In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I always make the joke that if they ever decide to put a checkpoint at the exit of a golf course, 50% of people would be in jail.

Seems like drinking and driving under some circumstances are widely "accepted"

Yep, if they did a check stop outside an NHL arena (where I live) they would bust hundreds for DUI. However, that would look bad so it’s never done, bad for business, can’t have that.

Like I said, our society pretends to take drinking and driving seriously.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Yeah unfortunately not really practical to start renaming things every time a beloved athlete passes.

I think without a doubt all teams should wear patches on their jerseys this year. That feels like the bare minimum. Not sure about jersey retirement, I'll leave that discussion to CBJ and CGY fans. I'd like to see a bit more done this season to honor him, I'm just not totally sure what that looks like.

I don't think all teams will do it, but possibly the Flames and Jackets will do it for the year. I can see that. I would say opening game every team might have a moment of silence. They even had it at Yankee Stadium.

Additionally...renaming the Lady Byng trophy would be a MAJOR disrespect to Viscount Byng of Vimy who donated it in honour of his wife.

These aren't just the NHLs trophies to rename.

Exactly, it does have some strong roots to it. It goes beyond the whole thing of "Well it was just the Governor General's wife who donated it". It is literally named after him who fought in Vimy Ridge. Even in 2024 with everything unfortunately being all the rage to rename things that are apparently better, it isn't better. Gaudreau will long be remembered as it is, not just as a player but because of this tragedy. If Wayne Gretzky won it 5 times and they didn't rename it after him then I don't think anyone else will have it named after them. Frank Boucher won it a record 7 times and they didn't rename it after him. Mike Bossy three times, and there are tons of legendary players that won this...........Pavel Datsyuk 4 times in a row! So you get it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1989

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Pleading guilty does not result in max sentences.
Lawyer? Im not saying plea deal. I'm saying this POS just pleads guilty and accepts his punishment. Pretty the judge has the discretion to give him the max. Send a message. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the last time.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My wife told me about this a few minutes ago.

It is a terrible tragedy that two men were killed. Johnny and his brother Matthew both added something to the game of hockey as well as to their families and community.

I had a co-worker and friend who was run over while biking about 15 years ago. In his case, the driver had a seizure and hit him from behind. There must have been 100 people at the funeral and another 100 for the visitation. My friend was active in his community and profession, like the Gaudreau brothers. It is always a tragedy to lose such a person years before their time should be up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The last thing I'm gonna do, obviously, is comment on or judge a new widow for how she deals with her tragic loss on social media.

And maybe it's just me, but having seen or read quite a number of grieving reactions on (social) media after high-profile tragedies over the last couple of years I can't help but notice a tendency for people to uphold a kind of positivity at least in public way too early. And it's not even just this case.

As if it were somehow not allowed to show real despair or grief in public. Of course a social media persona is one thing and grief is something extremely personal. So it may make sense to separate the two. But still.

I mean even I am f***ing devastated and I didn't even know the two men. I can't imagine what it must feel like for the families.

So again, maybe it's just me. And I have no conclusion or answer here, it just feels kind of incongruent to me to see tribute family fotos and inspirational words so soon after the tragedy. Maybe it's a US culture thing?
Grief and depression is easy when you're in a situation like this; no need to spread more of it as it's self-supplying. Positivity and reasons to go on are what are in short supply, and so that's what one would be more motivated to share.

That and sharing one's grief makes one vulnerable, and I can easily see why one would want to avoid doing that when one is a semipublic figure at a time of horrible tragedy. It'll be shared with friends and family, but not in something the whole Internet can see.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
RIP JOHNNY N MATT !
also , ive no idea if they were wearing high visibilty apparel . or if this has already been brought up this thread . but i see so many bikers and motorcyclist clothing which doesnt make them more visible to drivers and im thinking at least wear a floresent vest which is always easy to throw on over any oufit because todays roads are full of disfunctional drivers

Many people have focused on the visibility of the Gaudreau's when they were killed but the car in front saw them and was moving over to the left to pass them when the drunk driver behind them passed on the right and mowed them down.

They were not killed due to a lack of being seen. They were killed by a drunk driver making an unsafe move.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The murderer had been charged with DWI back in 2005 but the cop who arrested him failed to show up in court and they dismissed the charges

"Higgins was previously arrested for driving while intoxicated in Cumberland County. WRAL Data Trackers found Higgins was charged with DWI in 2005, but the case was dismissed because the law enforcement officer didn't show up for court. Higgins also had a speeding ticket dismissed in Cumberland County in 2001 because he had a good driving record."

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
What an unimaginable tragedy. I don't want this to be "too soon" or insensitive but will his family get the remainder of his contract? Will CBJ get the cap relief?

I'll be listening to his episodes again this week from spittin chiclets. Heartbreaking
Does anyone know the answer to this? Obviously his contract is fully guaranteed and more than likely insured so his family will see the money. But what about the Jackets? Does his contract just become LTIR? Has the NHL ever had to figure out this type of situation before?

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’d imagine his cap hit is struck off the books. Obviously though it’s a massive loss on the ice.
For a team that can ill afford it. It feels a little too soon to discuss this, and I apologize for any unintended offense, but this sets the club back at least 2 years.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I've been wary of self driving tech, but I fear it's the only way to really prevent stuff like this from happening. As my boys near the age when they'll be out there on the roads themselves, I worry about all the reckless drivers I see every day.

If the Jackets and/or Flames open the first shift of the season with only 4 skaters I'm gonna absolutely lose it.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will Johnny Gaudreau’s family be paid out the rest of his contract? I gather that he’ll likely be off the salary cap due to his death, but surely that won’t be the end of the payments. Athletes have died still while playing in the past and having long term contracts. Is it standard procedure for an owner to still pay it out?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Will Johnny Gaudreau’s family be paid out the rest of his contract? I gather that he’ll likely be off the salary cap due to his death, but surely that won’t be the end of the payments. Athletes have died still while playing in the past and having long term contracts. Is it standard procedure for an owner to still pay it out?

All players will have excellent insurance. I also imagine the family will be well supported by the NHL and NHLPA.

Not that any sum can replace the loss of a husband, son and father.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad