In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I would be pretty dissapointed if gaudreau’s wife didn’t help out in a huge way financially to Matthew’s family
I get that, but there shouldn’t be an expectation that a family member supports another family member just because they are wealthy. Go Fund me for Matthew’s wife and family seems pretty reasonable

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
When I first read the title and laid eyes on finding out, my brain thought “Johnny gaudreau’s brother passes away”. It was so shocking to me being a hockey fan my brain couldn’t even comprehend the Johnny gaudreau part…really a shocking tragedy in the hockey/sports world.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
When I first read the title and laid eyes on finding out, my brain thought “Johnny gaudreau’s brother passes away”. It was so shocking to me being a hockey fan my brain couldn’t even comprehend the Johnny gaudreau part…really a shocking tragedy in the hockey/sports world.
Same reaction as me.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As a poster said earlier, it might be hard to watch highlight reels at this time. But I felt like this gave a good glimpse of Johnny Hockey the player with CBJ.

The positive of being a public figure and star athlete in this case is after this unimaginable tragedy, his young children and nieces and nephews with have many interviews and videos like this where they can get to know him and have his presence that way.

As someone who unfortunately lost quite a few people close to me including 2 brothers in their 20’s I can say that it’s a blessing to have videos and clips. Just hearing their voice and seeing how they were gives a sense of comfort. Obviously it’s no substitute but I’m glad his children will have these.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
My condolences to all the great fans in Calgary and Columbus. And mostly to the Philly/ NJ area. He was one of our own. He grew up with a Flyers jersey on. See his photos. He was an important part of the community in that area. I hope all can gain a little peace knowing he was a great player and person, as well as his brother. A tremendous loss . May God watch over them

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
He debuted against the Canucks & scored in his first game IIRC, right away you could see he was a special player. A magician with the puck, one of the best talents in the league.

Just devastating news, when it was first reported I felt sick to my stomach & was praying it wasn't true. Leaving behind a young family is heartbreaking.. gone far too soon. RIP Johnny & Matthew.
he was calgarys version of patrick kane everytime i saw him play . shifty little guy.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm against renaming current awards/trophies but definitely think the NHL should bring in a new trophy to honour Johnny.

I'll leave it up to greater minds than mine to determine the qualifications.

I think we'll see USA hockey and college hockey also bring in a trophy honouring both Johnny and Matthew.

It's still so hard to accept, on the eve of their sisters wedding, two brothers, very family oriented, loving and supportive parents and siblings. Johnny becoming one of the elite players despite his physical size.

But no one knew it was the size of his heart, desire, and love of the game that would propel him to greatness.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Johnny’s number should be retired in Calgary and Columbus.

His pure talent was top 5 in the league and he made the league accessible for smaller players. Perhaps the most talented player to ever play in Calgary.

The driver….well… I’m curious to see the actual sentencing. What he deserves and what he gets may diverge significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Awful.

I saw the headline talking about how Johnny will be remembered and thought "He retired early." When I read the article, I was sad to hear it was so much worse than that.

I hate drunk drivers.

My best to the families of both Gaudreau brothers.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Just occurred to me, probably mentioned in these many pages.

Horrible tragedies in Columbus continue. Really terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad