In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know we're all in the shock phase and not thinking totally rationally, but I would support giving Columbus the 13th overall pick in the draft next year and just having 33 picks in the 1st round. Obviously they keep their other 1st.
I think that falls under "nice and well-meaning but impractical and potentially troublesome down the road".

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I posted this on our board and I feel like it’s important enough for everyone to read if they want. Again to the mods, I post this with zero malicious intent.

So I don’t remember how to tag people on the site but to Viqsi, CBJWerenski and DSL I swear to you this post is not meant to upset or offend anyone. I haven’t been posting in a long time but I go way, way, way back on this site and I hope you guys remember my character well enough to know I would never do that. I just have I think something of a unique perspective about this topic and want to help spread some awareness. But if y’all feel it’s inappropriate at this time let me know.

I work in the death care industry. Every day I work with families who have lost someone and they are now the ones responsible for making the final arrangements, often not knowing anything about that person’s wishes.

Just hours after hearing the news about Johnny and Matt on Friday I sat with a family who had lost their young son and brother very unexpectedly. They had already gone to the funeral home the day before and I helped them pick out a cemetery space and design his headstone. We’d previously had some preliminary discussions about burial vs cremation and ultimately they chose burial. Their son had made no indications one way or the other prior to his passing, and honestly probably had never even considered it. I certainly hadn’t at his age. I obviously know nothing about Johnny and Matt but this may be the very scenario their family is going through right now.

My point is that although it’s a tough topic it’s so important to think about it and have a discussion with your loved ones. This is going to be one of the worst days of their lives and knowing that they can help fulfill your wishes really does ease the smallest of burdens. Even if you’re young. At least think about the basics and get it in writing.

Ok soap box put away and thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I posted this on our board and I feel like it’s important enough for everyone to read if they want. Again to the mods, I post this with zero malicious intent.
It's excellent advice. Things like wills and life insurance – we don't want to think about them or pay for them, but having them in place saves loved ones so much stress.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I know we're all in the shock phase and not thinking totally rationally, but I would support giving Columbus the 13th overall pick in the draft next year and just having 33 picks in the 1st round. Obviously they keep their other 1st.

I couldn’t possibly disagree with you more. For so many reasons not of the least of those being how would you like to be that kid that is picked there?

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

LaCarriere

I'm a Jackets fan and I don't think that's the right move. Some things just have to suck. There's no consolation.

The Jackets need an exemption from the cap floor that they just fell under with Gaudreau's death. That's about it.
Exactly. I'm assuming floor relief would have to be given, you can't just expect them to go out and trade or sign one (or several guys) to match his 10m AAV for the sake of making the floor.

Maybe limit what they get in revenue sharing until they become floor compliant again? That's maybe the fairest thing to do without forcing them to artificially beef up their salary, or forcing them to trade assets for established talent on expensive deals, assuming there's even a deal to be made at this point of the offseason.

Reactions: Hollowmoon

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
I feel terrible for the Gaudreau family. I know from personal experience what it's like to lose a family member due to a cycling accident. You don't ever truly get over something like that.

It's going to be rough for the Jackets' players as well. They're a pretty young lineup, so I can imagine the loss of Gaudreau would hit them hard. It''s tough for the management too, who all of a sudden have to find a winger just to reach the floor, with not that much time before training camp. There's a couple of wingers still available in free agency (JVR, Pacioretty), so a vet like that could help with mentoring and reaching the floor, while still providing useful service on the ice and not costing an asset.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Why the 13th pick? Just curious

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It would be cool if they added a “fake” pick where Columbus could draft Matthew and then keep #13 in memory of both. But keep it as a fake pick without disrupting the real draft order

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Still just can't believe it.... 😔

Johnny was the guy to bring the excitement back into Flames hockey after Iginla.

Gaudreau is forever a legend in Calgary.
It felt like we were on the verge of that in Columbus. Bringing Monahan back to reunite with Johnny. I said it on the CBJ board, but we never truly got to see any of Johnny bromance with others in Columbus and he was just really starting to come out of his shell and with Monahan joining the team I feel like we were just getting ready to see some greatness between them both on and off the ice. Guys like KJ literally looked up to Johnny as a role model growing up and now he was essentially primed to play second string behind him.

Hopefully they keep his stall in the locker room with his name on it. It's going to be impossible for someone to come in and fill the void left in that room.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly. I'm assuming floor relief would have to be given, you can't just expect them to go out and trade or sign one (or several guys) to match his 10m AAV for the sake of making the floor.

Maybe limit what they get in revenue sharing until they become floor compliant again? That's maybe the fairest thing to do without forcing them to artificially beef up their salary, or forcing them to trade assets for established talent on expensive deals, assuming there's even a deal to be made at this point of the offseason.

I think they should be exempted from the cap floor for the full year.

Though practically speaking I expect they'll rise above it regardless at the deadline, perhaps sooner. They only need to spend about $3m to reach the floor so maybe they just want to give that much to Pacioretty or someone like that. He can be a good voice even if he can't play much.

LaCarriere

Would it be safe to assume that pretty much every team is going to have a moment of silence for the Gaudreau brothers in their home openers?
I think the responsible thing to do is run anything by the league and family, and maybe give them time to grieve. Home openers are like a month away. They maybe don't want a constant reminder thru the entire season with jersey ceremonies, every team doing their own thing opening night or when they play Calgary/cbj. I'm sure nearly everyone involved in the league will be at either the funerals or visitation

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

On the hockey side of things, CBJ will need to add a legit NHL roster player. Either via trade or signing. With regards to the salary cap floor, there are players who are on LTIR that they could acquire to reach the floor. Tucker Poolman in Van, Oshie and Backstrom from Wash, and if RyJo wins his grievance from Phi, these 4 are in the final year of their contracts, unlike Price, Weber, Ellis, who will still be on LTIR moving forward.

In regards to money, just never know family to family on how their relationship is. They may be tight or they may have had a falling out.

Funerals, most people don't even think about theirs until they at least have a kid (at least a will when they have kids to ensure custody of children). Some things you just need to make a decision on, just a burial/cremation, selecting the location, headstone, date, etc. and it will be taken care of. Others will require effort from the family such as informing family and friends, putting together photos for a video (gathering film ones is the hardest part), etc.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just horrible beyond words. I feel to terrible....And especially for their family. Legit hurts.
Absolutely. Felt sick to my stomach and heartbroken ever since hearing about this devastating news, like countless others around the world. Forget the fact that Johhny was a very good hockey player.

It is the way his life tragically ended along with his brother thanks to some lunatic who was driving drunk, a day before his sister's wedding day. In addition, you had Johnny's brother expecting a child in a few months. The whole story is beyond tragic and it is completely shocking.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He debuted against the Canucks & scored in his first game IIRC, right away you could see he was a special player. A magician with the puck, one of the best talents in the league.

Just devastating news, when it was first reported I felt sick to my stomach & was praying it wasn't true. Leaving behind a young family is heartbreaking.. gone far too soon. RIP Johnny & Matthew.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Why? She has no obligation to financially support them. She is going to be going through a life long ordeal and the mental trauma attached to what has happened. I am sure she may help but it’s not her primary burden.
If she asked what would Johnny want - I think she would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad