In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Genius post.

Not alot of places that have capital punishment for anything other than first degree (premeditated) murder. Which is of course a good thing.

That there is capital punishment anywhere is a bad thing.
It is certainly a better deterrent than giving murderers parole and letting them live in Halfway houses.

I don't think a death sentence is necessary. But a life sentence without parole would be a suitable punishment for crimes such as this.

Reactions: Devonator

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I think regardless of whether anyone would like that kind of sentence in any state, the alcohol will work to mitigate the intent element needed to get a very lengthy sentence.
I agree that’s likely how it will play out. And honestly I think it’s kind of f***ed up because to me, the alcohol doesn’t mitigate intent, it proves it. Drinking and driving is basically the same as saying “I’m perfectly fine with innocent people dying as a result of my selfish entitled douchebaggery”. If that doesn’t represent a callous and intentional endangerment of other people’s lives, then I don’t know what does.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Sorta found the gofundme in bad taste, whoever organized it. I understand nobody is forced to donate, but the guy made over 60M in his career, financially his family is better off than 99.9% of the rest of the world.
Yeah about 1 in 15/20K people have that kind of net worth.

A go fund me is very distasteful. Sure the family has nothing to do with it so clearly not on them.

People would be much better off spending their money on anti-drunk driving lobby groups, among many other noble causes.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Oh yeah, certainly. I was just speaking on a people level. Like I'd be surprised/it'd be weird if Matthew Gaudreau's widow/kids won't be taken care of by the rest of the family if need be.

Unfortunately it's not always the case. I remember years ago a football player died, and his wife got his 7 figure bonus money and insurance, while cutting off the player's mother and leaving her with nothing. Sad, but it happens.

Reactions: Devonator

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It is certainly a better deterrent than giving murderers parole and letting them live in Halfway houses.

I don't think a death sentence is necessary. But a life sentence without parole would be a suitable punishment for crimes such as this.
Show me compelling data that harsher sentences or the death penalty is a deterrent... you wont be able to.
They are simply revenge. Which you may support. But don't call it deterrence.

What does deter people is a higher chance of getting caught. There is well supported data for this.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I googled a few cases just now and there's some where there's no jail time at all.
Yes, and that seems ludicrous to me.
Guy I grew up with killed someone in collision while impaired.
1987. Even back then he got 5 years prison time. First offence. Did three and was released. Is now a successful professor in Toronto area college. Speaks around the province for MADD and other organizations.
He was never the same though. Lost his "zest" as far as I could see.
How anyone could get no jail time is beyond me.

Last edited:

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fear of being locked up for life if caught is a deterrent.

It may not be enough of a reason for some to not drink and drive. But a black and white, harsh punishment is instituted, it does help to deter.

Look at the harsh drug policies of a country like Korea. They dont mess around with that stuff and drugs are basically nowhere to found.

There are definitely drugs all over Korea, just like any other place on the planet.

I remember reading an article a while ago detailing the massive popularity of meth there.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Fear of being locked up for life if caught is a deterrent.

It may not be enough of a reason for some to not drink and drive. But a black and white, harsh punishment is instituted, it does help to deter.

Look at the harsh drug policies of a country like Korea. They dont mess around with that stuff and drugs are basically nowhere to found.

Statistics show that it is the chance of being caught that is the deterrent not the harshness of the penalty.

Korea has both, but global data indicates that it's not the severe punishment that is effective.

Scandinavian countries have the lowest resitivism rates without as severe punishments. They focus in rehabilitation.

It's pretty clear that vigilant enforcement and a focus on rehabilitation is the best data driven solution to crime.

It also happens to align with my moral intuition.

Also, drugs should.be considered a mental health issue, not a criminal one but that's another issue.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I never said all crimes. We're talking about the bad ones. The ones where innocent people get killed by pathetic drunk drivers, and families get destroyed forever.

Another example...People slinging fentanyl for profit, knowing how deadly and addicitive it is, dont deserve chance after chance. Easy bail doesnt work. North America is a crapshow right now because of lenient sentencing.

Not all people deserve a second chance. Thats a snowflake attitude. And many violent criminals dont feel that they need "rehab".

Its a harsh stance, but one rooted in reality.
It's a stupid stance. And one that is completely ineffective.

First, if you are talking about drunk drivers you have to remember about half men admit to having done it. It's safe to assume many more have and won't admit to it.

The fact that they have not killed anyone while doing it is pure chance.

Under your definition the majority of people could be locked up forever or judicially killed. That seems problematic.

FYI north America does not have lenient sentencing compared to other developed countries - it's actually mid/high.

People who cannot be rehabilitated are mentally ill, like psychopaths and sociopaths. That's a medical issue where they may need to be institutionalised for their safety and the safety of others.

I'd submit that all other could be rehabilitated and it should be our practical and moral imperative to do so.

I'm no snowflake. I think that we should invest heavily into the policing of crimes and have much higher conviction rates. I just think that once convicted we should follow a data driven approach and focus on rehabilitation.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
There are definitely drugs all over Korea, just like any other place on the planet.

I remember reading an article a while ago detailing the massive popularity of meth there.
There is a black market for drugs everywhere. There always will be.

But they also have harsh punishments for possession and trafficking. And you will be very hard pressed to ever see somebody openly using there.

I go there every year and it is a dofferenr world compared to Vancouver

What people cjokse to do behind closed doors that isnt hurting anybody else is their business.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
All players will have excellent insurance. I also imagine the family will be well supported by the NHL and NHLPA.

Not that any sum can replace the loss of a husband, son and father.
He has played for what, 8, maybe 10 years? More than enough money for his family to be fine for life. It sickened me that people were doing a gofundme for them.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Moment of silence and then Johnny Hockey chants before the MLS Red Bulls game tonight...

20240831_193432.jpg

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Arguably, Pelle Lindbergh, who was the most recent name on the trophy named for Vezina when Lindbergh died in 1985.

Tim Horton, while no longer in his prime and 44 years young might be the best known. Terry Sawchuk too. Charlie Gardiner in 1934. Howie Morenz was at the end of his career. Gardiner was right in his prime I would say. Won his only Stanley Cup and then died. Gaudreau is among them.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
1725150507156.png

This is a very sad picture, because by the looks of it that is a birthday for Gaudreau and it is 31. I knew he turned 31 in 2024 but didn't know when. So I looked it up. Dang, it was August 13th. That picture is probably right on that day, two weeks before he dies. That is a heartbreaking picture, because neither of those kids will ever know their dad and it might be the last picture they are in with him. Looks like such a happy moment too, and two weeks later it wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad