Johnny Gaudreau, brother Matthew pass away after being struck by drunk driver in Salem County, NJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
My proudest memories playing hockey were from sharing the ice with Johnny, getting beaten time after time, and simply being in awe of his gifts and talent. I was just one of thousands of opponents he played against, and he never knew my name, but I’ve know his since we were 12 years old. I’ve carried those memories so proudly with me into adulthood.

I can’t make sense of this. Just unimaginably sad. I can only take solace in the fact that his life was a profoundly positive memory to me and so many others. Whatever peace can be found for the Gaudreau family, I truly hope they find it.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Rest in peace Johnny ❤️

A South Jersey legend.

Bl7B2ONCEAAOyYI.jpg

Reactions: BernieParent

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I saw the mainboards thread title of "Johnny Gaudreau passes away" and thought it was surely a poor clickbait title that was going to show a montage of amazing Gaudreau passes because the alternative didn't seem like a possibility.

Horrible horrible story. Deep condolences to their family and friends.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Man, saw this last night when that jerk off "journalist" posted his speculation, was constantly refreshing hoping it wasn't true. So sad. People drive absolutely crazy any more.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So horrific.

And given those facts released about how the accident happened? What the hell.

That is not just drunk driving, that is drunk, dangerous, reckless and almost certainly speeding.

UNDERTAKING a car on a road like that? A country lane basically with no sidewalk?

And I believe the road in question is a 30 MPH road... no way he was going 30 to kill them both. Having worked for Cyling UK and knowing the stats? A car hits you at 30 on a bicycle you are going to be badly hurt but rarely dead. (like ~15% chance)

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Driving to/from the Jersey Shore on those back roads and see people going into the other lanes to pass slow moving cars always freaks me out. This is just completely sad and avoidable. Complete tragedy

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
So horrific.

That is not just drunk driving, that is drunk, dangerous, reckless and almost certainly speeding.

UNDERTAKING a car on a road like that? A country lane basically with no sidewalk?

And I believe the road in question is a 30 MPH road... no way he was going 30 to kill them both. Having worked for Cyling UK and knowing the stats? A car hits you at 30 on a bicycle you are going to be badly hurt but rarely dead. (like ~15% chance)
Having driven on this very road I will say people there drive crazy they seem to think since it's not populous that the speed limits aren't really needed. The problem is there are lots of people riding bikes and people moving farm equipment along the shoulders.

RIP Johnny and Matt.

Prayers to the family and more so their sister who was supposed to have the best day of her life this weekend.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The problem is there are lots of people riding bikes and people moving farm equipment along the shoulders.
The street view of the road in question, literally does not have shoulders.
So horrific.

Yeah no one does 30 on those roads in small towns. Sounds like he was passing a car in the first place on a single lane road.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Having driven on this very road I will say people there drive crazy they seem to think since it's not populous that the speed limits aren't really needed. The problem is there are lots of people riding bikes and people moving farm equipment along the shoulders.

RIP Johnny and Matt.

Prayers to the family and more so their sister who was supposed to have the best day of her life this weekend.

Going off the report there is not even a shoulder in that part of the road and I have no idea how you could undertake a car in the middle of the road without putting two wheels in the dirt. Looking at streetview there is barely room for 2 cars.

To VEER across the road after already being in wrong lane, on a road that is seemingly barely 2 cars wide to begin with? And cut under another car, hitting two cyclists who are on right side where they should be in process?

He has to have been over the road limits too... f***... anyone could have been there, pedestrians, kids etc and would have been the same result.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So horrific.

This may actually be a failing of the actual driving laws too.

If anyone here has ever taken 347 or I think 49 (47 doesn’t have it) to the southern shore points in NJ, it is probably similar to that, one lane each way, where there is the solid and broken yellow lines where the road doesn’t curve - you’re allowed to pass in the oncoming lane. I’ve never done it myself, but have seen it a number of times on 347. This guy probably did the same thing countless times without a second thought. He was pissed off the other driver was going too slow when he was simply being respectful to cyclists in front of him.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The street view of the road in question, literally does not have shoulders.
Yeah no one does 30 on those roads in small towns. Sounds like he was passing a car in the first place on a single lane road.

Yeh, but to cut back under a car on such a road is madness... I have no idea how he kept 4 wheels on the tarmac given the streetview there if another car was in the middle of the road giving the Gaudreau's space.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I have absolutely no words here.. I cannot fathom this. When I saw the headline on CZ news, I thought it was a mistake. I am unable to imagine what are these days for their families, also given the fact about their sister's wedding... I am so sorry

Furthermore, when I read the description of the events how they occurred, it made no sense to me. The whole sequence is beyond reckless if I am imagining it at least a bit correctly. As @Appleyard mentioned re: the speed limit, it is difficult for me to imagine how does a vehicle under those circumstances kill two people. How fast would one have to go during this maneuver to kill one, let alone two?

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad