In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Is the BAC limit in North America really still 0.08%? I’ve been in Australia last 15 years so just been used to 0.05, assumed other places had come to their senses.

Hopefully some change and awareness can come out of this tragic event. Your planning changes drastically when you know you can only have 2 drinks before being illegal behind the wheel, either you skip it all together or organize DDs or Ubers.

I saw a 90% reduction in the after work/sporting event drinkers pushing the boundaries coming here from Calgary and they have check stops everywhere

I can promise you that lowering the limit won’t help. People regularly drink and drive over the current limit, they would continue to do so over any other limit.

Adjusting the extremely lenient punishments for DUIs are, in my opinion, a better avenue for curtailing this behavior.

There is no excuse for drinking and driving, ever.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Does anyone have a picture or a diagram on how this tragedy happened? I’m still confused on how he apparently tried to pass the car on the left but then swerved over to right in such a crazy manner

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Does anyone have a picture or a diagram on how this tragedy happened? I’m still confused on how he apparently tried to pass the car on the left but then swerved over to right in such a crazy manner
He wanted to pass the car illegally on the left and when the car in front of him went wide into the other lane to pass the Gaudreaus safely, this guy went full road rage and thought they were trying to stop him from his illegal over take so he decided to pass them on the right instead...and the rest is sadly history.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There have been some posted earlier in the thread, but ultimately what happened is the drunk guy tried to pass two vehicles by pulling into the oncoming lane of traffic.

He cleared the first vehicle and then as he approached the second vehicle it moved into the middle of the road to allow a safe clearance space for the Gaudreaus.

The drunk guy had no time for such stuff though, so he swerved back into the lane and tried to pass the other car on the inside and hit the Gaudreaus from behind.

Reactions: behemolari

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I explained the scenario at a point in a previous post somewhere in the last 10 pages or so. This image depicts exactly what I described.

View attachment 904183
Black SUV turns into the left to pass while speeding, White car at around the same time moves to the left lane to move out of the way of the Gaudreaus', Black SUV then tries to pass on the right instead of breaking and collides with the Gaudreaus' on the shoulder hitting them from behind.

The attachment has the diagram of the accident.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
What an absolute tragedy. To both Brothers and the loved ones they've left behind, my deepest condolences. Life is a ride and we're all on borrowed time.

Can't even begin to fathom what the Gaudreau's are going through right now. So sad😔

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Been to a ton of sporting events and watched guys go up and down for beers all game long. I’m sure many are heading to their car as soon as the game is over, yet, I have never seen a check stop outside one of these events. Wonder why?

Society gives a lot of lip service to drinking and driving. That’s all it is, lip service. The penalties need to be extremely harsh, even when no one is injured.

Condolences to the Gaudreau family.
I always make the joke that if they ever decide to put a checkpoint at the exit of a golf course, 50% of people would be in jail.

Seems like drinking and driving under some circumstances are widely "accepted"

Reactions: luiginb

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Any truth that the pos driver was an off duty COP? No confirmation so far but that's not information they'd share outright. f*** him either way

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
In UK they are handing out 2 years for offensive memes, here we can't jail drunks and texters?

30 days mandatory jail first offense and one year driving ban.

1 year mandatory second offense and 5 year driving ban

5 years for third offense and lifetime driving ban

I don't care if they need their car for a job. Two man just died because one ahole never paid the price of his reckless decisions. There tens of thousands more out there.
Not sure "jailing people for memes" is a good benchmark lol

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The guy who murdered Johnny and Matthew was more upset he had to stay in jail over the holiday weekend than he was for what he did. Even deep sighing after the judge told him. Throw every charge and enhancement at him.

Also, I hope the prosecution files a motion to seal everything bc sadly, people have zero respect these days and
Will leak shit for clicks and 15 minutes of fame.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Reactions: CBJx614

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Any truth that the pos driver was an off duty COP? No confirmation so far but that's not information they'd share outright. f*** him either way
I saw that but the source was the Daily Mail which is a trashy gossip site from the UK who loves to post delicious click bait. I’d take it with a grain of salt. If true, he’s even more of a pos.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I feel for his family. My condolences to his wife, parents and family members. No chid should die before a parent, they lost two. My heart goes out them. This tragedy will never heal for his family. I feel sick to my stomach. Heaven has added two more hockey players to their team. Rest in peace

Reactions: Tofveve

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I always make the joke that if they ever decide to put a checkpoint at the exit of a golf course, 50% of people would be in jail.

Seems like drinking and driving under some circumstances are widely "accepted"

Sadly DUIs are also significant money makers for states. Fines for 1st, 2nd, 3rd offenses add up quickly.
Cracking down and requiring jail time for 1st offenses would overflow our jails and cost the state an arm and a leg; at least that's the case where I live.
Then there's the alcohol industry's lobbying efforts. They've spent $541 million over the past 20 years.
The whole thing is gross.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
I saw that but the source was the Daily Mail which is a trashy gossip site from the UK who loves to post delicious click bait. I’d take it with a grain of salt. If true, he’s even more of a pos.
Not gonna post it but the side-by-side photos of the proffesional portrait and mugshot line up pretty well as well as both people sharing the same name + middle initial. Aweful coincidence. I hate to speculate and drag an innocent man into this but at the same time I know COPS will cover for their own.

The "eye-roll" was enough for me to understand what was going on. It's a dirty, dirty world.

Reactions: Alicat

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Sadly DUIs are also significant money makers for states. Fines for 1st, 2nd, 3rd offenses add up quickly.
Cracking down and requiring jail time for 1st offenses would overflow our jails and cost the state an arm and a leg; at least that's the case where I live.
Then there's the alcohol industry's lobbying efforts. They've spent $541 million over the past 20 years.
The whole thing is gross.
Only 8 states in the US don't require some jail time for a first offense DUI in which no injurious wreck was caused. Pennsylvania may have the most lenient sentencing for a first offense if the chart is was looking at is correct. No minimum jail time, $300 fine, no license revocation, and mandatory interlock only if the person refused a chemical test.

Still, the vast majority of states do require a minimum jail sentence for a first time DUI even without a wreck being caused.

• Wow
Reactions: D Wakaluk

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I can promise you that lowering the limit won’t help. People regularly drink and drive over the current limit, they would continue to do so over any other limit.

Adjusting the extremely lenient punishments for DUIs are, in my opinion, a better avenue for curtailing this behavior.

There is no excuse for drinking and driving, ever.
Can promise you it will, have seen it first hand. Won’t change the 10% idiots but change the culture

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I just saw the video of the judge reading the defendants charges, and he faces a maximum of 10 yrs for 2nd degree vehicular homicide, he is charged with 2 counts. So a worse case scenario for him would be 20 yrs, maybe 10 yrs if the sentences run concurrently.

i doubt this even goes to trial. my guess is he will plea out.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The guy who murdered Johnny and Matthew was more upset he had to stay in jail over the holiday weekend than he was for what he did. Even deep sighing after the judge told him. Throw every charge and enhancement at him.

Also, I hope the prosecution files a motion to seal everything bc sadly, people have zero respect these days and
Will leak shit for clicks and 15 minutes of fame.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

this is a high profile case, I doubt it will be sealed. Plus the DA will want the public's support on this. But I hear you, people are assholes when it comes to cases like these. We don't need to see the horrific photos.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How this thread turned into people arguing who is at fault in just about 40 pages is insane and says alot about our culture.

Here's a post.

RIP Boys, I'm thinking of your family today and I'm so sorry this happened. So undeserved and devastating.
This is so accurate.
Condolences to Mattthew and Johnnys families and friends :cbj:flames

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
This is such a shocking and tragic story. It must be so difficult for Johnny and Matthew's families; I can't even imagine the pain they're going through. I never followed his teams closely but Johnny seemed like such a good, positive guy and I never heard a bad word about him from anyone. I'm sure he had a lot more to give in the NHL and certainly in life. What a shame.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Only 8 states in the US don't require some jail time for a first offense DUI in which no injurious wreck was caused. Pennsylvania may have the most lenient sentencing for a first offense if the chart is was looking at is correct. No minimum jail time, $300 fine, no license revocation, and mandatory interlock only if the person refused a chemical test.

Still, the vast majority of states do require a minimum jail sentence for a first time DUI even without a wreck being caused.

Required jail time just gives prosecutors wiggle room. But most judges hand down suspended sentences to first-time offenders.

Our jails would be massively overcrowded otherwise. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around one million arrests are made in the U.S. yearly for driving while impaired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad