames out of College. He did. He said he'd re-sign after his entry level, he did. Now he says we will re-sign again and you think he's lying? If he wanted to be out East he could have waited 3 months after College and done that.

Plenty of East Coast US born players still live in Calgary after their retirement. It's the 3rd biggest alumni group of players living in the city in the league.
Not gonna lie, I don't know who any of those four are.
I don't know Gaudreau's situation. Just that when the face of a franchise is four months from UFA, it raises eyebrows. He's from the Philly metro, and they have plenty of cap. Makes sense to speculate. I see no reason why he would specifically want out of Calgary, but I'm just saying there are plenty of examples of guys not being interested in staying in Western Canada, and I think it'd be foolish to close the book on him walking.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not gonna lie, I don't know who any of those four are.
I don't know Gaudreau's situation. Just that when the face of a franchise is four months from UFA, it raises eyebrows. He's from the Philly metro, and they have plenty of cap. Makes sense to speculate. I see no reason why he would specifically want out of Calgary, but I'm just saying there are plenty of examples of guys not being interested in staying in Western Canada, and I think it'd be foolish to close the book on him walking.
Well they all played for the US olympic team. It's weird that someone from the US wouldn't know who they are if they are a hockey fan who cares enough to post here. Phoenix has lots of cap space too. Do you see Matthew hankering to go there when his contract is up? Philly is a bad team. If Gaudreau were to leave Calgary it wouldn't be for Philly.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well they all played for the US olympic team. It's weird that someone from the US wouldn't know who they are if they are a hockey fan who cares enough to post here. Phoenix has lots of cap space too. Do you see Matthew hankering to go there when his contract is up? Philly is a bad team. If Gaudreau were to leave Calgary it wouldn't be for Philly.
He's just trolling. He has a massive chip on his shoulder because the hockey media doesn't care about the Panthers, so he'll spin it around every time, even when it doesn't make sense.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The reaction would be bad. What are people supposed to say to that? Best player and a top prospect leaving the organization, not something any fan wants to see. What kind of a question is this?
Well would it just be outcry and boos, or would there be a broader and more substantive critique/discussion/response from the organization, fanbase, and media?
There was recognition and discussion of the problems last summer in Columbus after Jones wanted out.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I'm 24. And even if I was old enough to remember players from when I was a little kid, I don't care about the Olympics.
He's just trolling. He has a massive chip on his shoulder because the hockey media doesn't care about the Panthers, so he'll spin it around every time, even when it doesn't make sense.
I troll here often enough, but I'm not trolling this time. Also, why would I want the hockey media to care about the Panthers? So they can chase players away and routinely get things wrong for the sake of being wrong? Also, I'm from New York, so I wouldn't have a small market chip on my should anyway.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
LOL at people thinking it will be under 9

a rookie agent who never negotiated a contract could get 9 with comps in the market
I think it'll be 8.5-9.5. Iginla could have gotten 9+ at his peak and stayed for less. Sometimes players give a team a deal. Sometimes not. My guess is Johnny will leave some money on the table. I figured he'd get 10ish on the open market.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm 24. And even if I was old enough to remember players from when I was a little kid, I don't care about the Olympics.

I troll here often enough, but I'm not trolling this time. Also, why would I want the hockey media to care about the Panthers? So they can chase players away and routinely get things wrong for the sake of being wrong? Also, I'm from New York, so I wouldn't have a small market chip on my should anyway.
I mean have you heard of Gretzky? These players were Selke candidates and all star defensemen. Not 4th line forwards. I wasn't alive for Maurice Richard, but I know who he was.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I mean have you heard of Gretzky? These players were Selke candidates and all star defensemen. Not 4th line forwards. I wasn't alive for Maurice Richard, but I know who he was.
Don't get into it with him. He knows who they are. He has a Canada vs USA agenda. He'll go so far as to claim he doesn't know who four classic American players are, just so he can say nobody wants to play in Western Canada.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I consider myself a pretty big hockey fan, but I'm not into the history of hockey enough to know who random all stars and first line forwards were from before my time.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Don't get into it with him. He knows who they are. He has a Canada vs USA agenda. He'll go so far as to claim he doesn't know who four classic American players are, just so he can say nobody wants to play in Western Canada.
I don't know where you're getting this from tbh. I don't give a shit about international hockey, which is I guess why I'm not familiar with "four classic American players." A couple of months ago, some Americans on here were whining about me not being familiar with Troy Terry because it's apparently sacrilege to not follow the World Juniors.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know where you're getting this from tbh. I don't give a shit about international hockey, which is I guess why I'm not familiar with "four classic American players." A couple of months ago, some Americans on here were whining about me not being familiar with Troy Terry because it's apparently sacrilege to not follow the World Juniors.
Troy Terry is a top 10 goal scorer in the NHL. On pace for 45 goals for the Ducks this year. Not much of a hockey fan period I guess.

Reactions: Hobnobs

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Exactly. We don't have to...
Yup. You're paying him for 4 more years not to play for you. Meanwhile the guy you traded to us is playing very well. It fact he'd be your 5th leading goal scorer, toughest guy and best hitter. Somehow this is a win for you? #oilerfanlogic

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yup. You're paying him for 4 more years not to play for you. Meanwhile the guy you traded to us is playing very well. It fact he'd be your 5th leading goal scorer, toughest guy and best hitter. Somehow this is a win for you? #oilerfanlogic

Just enjoy my friend

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Gaudreau is in striking distance of the Art Ross now. Anything under $10 million is beginning to look like a discount. Really just hope the Flames get him on maximum term.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Well yeah, if he goes to the Market for 7 years he will get at least 10M, if he signs for 8 years in Calgary it could definitely be below 9M
If Calgary can get him below nine, Treliving truly is a wizard.

The dream should be to re-sign Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Mangiapane but move Monahan.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Calgary can get him below nine, Treliving truly is a wizard.

The dream should be to re-sign Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Mangiapane but move Monahan.
Nah, he is a wizard if he can move Monahan. Dude is worse than ruzicka and has negative value now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad