In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Will Johnny Gaudreau’s family be paid out the rest of his contract? I gather that he’ll likely be off the salary cap due to his death, but surely that won’t be the end of the payments. Athletes have died still while playing in the past and having long term contracts. Is it standard procedure for an owner to still pay it out?
Insurance and I’m sure they (all parties involved) will figure it out.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Additionally...renaming the Lady Byng trophy would be a MAJOR disrespect to Viscount Byng of Vimy who donated it in honour of his wife.

These aren't just the NHLs trophies to rename.
Was Lester B Pearson's legacy tarnished by retiring it and making the new version the Ted Lindsay?

No. So this shouldn't either. She donated it because she enjoyed the gentlemanly aspect of the game, Johnny Gaudreau embodied it as a player his entire life. I think it's honouring why she donated it by naming it after someone that embodied the essence of what the trophy means and I'm sure if there was ever a vote, it'd be unanimous by the NHLPA and the Owners and Execs.

To be mad about it or against it shows how little anyone understood what any of this meant.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Insurance and I’m sure they (all parties involved) will figure it out.

Yes they will. There is a special part of all contracts that cover a sudden passing. It has been there for awhile. Also the contract is insured as well. So it sounds like it wont be the team paying it our but the insurer

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is just so tragic. The story is so awful and senseless and the guy who did it, based on the description of events, sounds like a really ignorant dipshit.

I keep feeling devastated by the news, then I go to some other area of my life and forget about hockey stuff, then a friend mentions it or I look up a hockey thing again and am struck anew by just how sad and senseless this is.

This is such a reminder to make use of the sacred gift that you received through the random chance of life's lottery. Do something with it that will leave you at peace when the time comes.

It really hasn't set in. Like how could Johnny Hockey just be gone like that?

I always knew the day would come when I wouldn't be able to cheer on my favorite player anymore. I just didn't expect it so soon.
I saw a comment you made in another thread and it reminded me how much I knew you loved Johnny.

I have (playfully) gone at you a few times for overrating him compared to other players, or bringing him up when he isn't strictly relevant to a thread topic. I think I said, 'find someone who loves you like Whiskey love Johnny Gaudreau'. I never meant it as more than hockey forum banter, and I respect your intelligence as a poster.
But this transcends all of that and you're sort of in my thoughts too.

I'm devastated by the loss of Gaudreau as a superstar in the NHL, a member of the hockey community, and most importantly, as a human being. But he's your favorite player (and I think you sort of know him maybe?) and that adds a personally sacred level to this for you.

My thoughts go out to Johnny and Matthew and everyone who loved them as family, friends, and fans.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Was Lester B Pearson's legacy tarnished by retiring it and making the new version the Ted Lindsay?

No. So this shouldn't either. She donated it because she enjoyed the gentlemanly aspect of the game, Johnny Gaudreau embodied it as a player his entire life. I think it's honouring why she donated it by naming it after someone that embodied the essence of what the trophy means and I'm sure if there was ever a vote, it'd be unanimous by the NHLPA and the Owners and Execs.

To be mad about it or against it shows how little anyone understood what any of this meant.

Who's mad? Don't project. Just saying it isn't theirs to just up and rename. That is a statement of fact, not emotion.

The LBP was the NHLPAs to rename. They introduced it and there was no cultural significance to the league for the naming; it was originally named to honour a politician.

He had no historical attachment to the league or the trophy.

Apples and oranges.

I understand the emotion and the desire to honour Johnny and am absoluyely not opposed in him being honoured in some way....but in a way dedicated to him and not at the expense of someone elses honouring.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Expert

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Has anyone heard anything about a public memorial service?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Why? She has no obligation to financially support them. She is going to be going through a life long ordeal and the mental trauma attached to what has happened. I am sure she may help but it’s not her primary burden.
Yes, there's zero obligation but it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: T1K

LaCarriere

You know what really sucks? There’s no way states or the fed gov will ever impose harsher penalties on DD because of how much money the liquor industry brings in. Bars wouldn’t want it either because people would, you know, actually drink less. they could always make parking free and rideshare Pennies on the dollar but again these companies that profit would never go for it.
Bartenders and establishments should be 100% accountable to not over serve. Hockey games cut off service in the 3rd period, baseball after the 7th inning in most cases. Can people sneak booze in, or get loaded before a game, absolutely, but that's where security steps in also.

If you're a bartender at a local bar, you most likely know who shows up with a vehicle, and who tends to over consume. Should that bartender not be responsible or accountable to not over-serve? That kid in Detroit's parents got charged with involuntary manslaughter when their kid, a minor, took an unsecured gun and shot up his school. How is a bartender who knowingly overserves a customer and watches them get into their car not crossing into the legal realm of "reckless endangerment"? What if this guy left a bar after getting loaded, the bartender knew he was driving, and then killed the Gaudreau brothers? The bartender or establishment should hold no responsibility?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Bartenders and establishments should be 100% accountable to not over serve. Hockey games cut off service in the 3rd period, baseball after the 7th inning in most cases. Can people sneak booze in, or get loaded before a game, absolutely, but that's where security steps in also.

If you're a bartender at a local bar, you most likely know who shows up with a vehicle, and who tends to over consume. Should that bartender not be responsible or accountable to not over-serve? That kid in Detroit's parents got charged with involuntary manslaughter when their kid, a minor, took an unsecured gun and shot up his school. How is a bartender who knowingly overserves a customer and watches them get into their car not crossing into the legal realm of "reckless endangerment"? What if this guy left a bar after getting loaded, the bartender knew he was driving, and then killed the Gaudreau brothers? The bartender or establishment should hold no responsibility?
They're called dram shop laws, and nearly all states have some form of them in the US. Not all of them are particularly strict and proving liability can be pretty tricky, but these laws do exist. New Jersey's seem to be fairly broad in what they cover, though I only did a little bit of reading about theirs and I'm not a lawyer.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018

I was a bartender several decades ago in Chicago and actually went to a school for it. It was hammered into us that we were never to serve someone who was intoxicated. We and the establishment could both be held legally responsible. I doubt that has changed since then.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As somebody who needed to setup a gofund me when I went through cancer, believe me, every little bit helps. I'm still behind some of those outrageous bills.

This is on a much different scale. If something like a donation can even ease the pain or financial situation for somebody else, who are we to judge that. Johnny's brother didn't have Johnny's money.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
What makes this even more difficult and depressing is that Johnny was such an outstanding person. When you think about individuals blessed with that much talent they are for the most part self serving and egotistical. Johnny had all the talent most people never attain but was more concerned about his family and friends without sacrificing his abilities.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Why? She has no obligation to financially support them. She is going to be going through a life long ordeal and the mental trauma attached to what has happened. I am sure she may help but it’s not her primary burden.
Because it’s family and she has more money than anyone really needs.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I know we're all in the shock phase and not thinking totally rationally, but I would support giving Columbus the 13th overall pick in the draft next year and just having 33 picks in the 1st round. Obviously they keep their other 1st.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know we're all in the shock phase and not thinking totally rationally, but I would support giving Columbus the 13th overall pick in the draft next year and just having 33 picks in the 1st round. Obviously they keep their other 1st.

I'm a Jackets fan and I don't think that's the right move. Some things just have to suck. There's no consolation.

The Jackets need an exemption from the cap floor that they just fell under with Gaudreau's death. That's about it.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This hasn’t been done for past players who have passed away, wouldn’t be a good time to start now.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Because it’s family and she has more money than anyone really needs.

That's how it should work, but in reality you see tons of examples of people who already are well off squabbling over money with relatives who need it far more.

Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case here, but my wife's best friend just got through an ugly inheritance situation where the multimillionaire sibling basically tried to screw the rest of the family who are living paycheck to paycheck out of the deceased parents' estate. Greed often has very little to do with "need."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad