Johnny Gaudreau, brother Matthew pass away after being struck by drunk driver in Salem County, NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This may actually be a failing of the actual driving laws too.

If anyone here has ever taken 347 or I think 49 (47 doesn’t have it) to the southern shore points in NJ, it is probably similar to that, one lane each way, where there is the solid and broken yellow lines where the road doesn’t curve - you’re allowed to pass in the oncoming lane. I’ve never done it myself, but have seen it a number of times on 347. This guy probably did the same thing countless times without a second thought. He was pissed off the other driver was going too slow when he was simply being respectful to cyclists in front of him.

Yeh, where my parents live is actually very similar road wise (but hillier) and I have overtaken occasionally in the other lane... but can only really imagine how reckless and fast he has to have been going to hit them...

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Yeh, but to cut back under a car on such a road is madness... I have no idea how he kept 4 wheels on the tarmac given the streetview there if another car was in the middle of the road giving the Gaudreau's space.
This area has to have the highest amount of asshole drivers per capita in the US if not the world. I see shit like the above scenario on a frequent basis while driving. Just flat out reckless driving and passing all to get somewhere a minute or two earlier. I'm honestly surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently with the aggressive asshole mentality so many people in this area have. It's definitely gotten worse since Covid too.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have absolutely no words here.. I cannot fathom this. When I saw the headline on CZ news, I thought it was a mistake. I am unable to imagine what are these days for their families, also given the fact about their sister's wedding... I am so sorry

Furthermore, when I read the description of the events how they occurred, it made no sense to me. The whole sequence is beyond reckless if I am imagining it at least a bit correctly. As @Appleyard mentioned re: the speed limit, it is difficult for me to imagine how does a vehicle under those circumstances kill two people. How fast would one have to go during this maneuver to kill one, let alone two?

He has to have been going - odds wise - 40+ at a minimum, more likely 50+. To somehow hit them fully from behind as well despite a car behind them slowing down and being more in the middle of the road? I mean... it is actually hard to imagine despite being both a cyclist and driver who rides and drives similar small country lanes regularly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just saw the news...what an awful thing for the family to have time deal with on a weekend that was supposed to be a celebration.

Driver better get what he deserves.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Prayers to the family and more so their sister who was supposed to have the best day of her life this weekend.
Makes you sick to think about

This area has to have the highest amount of asshole drivers per capita in the US if not the world. I see shit like the above scenario on a frequent basis while driving. Just flat out reckless driving and passing all to get somewhere a minute or two earlier. I'm honestly surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more frequently with the aggressive asshole mentality so many people in this area have. It's definitely gotten worse since Covid too.

After just driving back and forth from Myrtle Beach, It seems to be everywhere. People have no regard for other people.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Seems like the car in front was trying to protect them from how I am reading it.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
He has to have been going - odds wise - 40+ at a minimum, more likely 50+. To somehow hit them fully from behind as well despite a car behind them slowing down and being more in the middle of the road? I mean... it is actually hard to imagine despite being both a cyclist and driver who rides and drives similar small country lanes regularly.

So much the last sentence in your quote. Given the circumstances, road width, number of vehicles in question, number of moving bicycles... I struggle to imagine how fast / hard the impact had to be to impact two cyclists. Insanity. And selfishness

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Like, who in their right mind UNDERTAKES on a single lane road when a car is straddling the centre lane....

overtaking in southbound lane (on the left) yeh, fine, understandable, everyone does it.

Basically flirting with road limits/putting wheels in dirt/close to dirt to get past someone on the wrong side? What the hell. It makes no sense and is just endangering yourself even if no-one is there. If he even kept his wheels on the tarmac has to have been by milimetres.

NO road user in a country that drives on the right expects a car to overtake them on the right side unless on a motorway/freeway (or you are turning left and enough space, that is fine ofc usually), even the other driver was endangered by this.

Last edited:

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

He got mad that he thought the car in front of him was cutting him off from passing and wanted to be an asshole about it.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. He thought (if you want to call it thinking) that the person in the SUV was "being a dick" and not letting him pass illegally.

There is an area a couple minutes from me where I've been passed many times in no passing areas by people who just have to get there 90 seconds quicker. It's also an area with a lot of cyclists. Never saw anyone try it on the right side though.

So stupid and senseless. Makes it that much worse.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I just read the details of the incident and that is just f***ing ridiculous. f***. That. Guy.

Took 2 upstanding young men from us. Tragic

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was driving in a 25 mph zone just yesterday coming up on three cyclists on the widest single lane road and was still scared of clipping one. Could only imagine driving on a road like that with bikers.

He got mad that he thought the car in front of him was cutting him off from passing and wanted to be an asshole about it.

Typical NJ/Philly driver behavior. I’m just surprised it wasn’t a little guy in a pickup truck. So many hardos out there. Just drive normal you freaks.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I was driving in a 25 mph zone just yesterday coming up on three cyclists on the widest single lane road and was still scared of clipping one. Could only imagine driving on a road like that with bikers.

Typical NJ/Philly driver behavior. I’m just surprised it wasn’t a little guy in a pickup truck. So many hardos out there. Just drive normal you freaks.

It’s terrifying on this island in the summer to the point where I just don’t go out much unless I can avoid downtown. Giant SUVs and trucks parked so close to the corners you can’t see anything coming. Open warfare between cars, cyclists, and pedestrians. And this is a dry island. I know it’s worse in other shore towns.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Absolutely gutted. :( I went to bed hoping to wake up to confirmation that Tim Peel jumped the gun on bad information.

Unimaginable tragedy for a family preparing to celebrate one of life's happiest moments.

Gaudreau was always one of my favourite players to root for, as we're about the same size. The league's set up now for smaller guys to succeed, but it brings me joy when a player of Gaudreau's caliber flourishes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It’s terrifying on this island in the summer to the point where I just don’t go out much unless I can avoid downtown. Giant SUVs and trucks parked so close to the corners you can’t see anything coming. Open warfare between cars, cyclists, and pedestrians. And this is a dry island. I know it’s worse in other shore towns.

I’ve had close calls just walking on side walks in remote areas of Voorhees. Drivers do not yield for pedestrians. I’d say 10 percent actually yield. Idiots just plowing through stop signs. One dude last week was racing me to a crosswalk. It’s nuts.

Not victim blaming but if you’re walking or riding a bike, you have to be very vigilant and avoid potential problem areas. Too many idiots out there.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeh, but to cut back under a car on such a road is madness... I have no idea how he kept 4 wheels on the tarmac given the streetview there if another car was in the middle of the road giving the Gaudreau's space.
Where he lives and where this occured is the middle of nowhere, even for here. Nobody respects road laws out that way, and nobody enforces any either because there's hardly anyone down there. f***ing unbelievable

Reactions: Appleyard

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017

Yup, that was my first thought when I read the description. Asshole thought the other car was trying to cut him off from passing, so decided to be a complete :eek::eek::eek::eek: and try to pass on the shoulder

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where he lives and where this occured is the middle of nowhere, even for here. Nobody respects road laws out that way, and nobody enforces any either because there's hardly anyone down there. f***ing unbelievable

Similar to where my parents moved ~10 years ago (aside from where they are being hillier and more winding)...

but still, people speed, the occasional person drunk drives.

But UNDERTAKING on a single lane road... f***... that is like a 1 idiot in 100 idiots move before consider the drinking, speeding and likely breaking road limits at same time.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s too many people that don’t know how to drive, whether it be that or people who become unpredictable by ceding their right of way.

Just had to delete a big Facebook post about it.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've seen some wild ass stuff from drivers in that area. It's a shame the driver ahead wasn't making room for a big tractor instead. Just utterly depressing stuff. Nobody has ever indicated the Gaudreaus should be held in anything but the highest esteem.

And today is supposed to be his sister's wedding day!!! What the hell do you even do about that? That's incomprehensible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad