Johnny Gaudreau, brother Matthew pass away after being struck by drunk driver in Salem County, NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
vehicles need to be traveling not near as fast as one might think to have catastrophic outcomes when colliding with people outside of vehicles.

shit, even the modern giant ass trucks and suvs, especially the ones with batteries in them, are incredibly galling for the disregard of the wellbeing for every single living thing outside of their metal walls.

People really do have this mindset like their car is some safe indestructible steel fortress. I've got thousands of photos (for work, I'm not a weirdo) of crashes showing how thoroughly untrue that is. They drive without regard for others because they don't realize they're having no regard for themselves.

And watch enough cars get cracked open to pull the human contents out and you stop seeing them as anonymous machines competing with you for road space.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
People really do have this mindset like their car is some safe indestructible steel fortress. I've got thousands of photos (for work, I'm not a weirdo) of crashes showing how thoroughly untrue that is. They drive without regard for others because they don't realize they're having no regard for themselves.

And watch enough cars get cracked open to pull the human contents out and you stop seeing them as anonymous machines competing with you for road space.
Are you an insurance guy? My brother is for progressive lol

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
vehicles need to be traveling not near as fast as one might think to have catastrophic outcomes when colliding with people outside of vehicles.

shit, even the modern giant ass trucks and suvs, especially the ones with batteries in them, are incredibly galling for the disregard of the wellbeing for every single living thing outside of their metal walls.

Oh for sure, I ride a motorcycle I know how slow you can be going and still get killed. I was more commenting on the fact that JG and his brother were probably going 20-25 km in the same direction as these cars as opposed to the opposite direction. Makes the driver look even worse.

Reactions: kudymen

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just take an Uber. Even on the lower end of outcomes it’s not worth it to drink & drive. It’s like a $20-50 ride if you’re relatively local.

Ah never mind after reading details probably wasn’t just alcohol. I was assuming the person just got obliterated & had no idea what he was doing. It sounds like he might have done it even if sober.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The amount of spelling errors including Gaudreau and other things make me believe this can’t possibly be real but…

E938239E-1809-41C7-8DCA-2BA4309A45B0.jpeg

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019

i believe marketing to be at least a concrete thing to point at that explains part of the genesis of that mindset.

a vehicle is not a means to get from a-b: it is a luxury oasis, it is an entertainment center, it is a spa and a massage, it is the one place in your miserable existence where you are in FULL CONTROL of your surroundings, it is speed, and sport, and personality.

the anonymity is a huge component in antisocial road behavior, i mean even untinted windows go a long way towards safety because theres actual eye contact!

the competition for roadspace and ire towards "traffic" is always so funny to me, bruh you ARE the traffic lol.

Last edited:

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
The Mrs read that people are putting their sticks out on their front door/porch, so hers is out. Put yours out too. It will be an If You Know, You Know thing.

Reactions: trostol

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’ve got a personal story, with something similar happening to a family member this last winter.

I know there would be pushback, but a built in breathalyzer before ignition… I dunno.

If we can put people on the moon, and such then there could be a way.

Have to feel for their spouses/kids.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
What a terrible tragedy. The poor family and sister that was about to be married today. Unimaginable. A cruel life we live some times.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’ve got a personal story, with something similar happening to a family member this last winter.

I know there would be pushback, but a built in breathalyzer before ignition… I dunno.

If we can put people on the moon, and such then there could be a way.

Have to feel for their spouses/kids.

I got an underage drinking charge when I was like 18. Part of the punishment essentially was going to this alcohol class & community service. Upon completion they toss the charge. The place mistakenly mixed me in with DUI offenders for the class. It was quite an experience.

The one dude had that device in his car. He just took somebody else’s car to get around it. He was like a 50 something year old dude just full of excuses.

• Wow
Reactions: Devonator and pit

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Get used to jail, shitsack.

I got an underage drinking charge when I was like 18. Part of the punishment essentially was going to this alcohol class & community service. Upon completion they toss the charge. The place mistakenly mixed me in with DUI offenders for the class. It was quite an experience.

The one dude had that device in his car. He just took somebody else’s car to get around it. He was like a 50 something year old dude just full of excuses.

In the hockey league i play in, there's a guy who played for a team sponsored by a bar and by 2012 the guy had 6 DUI's and was in the local newspaper. I haven't seen him in probably 5-6 years...I don't understand how as a society we can allow people to get 6 DUI's. Jail time is one thing but we've got to do a better job of treating these people.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Driving home from work today I pulled up at a red light behind somebody with an "I Break For Bikes" bumper sticker. I'm glad I saw it at a light because I had to take a second to compose myself.

Absolutely terrible. I can't even imagine what their family is going though right now. I hope the shitsack who hit them never sees the light of day again.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah that dude is f***ed. You killed a public figure, there’s zero chance they don’t throw the book at you.
If it was the other way around the famous/wealthy person probably winds up serving less time than this guy will though.... (although for many crimes that's also the case in our two-tiered legal system)

The Raiders WR was going like 160 and killed a woman who then burned to death in her car with her dog and he got 3 to 10. He's currently in a minimum security prison working in the governor's mansion most days while accumulating credit towards his probation.

That Eagles executive in the late 90s/early 2000s had a wife who committed a hit and run in Jersey and killed a guy who was changing a flat tire. She tried to cover it up after the fact as well. Ended up with less than 1 year.

Not going to feel sorry at all for this guy having the book thrown at him, but I think that should happen just as severely when its a celebrity/wealthy person killing one of us 'normies'.

I think anytime someone drives under the influence it's attempted murder, they're just lucky nothing happened.

Shoot enough bullets into the air in a neighborhood and eventually one will land and hit someone.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If it was the other way around the famous/wealthy person probably winds up serving less time than this guy will though.... (although for many crimes that's also the case in our two-tiered legal system)

The Raiders WR was going like 160 and killed a woman who then burned to death in her car with her dog and he got 3 to 10. He's currently in a minimum security prison working in the governor's mansion most days while accumulating credit towards his probation.

That Eagles executive in the late 90s/early 2000s had a wife who committed a hit and run in Jersey and killed a guy who was changing a flat tire. She tried to cover it up after the fact as well. Ended up with less than 1 year.

Not going to feel sorry at all for the guy having the book thrown at him, but I think that should happen more severely when its a celebrity/wealthy person killing one of us 'normies'.

It’s on the public though too. They outcry more for Johnny Gaudreau than they often would for the regular person. So this is an easy PR win for that court system to hammer this guy in that sense too.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This dude my uncle used to work with & he still keeps in contact with every once in while. This guy ultimately ended up doing 3 years in PA state prison for accumulating up too many DUI’s. I don’t know his overall number he’s definitely over double digit in total but some of them were in NJ. So not sure how many it actually took him in PA for them to just put him prison. But that’s ultimately just the times he got caught & somehow miraculously he never seriously hurt anybody or worse. I think he hit a few a parked cars & hurt himself a few times but never anything serious. So I’m guessing that’s how he kept getting away with it. He’d do some like monthly sentences in between there too in county jails.

The dude is ultimately clean now & has been for a decade now. He don't drive but not sure if that’s by choice or legal reasons. But it’s wild nonetheless he got that many chances.

Reactions: Tripod and VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad