Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Man, what a kick in the nads for CGY fans. They now lost Iginla for nothing, Giordano for nothing, Brodie for nothing, and now Gaudreau for nothing....

Reactions: Devonator

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why teams do this to themselves. Players are assets and long-term success is far more valuable than 'chasing a dream'.

The Edmonton Oilers post-2006 were the perfect example of that after they lost Chris Pronger. And they traded him!

When it gets to the point where Leon and Connor get to their UFA years, I want our management to push for extensions. It's necessary, because you can't lose that asset for nothing. It's horrible optics and damaging for morale.
Because the goal is to win the cup. Calgary was in 1st place and there was no way they were trading Gaudreau.

Imagine if Colorado traded Kadri because they didn’t want to lose him for nothing.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Man, what a kick in the nads for CGY fans. They now lost Iginla for nothing, Giordano for nothing, Brodie for nothing, and now Gaudreau for nothing....
And Kipprusoff for nothing. He easily could have been traded at the deadline to a contender two years prior to him retiring. Rumoured at the time him going to the Leafs but it fell off at the deadline.

Reactions: Devonator

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Nicest way one can possibly put this but…

If you have a choice of being closer to your family and being a multimillionaire..

I would assume Calgary is pretty far down the list of places these guys want to be.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Because the goal is to win the cup. Calgary was in 1st place and there was no way they were trading Gaudreau.

Imagine if Colorado traded Kadri because they didn’t want to lose him for nothing.
I watched the Rangers Trade their heart and soul player, and Captain in Ryan Callahan on his walk year while we were in first place and still went to the finals. Granted, we got a future HOFer in return, but it still happened.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Caught this late. I'd seen LeBrun's "test the market" tweet, but not Seravalli's "he's not coming back no matter what" one.

If Seravalli's take on the situation is accurate and he's done no matter what... ow. Feel bad for Flames fans. :(
Barring some dramatic change, it's pretty obvious he's gone if he doesn't sign by 12am EST tonight, which we are 31 minutes away from. No way he's walking away from that 8th year. Same thing that made Tavares not signing with the Isles pretty obvious once that deadline passed.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

If you have a choice of being closer to your family and being a multimillionaire..

I would assume Calgary is pretty far down the list of places these guys want to be.
At the end of the day it's still Western Canada, it's farm land and frozen tundra.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

Third best place to live in the world according to rankings.

But he is from Philly so no hard feelings. I don't think it was solely his decision either.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Treliving is a gullible GM. He just assumed that Gaudreau would instantly resign but instead Gaudreau kicked him in the nuts by ignoring his offer on the table for weeks and then declining it hours before free agency. Ouch, talk about getting burned hard.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

But he is from Philly so no hard feelings. I don't think it was solely his decision either.

Yeah you would need to post those rankings because almost all of them are opinion related.

Not sure who in their right mind that was a multi millionaire would want to be there.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
This has happened to every team, not just Calgary.

We've practically lost Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Kadri, JVR for nothing. If you're going to mention a 35 year old iginla being lost for nothing - that's just false, he got a 1st. If you're considering that, we also lost Kessel for nothing

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Treliving is a gullible GM. He just assumed that Gaudreau would instantly resign but instead Gaudreau kicked him in the nuts by ignoring his offer on the table for weeks and then declining it hours before free agency. Ouch, talk about getting burned hard.
Lol if he ignored the offer for weeks, Treliving should have taken the hint.

But it sounds like Gaudreau had not made his mind up until today.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
This is why as a long time Flyers fan I hope Fletcher doesn't sign Gaudreau but unfortunately that's probably what is going to happen. Fletcher is useless as a GM and is totally going to screw the Flyers for years to come. I pray that the Flyers have a shitty year coming up and Fletcher gets fired.
I think this is what will happen. The fans and media are going to expect Gaudreau to get 100 points and he won't because the team isn't good. Gaudreau is not going to help the team if he is not scoring, so immediately after one year the fans and media will turn on him. They might give him 2 years, but he is never going to repeat this past year and after two years the fans and media will bemoan the awful contract.

I suppose if Ellis comes back healthy and Risto and Hayes have a transformation under Torts, the team might make the playoffs, but this roster is nowhere close to a Cup contender. Everything will have to be perfect for this team to make the playoffs.

I think Fletcher will be given a promotion in the organization where he can be a part of the sick and twisted ruling class of Clark and Holmgren where they are intent to see the team fail, apparently, since all they do is kil lthe team's future.

Reactions: wetcoast

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Those rankings tend to favor cities that are favorable to the middle/working class and the average citizen, and obviously, Canada's social safety net boosts our cities relative to the United States (Toronto and Vancouver always score high, but the price of real estate is starting to be felt). When you get top-end health care coverage through work, pay for your kids to go to the best private schools, and you can eat at the best restaurants, it's an entirely different equation. What makes a city good for people making good money and are upper-middle-class, and what makes it great for people making high 7 figures a year are dramatically different.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Blame anyone you want...

Just make sure you blame the Flames front office first and most.

When a player has been in your franchise for a decade and can't commit the moment he's allowed to resign, that player needs to be traded immediately. You can't go on faith that a player as valuable as Gaudreau can walk for nothing.

Yet here we are.

You'd have to be in denial or just don't get it to be a Flames fan right now and not wish you could go back in time and trade Gaudreau for a few top assets to help fill the massive hole he's leaving.

Reactions: VainGretzky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad