In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This isn't the older days where you can't get an uber or something with a click of the button on your phone. If you own a car + can go out and get a drink (if it is 1) then you can afford an uber home. Personal responsibility for other people in society needs to start be a thing again
With all due respect, that's just not realistic, lol. And it has nothing to do with personal responsibility either.

For example, based on your thinking/suggestion, people who go to a sporting event and have had even just 1 drink have to take an Uber home. In some cases as well, the ticket to get in is a lot cheaper than what an Uber home would cost.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Johnny was apparently only a block and a half way from reaching his parents place. Geez, it was the matter of a few minutes and he would still be here today. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Geez, every new little update just gets worse and worse.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the more details that come out the worse it gets.

maybe the driver didnt see them at night.. nope.

maybe he only had one drink.. nope.

maybe the driver had to veer right to avoid an accident with the other car... nope.

just a dude who drank way too much and went way too fast. he deserves whatever the give him on this one.

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
Who's that jackass?

Just move the bucket and quit whining. Dude in full tantrum mode instead of making a simple fix.

It's a graphic/overlay. Not something he can reach out and touch. (It's not obvious, so if it sounds like I'm getting on your case about it, that's not my goal!)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not really a time to play blame game so close to it happening but I can see why minds go to that immediately and comment. Awful time for their family and prayers to them. Terrible.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Gaudreaus have absolutely no fault in this accident, the only thing "at fault" here is the asshole driver and the general messed up driver culture in this country. But you can pragmatically look at those and reasonably say "the lesson for cyclists is to bike as far away from cars as you can" while not blaming the Gaudreaus for the accident.

That's not the lesson here. This is the same as "she was asking for it" because of the clothes she was wearing.

The lesson is that we have to fight harder for stricter laws and penalties for those who endanger others with their motor vehicles.

What's next? Are you going to say that kids should opt for home schooling so they don't get killed by school shooters?

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
It’s not necessarily a victim blame.

Biking rural roads at night is like walking through a dark urban park at night. Regardless of whether it should be as safe as broad daylight, on a practical level you’re going to encounter different dangers.
I see you are getting flamed already, but I thought I'd chime on this as I am a cyclist and I had a similar thought process after I heard what happened to Johnny Hockey.

From my house to the train station, it's a 2 hour walk, or 20 minutes bike ride. A good chunk of that ride is a rural road.

When I come back from Montreal past 9PM, there is no bus option anymore from the train to "nearish" my house, so I bike. I have strong lights on my bike, but it's true that there are different dangers, not just cars. I always bike really slow when on that dark road since I fell (in daylight) because I didn't brake fast enough to avoid a crack in the road. It's too narrow and cars often go at 80+ in this 50 km/h zone.

This terrible news today makes me question this bike ride in the future. Roads aren't safe enough the way they are made for bikers at night on country roads. It should be, but it just isn't. I might spend the 15$ for the taxi ride next time, even though I try biking as often as I can.

It should be the other way around. Dangerous drivers should be the ones spending 15$ everytime they take that road, since they are the ones making it more dangerous.

The risk is even worse for a pedestrian, since they don't have lights most of the time and their ride is way longer, so they meet more cars on the same ride.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yup. It's also a lot easier as a cyclist to avoid hitting a pedestrian. Much greater sight lines, much more control of a tiny bike, and much slower speeds than a vehicle.

The first half of your post is bang on btw.
Eh as a frequent pedestrian around cities, cyclists absolutely can be a menace given that some of them buzz along at speeds close to vehicle traffic. If a cyclist hit a 4 year old on a sidewalk, the comments would go in the completely opposite direction. When a cyclist gets hit on the road, we can go "well if only there was a sidewalk", if a pedestrian gets hit on a sidewalk, well they've got nowhere else to go.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With all due respect, that's just not realistic, lol. And it has nothing to do with personal responsibility either.

Easy, have car manufacturers grandfather in breathalyzers that allow your engine to start or not if there's any alcohol in someone's system. Just saying it's not realistic is just passing the buck.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
god i f***ing hate this car culture bullshit where everything else can't have easy f***ing access to roads

I don’t ride my bike on the roads, I would rather be alive than right.

For both bicycles and motorcycles, the operator is the crumple zone.

Thankfully there is a wealth of biking infrastructure in Ottawa. Just my personal choice.

Reactions: JKG33

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I was hoping it was a hoax. Local news was saying the guy tried to pass another car on the right when that car moved left to make room for the brothers. On the eve of their sister's wedding. It's Lifetime levels of tragedy. The family must be inconsolable. There's nothing any of us can say here that will alleviate that.
Which meant the POS aggressively swerved to the right and must have stomped on the gas. That, to me, is the only way he could have built up that much speed to kill two bikers. Again, I don't know the physics nor was I there, just what it sounds like to me.

Regardless the moment he got behind the wheel after that much booze he was immediately a shitbag who deserved jail time regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
The vehicular homicide laws are pretty lax, doubt he spends all that much time behind bars considering what he's done.
I'm not a lawyer, or American, but this was a quick google search for New Jersey Car Murder.

Now x 2.

Says the family can pursue a a wrongful death claim in civil court as well.

Death by auto is a second degree crime punishable by up to 10 years in state prison and a fine up to $200,000. The driver will also be required to serve 85% of his sentence before he is eligible for parole.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Been thinking about this all morning. We oilers fans were always in heated rivalry with flames and this guy when he was on flames. Seems really surreal now hearing this.

R.I.P please start putting drunk drivers in prison for very long times.

Reactions: King'sPawn

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
No one is victim blaming if their opinion is that biking at night on a rural road is dangerous. But we also shouldnt judge people for decisions that aren't unethical, morally wrong or against the law.
They need to read the f***ing room.

These are the kinds of people who show up at a BLM protest saying "all lives matter".

Yes, obviously, all lives matter, but that's not the f***ing point.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's a graphic/overlay. Not something he can reach out and touch. (It's not obvious, so if it sounds like I'm getting on your case about it, that's not my goal!)

No offense taken, wasn't aware it was just a graphic.......still a pretty dumb decision to have it there under the circumstances but now I see how my post wouldn't really help either.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

For example, based on your thinking/suggestion, people who go to a sporting event and have had even just 1 drink have to take an Uber home. In some cases as well, the ticket to get in is a lot cheaper than what an Uber home would cost.

I go to Devils games from NYC on the train which is a far longer commute when I want to drink and when I don't, I drive. Or I have my brother drive if it comes to that. Stop with the excuses man lol

Reactions: dukeofjive

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Easy, have car manufacturers grandfather in breathalyzers that allow your engine to start or not if there's any alcohol in someone's system. Just saying it's not realistic is just passing the buck.
I also updated my initial post with an example below my first paragraph from your thinking of taking an Uber home after 1 drink.

Regarding this, I'm not necessarily against this. My only issue would be what happens if the car for some reason flags you as having had alcohol when you didn't at all? And some people take mouthwash that has traces of alcohol in it, what happens in a situation like that?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not easy to start the car even if you were sober but I understand where you're getting at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad