Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Remove the salary cap and I think they'd still have a hard time retaining a lot of American players.
And what about the Spezza's of the world back in the day? Born and raised in Canada. The cap is a lie and it's time to let go of the parity myth.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because the goal is to win the cup. Calgary was in 1st place and there was no way they were trading Gaudreau.

Imagine if Colorado traded Kadri because they didn’t want to lose him for nothing.
Kadri isn't a franchise forward. Doesn't drive the offense and doesn't put butts in the seats.

Calgary going into that season didn't expect anything. They were an average roster that started slow. And it's been rumored that Gaudreau would walk for years.

When you're speaking specifically about long-term success of a franchise, losing an asset of that significance with zero compensation is the largest step back you can take.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
View attachment 568157View attachment 568158View attachment 568159
3 different parts of Western Canada, 2 could be visited on a day trip from Calgary, the 3rd would need to be a weekend trip. You might want to go back to whatever geography class you flunked and try again.

1657684519741.jpeg

Totally, I mean who would want to live 45 minutes away from this?

Loud streets full of sidewalks with garbage all over the place, high crime rates, and small overpriced apartments beat this though amirite?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Nicest way one can possibly put this but…

If you have a choice of being closer to your family and being a multimillionaire..

I would assume Calgary is pretty far down the list of places these guys want to be.
Have you visited the city? I've been to plenty of NHL cities and Calgary is world class. There is a ton of Oil and Gas wealth here and you are 45 minutes from the rocky mountains.

Reactions: snipes

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Depends what you are into. I personally rather the mountain and fresh apposed to smoke, smug and high crime but hey thats just me.

Let's be honest nowhere in Canada has a real crime problem(at least comparing it to the States). I actually am surprised that most the worst cities in Canada per capita are like cities that are 100-250k, all the biggies don't even rate that high.

All I know is I live in Thunder Bay and we generally have one of the highest murders per capitas in the country and I feel safe and not in some war zone

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Third best place to live in the world according to rankings.

But he is from Philly so no hard feelings. I don't think it was solely his decision either.

I think Guadreau could care less about world rankings on where to live.
Guys from Northeast US, if he wants to move there by all means he has the right since he's a free agent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
New Yorker here who took a trip out to those parts in October 2019 and I can say that Lake Louise (and the surrounding area) is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Of course that's rarely a reason for a professional athlete to want to sign in any city, but to call Western Canada "frozen tundra" is just standard uninformed internet trolling by someone hiding behind a keyboard.
Moraine Lake is more beautiful IMO. Agree otherwise.

Reactions: periferal

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This is much to Calgary than it is Edmonton isn't it? :laugh:
No. Edmonton is about 3 hours from Jasper. It's a 40 minute drive to Canmore and an hour to Banff from Calgary.

About the same time it takes the average torontonian to drive 10km on the 401

Reactions: BahlDeep

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Calgary is a fantastic city. No doubt.

It‘s a world class city in pretty much every measurable way, literally one of the best cities in the world to live in.

The mountains 45 minutes away never cease to be breathtaking.

Philadelphia isn’t even close to comparable to Calgary as a city.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think this is what will happen. The fans and media are going to expect Gaudreau to get 100 points and he won't because the team isn't good. Gaudreau is not going to help the team if he is not scoring, so immediately after one year the fans and media will turn on him. They might give him 2 years, but he is never going to repeat this past year and after two years the fans and media will bemoan the awful contract.

I suppose if Ellis comes back healthy and Risto and Hayes have a transformation under Torts, the team might make the playoffs, but this roster is nowhere close to a Cup contender. Everything will have to be perfect for this team to make the playoffs.

I think Fletcher will be given a promotion in the organization where he can be a part of the sick and twisted ruling class of Clark and Holmgren where they are intent to see the team fail, apparently, since all they do is kil lthe team's future.
Well unfortunately for most Flyers fans until they get rid of Clarke, Holmgren and Fletcher nothing will change. The Flyers organization went downhill when their owner Ed Snider passed away and Dave Scott & Comcast took over. The Flyers fanbase is tough and expects hard work so if Gaudreau signs with them he'll find out the hard way. As for Ellis I truly believe he's done and will end up on LTIR because his hip isn't great and he's unable to play, another brilliant trade by Fletcher. This is the main reason after 45 years as a fan I don't have much interest in following this team too closely but will keep tabs on them periodically, it's because I'm done with Fletcher. Thank god for the NFL starting up soon. I'll cross my fingers that the Flyers don't sign Gaudreau.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Have you visited the city? I've been to plenty of NHL cities and Calgary is world class. There is a ton of Oil and Gas wealth here and you are 45 minutes from the rocky mountains.

To a multi millionaire having the choice to pick where they want to live, I can almost promise you, Calgary is not a place high on a large majority of peoples lists.

Reactions: Devonator

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No. Edmonton is about 3 hours from Jasper. It's a 40 minute drive to Canmore and an hour to Banff from Calgary.

About the same time it takes the average torontonian to drive 10km on the 401

Oh Jasper. Thought you were talking about Lake Louise which is actually the one we hear more about from over there.

Actually the opposite, if you want to go to scenic parks, there's a lot less traffic going that way from Toronto. Like Niagra Falls/Niagra Glen Park/Tobermory/Algonquin Park is closer to Toronto than any of these to EDM/Calgary. It's driving into the city where there's traffic.

But I mean the population speaks. The vast majority of the people and businesses pick Toronto/Vancouver over Edmonton/Calgary.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It‘s a world class city in pretty much every measurable way, literally one of the best cities in the world to live in.

The mountains 45 minutes away never cease to be breathtaking.

Philadelphia isn’t even close to comparable to Calgary as a city.
Agree, actually wouldn't mind moving there one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad