In Memoriam Johnny Gaudreau & Matthew Gaudreau killed by drunk driver while cycling (MOD WARNING. No Flaming, Trolling, or Politics.)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I hope someday we can get to a point where biking on roads is safe for everyone, but most of our roads aren't designed for that, especially in rural areas. I blame society, as we've kinda come to normalize the idea that roads should be shared. They should be, but that entails them being designed and built to be, and they simply aren't. We shouldn't have normalized that idea so quickly when so many of our roads aren't up to par.
That is just complete bullshit. Your roads are definitely up to par for cyclists. What isn't up to par is your driving habits, drivers education and overall attitude. This is coming from a northern european who has spent months in north america and closely observed the driving culture around europe, asia and north america.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
That is just complete bullshit. Your roads are definitely up to par for cyclists. What isn't up to par is your driving habits, drivers education and overall attitude. This is coming from a northern european who has spent months in north america and closely observed the driving culture around europe, asia and north america.
DING DING DING

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I'm also no lawyer, but there's the possibility that if/when he is sentenced it could be concurrent rather than consecutive and they may not give him the full 10 years. Even if it's the max and consecutive, 20 years really isn't all that much for killing two people, and completely turning the world upside for the friends/families involved.
For sure.
I'm just assuming, but being drunk, trying to pass on the right. There's lots to argue max.

Either way, won't bring them back. :(

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Where do we have HIS lawyer chiming in? We do not have the entire picture--we do have the cops and DA building a slam dunk case. Before the statements given was his rights read to him. Did he suffer any injuries at the time of the accident that could have affected his mind--like a concussion? I was in an accident a few years ago and suffered a concussion that caused me some harm. Has the doctors released the drivers medical results.

So no we do not have all the information. We have only one side
Does someone have a gun to your head posting this? Who in their right mind wakes up in a hurry to defend a drunk driver who killed two people

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This is all my opinion, but the way I view how harsh the punishment is that ultimately he took a life because of his actions, albeit it wasn't purposefully taking a life. So therefor off the hop, if he intended to then it should be 1 for 1 for life in prison, but because it wasn't intentional, I reduce that to half of what the decent portion of life should be so approximately 30 years (60 good years of life), then on top of that he was also negligent by purposefully drinking and driving, so you automatically get an extra 10.

So 40 years, but can be reduced to 30 if shown great remorse and being a good person whilst in prison. That way if you get out, you can at least do something and it isn't a full life punishment, but also if you get out people can't say he got away with something.

But as I said before, my guess is he gets 5 years and gets out in 3.
What about Matthew?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Most european drivers suck too though. Especially france and italy. But north europe is probably better.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Where do we have HIS lawyer chiming in? We do not have the entire picture--we do have the cops and DA building a slam dunk case. Before the statements given was his rights read to him. Did he suffer any injuries at the time of the accident that could have affected his mind--like a concussion? I was in an accident a few years ago and suffered a concussion that caused me some harm. Has the doctors released the drivers medical results.

So no we do not have all the information. We have only one side

Hello Mr. Higgins, didn't know they let folks use HFBoards in the slammer.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
For what it's worth, know I'm with you on this.

To try and clarify what I THINK some others are trying to say, though - I listen to a few true crime podcasts and one host is a former detective named Paul Holes. He brought up a salient point that muddies these discussions sometimes. It's the importance of conducting risk assessment to improve survivability chances, even though sometimes people step over and make it sound like victim blaming.

I haven't read all of the thread, so I'm sure I missed out on some comments. But hopefully the reasonable people can acknowledge the blame goes on the drunk driver. And, ultimately, the Gaudreaus are victims of that drunk driving.

I also want to minimize the risk of future bicyclists, like you and others, by emphasizing steps that can be taken to improve your chances. I believe you know those steps. But others may not. And even if none of the precautionary steps are taken, let's be clear it's still the drunk driver's fault.

Hopefully that makes sense. And hopefully that helps some who were trying to make the distinction but struggling to find the words.
I guess what you are trying to say is, if I tell my kid not to go with strangers it's not because I blame the previous kids that have been kidnapped, but more that I'm trying to put a system in place where they recognize in the future that there could be danger in such situation.

Reactions: King'sPawn

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
put me in the minority and believing everything the police is the complete truth from the word go is a bad position to be in. This is an international news item and large headache.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think you understand it either if you think the safest way to bike is to simply not bike.

Where did I ever say that?

My original post was:

The lesson for cyclists to take away here is that drivers are aggressive assholes that give no regards for the safety of cyclists on the road. Biking away from cars is just safer than biking near cars, because drivers don't respect cyclists, pedestrians and even other drivers in this country.

The lesson here is something every bicyclist already knows: avoid high traffic roads or roads without supportive bike infrastructure (like the road this accident happened on) and try to bike as much as possible on trails, sidewalks or low-traffic roads.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
He should definitely do some prison time but if a crime isn’t predatory I’ll all about a chance at reformation. It was an extremely dangerous and stupid mistake he made but I don’t think he should rot in prison. If he’s a normal person this will haunt him for the rest of his life. He shouldn’t be able to get a license for a while and even if he does there should be restrictions. Also if I was in his shoes I’d never drink again

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Holy hell…what a tragedy. Completely devastating loss and 100% avoidable. What unspeakable grief one selfish person’s actions have caused.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, what obligation do the Jackets have to pay his remaining contract? His family would certainly benefit from the payout of the remaining guaranteed contract; but Columbus would seemingly have an out due to this unthinkable and unexpected loss, right?

Yikes. What a shit thing to hear today. RIP Gaudreau boys.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What a terrible tragedy. I'm actually in a bit of shock right now. Always liked him as a player, but this is beyond whatever he was on the ice. All I can think about is his (and his brother's) poor family right now.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think people might be overstating the "it was night time, bad time to be biking!" thing ... sounds like this happened around 6-7PM New Jersey time? Wouldn't the sun still be out at that time?

This dude just made a horrible choice (well two of them, being drunk and driving and then deciding to try and pass a car), and now he's completely changed the lives of the Gaudreau family. Such an awful tragedy.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I'm not a lawyer, or American, but this was a quick google search for New Jersey Car Murder.

Now x 2.

Says the family can pursue a a wrongful death claim in civil court as well.

Death by auto is a second degree crime punishable by up to 10 years in state prison and a fine up to $200,000. The driver will also be required to serve 85% of his sentence before he is eligible for parole.
The real problem is not the lack of punishment when someone is killed, it’s the lack of punishment when someone is not killed.

Aggressive disregard for the lives of other on the road should be treated no differently than assault or terroristic threats.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Holy hell…what a tragedy. Completely devastating loss and 100% avoidable. What unspeakable grief one selfish person’s actions have caused.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, what obligation do the Jackets have to pay his remaining contract? His family would certainly benefit from the payout of the remaining guaranteed contract; but Columbus would seemingly have an out due to this unthinkable and unexpected loss, right?

Yikes. What a shit thing to hear today. RIP Gaudreau boys.
I'd imagine there are some insurance policies in place for Johnny as well as the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad