Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He has a very weak shot, but his release seems to make up for it in terms of beating goalies.

He also tends to flutter the puck a lot, which can make the puck move weirdly as it travels to the net.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
The benching (for one game, not two) was justified. Gaudreau needed to adjust to the NHL game, and viewing from the pressbox with someone in your ear is one way to help kids see the game differently. And it worked. But again, it's not really a lull in his career. It was a period of adjustment to a new league and a new difficulty level. He adjusted, and since then he's been a rock star.

It would be like calling Stamkos' first year in the league a lull. It would be like saying Stamkos had a lull in his first couple months in the league.

Fair enough. I agree.

I'll just say I misinterpreted the other post.

I think Gaudreau's release as others have said is deceptive. I think he is able to release the puck from a plethora of odd angles (body and position vs the net) which allows him to catch the goalie off guard.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll eat crow a bit. I didn't think he'd be able to pull it off when he wasn't surprising anyone anymore, but his improvisation and shiftiness is second to none. I thought people would catch on and slow him down but he's just amazing at disappearing and reappearing. Definitely didn't expect him to be over PPG, especially considering the tire fire Calgary was to start. Now he's looked good DESPITE the team around him, too. Very unique player and a hell of a lot of fun to watch, has that Kane creativity and brain to match.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau's such an odd player to try to project. If you were to list all of his attributes, there are very few that are anywhere close to average; he's either in the top 5% or bottom 5% of NHLers.

Hockey Sense? Elite
Vision? Elite
Passing (technically) ? Elite
Skating (technically) ? Elite
Puck Handling? Elite

Shooting Power? Mediocre to Bad
Strength? Possibly the weakest in the NHL

That's where the difficulty comes from. Gaudreau fans see his unreal intelligence and technical skills, and he's right there with the superstars of the game. Naysayers see that physically he's maybe the weakest player in hockey, and think that it should hold him back severely.

It's easy to look at a player who's more or less average at everything, and say that he'll likely be more or less average. But the more wildly a player's skills vary the harder it is to guess. There are countless players out there with a few other-worldly skills who just couldn't put it together, and then there are players who get by almost entirely on one strong attribute.

I could see where people got caught up on his size. But his IQ, even as a prospect, was just way too good to ignore for me.

I would argue that he processes and reacts to the game better than anyone in the world. Add that to his excellent quickness and hands, and it was pretty obvious that he would soon be dominating the NHL after not too long.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how Panarin improves. I think he has the potential to be superior then Gaudreau since he has similar IQ levels, and especially since his shooting power and strength are above what Gaudreau has. He's sort of like the Russian version. And he plays with Kane so his points will continually augment.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could see where people got caught up on his size. But his IQ, even as a prospect, was just way too good to ignore for me.

I would argue that he processes and reacts to the game better than anyone in the world. Add that to his excellent quickness and hands, and it was pretty obvious that he would soon be dominating the NHL after not too long.

Whiskey, how on pace is he based on your scoring chart for year 2 so far? I think he's right on pace if I remember correctly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Whiskey, how on pace is he based on your scoring chart for year 2 so far? I think he's right on pace if I remember correctly.

I think the numbers I ran would have had him anywhere from 85-90 points this season, so he is pacing well, especially considering how poor Calgary has been playing as a whole.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gaudreau'll never have the power on his shot that guys like Seguin and Ovechkin do but he gets "enough" power onto his shot that it's not a total muffin either. As mentioned the release is probably more important than the strength.

[NHL]630345[/NHL]
[NHL]821855[/NHL]
[NHL]858746[/NHL]
[NHL]866514[/NHL]

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've never noticed his lack of shot power because unless one is an absolutely elite shooter like Ovi or Stamkos, no NHL goalies are fooled by simply overpowering shots, it's deception and tricky releases that mess them up and gaudreau has that in spades

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I love Gaudreau as much as the next guy and am inherently biased, but to say he has never had lulls is not true. IIRC, I'm quite sure he started off poorly, was placed in the press box to be ready for demotion, but a game after that press box sitting, he became Calder dark horse Gaudreau. He didn't start last season with elite play. A transition period took place. To say otherwise is pure revisionist history.

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/10/18/give-the-gaudreau-demotion-talk-a-rest-at-least-for-now
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2014_09_01_archive.html

These links mention Gaudreau's obvious talent but mention the poor start and the potential AHL demotion/mentions he probably would be back in the NHL sooner than later.

I believe there's an interview somewhere this off season where Brian Burke said management was getting ready to demote him. Luckily, Gaudreau instead figured things out and tore up the league after the press box visit and I think Granlund was sent down instead (or maybe it was Barts, I don't recall). Furthermore, Burke supposedly sat Gaudreau down and told him not to change his game or he'd be sent down for sure. But unfortunately I can't find the interviews or an article mentioning it.

Gaudreau made the team just barely over Baertschi last season IIRC. He was our 1st line LW after overtaking Raymond (2nd Line), Glencross (1st line/traded), Baertschi (4th line expected, but never got it, was last demotion instead), Bollig (3rd/4th) and Bouma (3rd/4th). I have no doubt that the part about Gaudreau being heads and shoulders above everyone else in rookie camp is probably true. It's rookie camp after all playing games mostly against prospects. It's amazing to see how much Gaudreau has grown in a single year (though it feels like he's been in the league longer).

Sorry, but not exactly as you describe. I remember clear as day allll through training camp the Gaudreau was outperforming everyone. I had lots of time off (unfortunately and listened to a lot of sports radio).

The difference is that early in his FIRST PRO SEASON he received the normal extra-critical treatment and in Johnny's case it was particularly critical because of his size. Like every small player they have to prove themselves twice as much as normal players - and this was no different in JG's case. I know I was disappointed in his demotion to the press-box (I thought a clear overreaction). Johnny's play overall was just fine early on. Look what happened with Sam Bennett this year? What did he have, a point through his first 8 or 9 games and everyone was talking that maybe he should be sent down to the AHL.

You're right that Johnny responded super well (which was extremely important), but the fact is rookies (particularly small ones) are never given an equal leash to proven players.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The benching (for one game, not two) was justified. Gaudreau needed to adjust to the NHL game, and viewing from the pressbox with someone in your ear is one way to help kids see the game differently. And it worked. But again, it's not really a lull in his career. It was a period of adjustment to a new league and a new difficulty level. He adjusted, and since then he's been a rock star.

It would be like calling Stamkos' first year in the league a lull. It would be like saying Stamkos had a lull in his first couple months in the league.

1 you're sure? I thought it was 2. My bad.

Aug 3, 2010
I find him stylistically to be a Datsyuk/Crosby hybrid.

Datsyuk, yes. Crosby, no.

Crosby is literally the best grinder in the game, with hockey IQ making all the difference. It's not that he lacks finesse but it's that his game thrives in the dirty areas in front of the net and in the corners.

Gaudreau doesn't shy away from contact but he rarely initiates it. He can survive in the corners but doesn't make a living setting plays from there. Open ice is his best friend.

Right now, Gaudreau has Datsyuk's hockey IQ/hands/effort and Tanguay's mindset.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I find him stylistically to be a Datsyuk/Crosby hybrid.

Johnny is pretty unique stylistically. Not saying he is anywhere as good, but definitely see some Gretzky in there. Particularly the way he gets players to chase him while he has the puck and the no look passes. Doesn't have a slapper like the Great one though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Datsyuk, yes. Crosby, no.

Crosby is literally the best grinder in the game, with hockey IQ making all the difference. It's not that he lacks finesse but it's that his game thrives in the dirty areas in front of the net and in the corners.

Gaudreau doesn't shy away from contact but he rarely initiates it. He can survive in the corners but doesn't make a living setting plays from there. Open ice is his best friend.

Right now, Gaudreau has Datsyuk's hockey IQ/hands/effort and Tanguay's mindset.

I actually really like the Crosby comparison, I think they both process the game and see the ice in the same way, which is evident in their ability to find open space and make passes nobody else sees. If you watch them both, they make create a lot of scoring plays from the same areas. They score most of their goals around the net, utilizing their elite anticipation and hand skills (the puck just seems to find them both - its amazing how open they can get when they are typically the sole focus of the opposition.

They also love to create from below the goal line, just by different means - Gaudreau using his quickness, edge control, and hand skills; Crosby using his strength and puck protection. But what makes them the most difficult to stop is their unpredictability. Both guys seem to be able to make quick one touch passes when needed, or fake the quick pass in order to wait for a better option. Defenders seem hesitant to pressure both in fear of being pulled out of position.

I know a lot of guys like the Kane comparison, and certainly they look similar in terms of puck handling, shooting style, and build, but they approach the game very differently IMO - Kane tends to be more of a perimeter player who loves to hang on to the puck and make plays from the outside. Johnny plays the game in the dirty areas ala Crosby. Corners, side of the net, behind the net etc. The main commonality in terms of their approach is their patience and creativity, which are both elite. I'd say his creativity is also similar to that of Datsyuk and Crosby.

Defensively, I see a lot of Datsyuk. He's just an absolute puck thief and creates tons of turnovers because he reads the play so well. He's probably a top 10 puck stealer in the league.

He's got a lot of the same puck skills as Datsyuk / Kane, he's definitely in the conversation for best puck handler / dangler in the league. I'd say he's top 3, an argument could be made for #1.

His vision with the puck is #1 in the league IMO. He sets up half a dozen grade A chances per game. I've said it for years, he's got the best vision I've seen since Gretzky. But what is possibly his best attribute is his instinct for open ice. The puck just finds him, like it did the all time greats.

So, he's a pretty dangerous offensive player.

- Top 10 puck thief
- Top 3 puck handler / dangler
- Best playmaker / vision
- Best anticipation / ability to find the puck

Add in great agility and edge control and a quick, accurate release, and you've got a perennial art ross contender. Which I fully expect him to become.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
OK, I probably love Johnny more than anyone else other than his parents and WhiskeyYourTheDevils, but I have to object to the claim his puck-handling and defensive game are comparable to Datsyuk's. That's just not true. No one could compare to Datsyuk in his prime as a two-way forward, I'd say he's probably still in the top 5 or even top 3 league-wide now, and his puck control will remain otherworldly until he retires. Johnny is good at takeaways, but his defensive game is really not that exceptional at this point. He's solid, but by no means Datsyuk-like. And as great a stickhandler as he is, Datsyuk is better. There's no argument there.

JG still has a ways to go before he can be compared to Datsyuk and there's no shame in that. (I can't think of any other player who could compare to Datsyuk as a stickhandler either.) But we can talk again in ten years.

*By 'compared' here I don't mean 'likened to' but 'said to possess a similar level of skill,' which is how I read WYTD's post above.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
OK, I probably love Johnny more than anyone else other than his parents and WhiskeyYourTheDevils, but I have to object to the claim his puck-handling and defensive game are comparable to Datsyuk's. That's just not true. No one could compare to Datsyuk in his prime as a two-way forward, I'd say he's probably still in the top 5 or even top 3 league-wide now, and his puck control will remain otherworldly until he retires. Johnny is good at takeaways, but his defensive game is really not that exceptional at this point. He's solid, but by no means Datsyuk-like. And as great a stickhandler as he is, Datsyuk is better. There's no argument there.

JG still has a ways to go before he can be compared to Datsyuk and there's no shame in that. (I can't think of any other player who could compare to Datsyuk as a stickhandler either.) But we can talk again in ten years.

*By 'compared' here I don't mean 'likened to' but 'said to possess a similar level of skill,' which is how I read WYTD's post above.

I may have misread, but I think he meant he plays a similar game that Datsyuk plays, and not "he is Datsyuk". Play style, he does remind me of Datsyuk a bit. Not nearly as good though.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's a great player but he absolutely is not the best playmaker/have the best vision in the league. Don't be ridiculous

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I may have misread, but I think he meant he plays a similar game that Datsyuk plays, and not "he is Datsyuk". Play style, he does remind me of Datsyuk a bit. Not nearly as good though.

Yea absolutely. He's not on Datsyuk's level defensively, but they read the game in a lot of the same ways and are able to make a lot of the same types of defensive plays.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
He's a great player but he absolutely is not the best playmaker/have the best vision in the league. Don't be ridiculous

I don't know...Whiskey has been saying "ridiculous" things about JG for years now and people on him laughed at him/her. It turns out, a lot of those things turned out to be true... :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad